Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Middle door or Front door

Posted By: vacuumbed on 02/23/11 05:56pm

Many coach builders have got away from middle entry doors after the mid 90's. Which do you have and why do you like it?

I kinda like the middle door because it reminds me of my travel trailer.

Posted By: Joy on 02/23/11 06:02pm

Usually you will find middle doors on gassers and front doors on DPs. We prefer the front door - the space in front of the co-pilot seat can't be used for much else, anyway, and it allows for more usable space in the living area. A middle door lets you enter closer to the kitchen so bringing in stuff is easier but it takes away a relatively sizable amount of space from the living area.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

Posted By: BarbaraOK on 02/23/11 06:04pm

As far as I know, gassers always have mid doors. For DPs, there were very few that regularly made mid-doors after about the mid 90s. Newell still does, and Newmar will do special orders, but usually the DPs have front doors. One of the reason we purchased our Alpine was because they routinely made mid-door DPs. I like coming into the kitchen area, rather than the living room.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Traveling catpanion Shadow (age 17)
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS)
Mischief
(2004 Subaru Forester Toad)
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Posted By: Mr.Mark on 02/23/11 06:09pm

Generally, if you have a middle door, you are not going to have a slide on the front passenger side (unless you order a Newell).

Personally, I would rather have two slides in the living area of an a class-A coach as it really opens it up.

Some people will say that the a front passenger slide will take up patio space. I've never found that to be an issue with ours as our automatic patio cover is attached to the slide. I just don't think 18-24 inches is going to ruin the patio area.

So, I vote for the front entry door as that's the best use of the dead space.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Class A (45 ft.)

Posted By: dalehelman on 02/23/11 06:14pm

Side doors are required with front engine MH because front engines block front entry.
Very few rear engine MH have side doors. It seems to me that a door takes up about 2 feet of wall space where ever it is.

Dale & Sandi
2006 Jeep TJ 4.0 w/33s 4" lift
2008 Winnabago Adventurer 38T
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

Posted By: MeanderMan on 02/23/11 06:32pm

We've had both, mid-entry on our gasser and now the front entry. I'd much rather have a mid entry. Having to track in everything through the front is a pain, whether it's the groceries or the meat from the BBQ. The front entry is generally not on the patio "pad", but in the grass or mud, and with the mid entry, sitting in the lounge area, it's more pleasant with the awning down and the door open. There are gas models, Winnebago makes a few, with two slides on the mid entry, and the floor plan would work on a DP also. My wife also preferred the mid entry because it provided an obstructed view from her seat - now it's blocked by the door frame and screen.

Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

Posted By: summerhouse on 02/23/11 10:54pm

We started looking at Class A's this winter and after tromping in and out of dozens and dozenz, I prefer the mid-door. It just seems much more open and airy with it in that location. Seems much, much more convenient for bringing in things and very much more convenient for cooking/grilling outdoors, which we mostly do when camping. We are currently intersted in a gas model with opposong slides, which was another criteria that we insist on next time around.

Very good subject to be addressing in my opinion, and inquiring about!

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 'Summerhouse'
Ford 6.8 L Triton V10 5spd

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

Posted By: Canadian Rainbirds on 02/24/11 12:20am

We love our front entry. We had side entry gassers for years, now well into our third year of a 32'DP, front entry.

20,000 miles since we left here (Zihuatanejo, Mexico) last March. The living area and galley are much more useful. And, in this "short" rig, we have room for a dinette and a couch!

Posted By: Raymon on 02/24/11 05:32am

Just a note: some mid-doors are located directly in the middle of the outside awning making it nearly impossible to place a full size picnic table completely under the awning. We like to place the picnic table under the awning when our grandchild are with us. We also find the front door less disruptive to the floor plan; cannot use the apace in front of the passenger seat anyway. It's personal thing and both have pros and cons. JMHO.

Posted By: kjbkjb on 02/24/11 05:44am

We really like our mid door. I find as the primary driver I get out of the RV much more than my wife does for things like gas and letting the dog out. Her area is normally “cluttered” with maps, reading material, local tourist information etc. As mentioned, walking directly into the kitchen is a big plus for us.

Posted By: PackerBacker on 02/24/11 05:46am

We have a mid-door (gaser) and never had a front one so I really cannot compare from experience. However, with our mid-door I can turn the right front passenger seat around and move it all the way forward to the dash. Moving stuff in and out is really easy and it also gives us coverage under the awning.

Personally I really do not care for a slide that comes out from the passenger mid-side, it takes too much away from my awning space; that's just my preference.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

Posted By: sundancer268 on 02/23/11 06:51pm

I have the front entry and would much prefer the mid entry. I do not have or want a slide out and would prefer the door to be under the patio awning. I could buy an awning for the front door, but I consider 3' awnings more for windows and not proper protection from the elements like the 8' patio awning.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2005 Ford Focus Automatic Station Wagon
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain

Posted By: Lug_Nut on 02/23/11 07:27pm

Here is an article in RV.NET blog that might be of interest. http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/mid-entry-diesel-pushers/

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

Posted By: vacuumbed on 02/23/11 08:23pm

Lug_Nut wrote:

Here is an article in RV.NET blog that might be of interest. http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/mid-entry-diesel-pushers/

Thanks for posting this, it was very insightful.

I wanted to thank everyone else that posted as well, very good insight on this topic.

Posted By: SS Slacker on 02/24/11 03:09pm

I always like the mid door entry, but now after having the front door entry I actually prefer it over the mid door. I really like having the entrance to the RV off to the side of the patio/awning area. I also use ours to launch our boat in the summer and love having the door right there to jump out of without going through the middle of the RV. My old mid door had a drivers door which worked well for me and I liked it. A mid door without a drivers door would not work well for me as we are not stationary very long and I am always in and out the door.

I was inside of a mid door quad slide Newell a couple of years ago while the slides were in. I thought it was very odd that you had to pretty much crawl over the couches to get to the front drivers position. I did not like it at all and thought it would be much better with the front entrance.

Dan & Tracy
2 kids ages 9 and 11
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed

Posted By: foxtrottwo on 02/24/11 03:24pm

Joy wrote:

Usually you will find middle doors on gassers and front doors on DPs. We prefer the front door - the space in front of the co-pilot seat can't be used for much else, anyway, and it allows for more usable space in the living area. A middle door lets you enter closer to the kitchen so bringing in stuff is easier but it takes away a relatively sizable amount of space from the living area.

X2 Allan

Posted By: wandering1 on 02/24/11 10:37am

I like the rear door.

HR

Posted By: barbandwayne on 02/24/11 10:45am

phxmtngirl wrote:

Mid entry for us. I don't like the passenger seat set back so far in the front entry.

Same here, but in ours, you enter onto the carpeted surface. Why on earth did someone come up with that idea. It is not 'user-friendly' especially when you camp in state parks, etc where there is lots of dirt. CANNOT keep the carpet clean! I have a thick towel folded over the landing to catch the dirt and just throw the towel in the washer after each trip.

Posted By: sailor_lou on 02/24/11 11:20am

We have had both and the only problem I have with front door is the small awning over it doesn't cover very much and is pretty useless in a driving rain. Not a problem with the mid door setup, but certainly not a significant enough problem to give up a slide. As mentioned above, I did see a four slide Newell with a mid-door, which IMO is perfect.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy 38DS04

Posted By: phxmtngirl on 02/24/11 08:50am

Mid entry for us. I don't like the passenger seat set back so far in the front entry.

Posted By: horizon36 on 02/24/11 08:59am

Joy wrote:

Me Too! It's a more efficient use of space from my perspective.

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

Posted By: donee on 02/24/11 09:32am

Our Monaco has a mid entry which I like as it enters to the kitchen.
Only thing I would like to have is a door by the drivers seat.
The mid entry is the only entry to the coach.

donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
08 Monaco Monarch 30SFS
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.

Posted By: wny_pat on 02/24/11 10:09am

We have a mid-door on our '94 36' DP. DW like it and did not want one in the front. She doesn't like the ones with the front door. I don't like the mid door cause I have to walk thru the living area to the drivers seat after fueling. But now that we have a hard wood floor instead of carpet, I don't mind walking thru the living area. Plus I have to keep the DW happy - so mid door it is! Plus I would not trade my Foretravel for anything I've seen out there.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Print  |  Close