|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Max Length of 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kwoapff

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will soon be buying a 5th wheel for full-time living. We have been told to buy a trailer 30' or less, due to limitations in alot of parks. We are planning on buying a 39' Montana. Do not want to make a mistake, advice appreciated!

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most state/federal parks have limits of about 30',but some are making longer sites and most private campgrounds have long sites.Never had a problem with our 40' finding a campground.When in dought call ahead and ask.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stayed mainly in State Parks. I haven't been in one that wouldn't hold a 39' RV. Other parts of the country may be different.

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purely a personal choice, dependent upon where you like to stay and your need for space. A smaller footprint of 30' gives you more options at public campgrounds, many of which were built back during the days of the CCC when tent camping and smaller RVs were the norm. While there are some large sites in those campgrounds, there aren't many. The overall length of your TV and a 39 footer will prohibit you from using some parks due to the park's layout, winding roads, rocks, and trees, etc.

You'll simply have to be more vigilant in planning when staying in government campgrounds. You won't have a problem in private RV parking lots.

RVn Full-time

WellShooter2

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally wouldn't go over about 36'. Maneuvering anything longer gets to be very stressful. But that's just me. Maybe.

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

wildwood32

east moline,ill

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine,is a 34',36 total and have only run into trouble a couple of times,I always got it backed in but sometimes if the campground is like said,an older one they tend to be smaller spots.Was always able to get in though,just a little tougher.I don't know if I would give up the extra space just because I'm worried if I will fit into some campground at somepoint..

If its Friday,see ya on monday.Have camper,will camp.

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kwoapff wrote:

Will soon be buying a 5th wheel for full-time living. We have been told to buy a trailer 30' or less, due to limitations in alot of parks. We are planning on buying a 39' Montana. Do not want to make a mistake, advice appreciated!

I would think that the Carrying Capacity of that Montana as a full time rig would be very limited. I believe all Monty's still come with Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE rated to 3420 each. Time you put a 39 foot trailer on those, the CC will be limited for all the stuff a full timer. Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all state parks are limited in the size of their lots to the degree that under 30' is necessary and research prior to you visiting one will avoid that problem anyway.

We have met many people in our snowbird travels full-timing in Mantana trailers for just one example of a trailer over 36 feet long. Just take a drive to any Rv park or state park in your area during 'high' season and take a gander at what's in there.

* This post was edited 02/27/11 07:48am by bstark *

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

SH

Lynden, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No issues towing our 38'. We have found however, that although most state parks may have sites long enough, it is the access roads to the site that are the bigger challenge. Many of the roads have tighter turns and close/low trees. We prefer private parks which usually have easier access.

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo
Heartland Owners Club - Washington Chapter Leaders

Bluefreight

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few problems west of the Mississippi and north of DC. The northeast tends to have older smaller sites. Most KOA's tend to be old and small everywhere. We are 40' long pulled by a 26' Freightliner. A bigger concern might be height in the east. We are 13'6" high.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Max Length of 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS