RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Smokie123

East Lansing, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever noticed that in most modern 5th wheels there is only one 12 volt plug? It’s WAY up in the front (on most units) with the TV amplifier. I’ve found that some cell phone chargers don’t fit in that 12 volt plug either. It’s forced me to install one under my TV area not only for 12 volt access but to allow us to use a small inverter to run the TV while on the road for over nights when “dry docking”. Additionally, I’ve found the need to install another one in the rear bedroom for the kids that gives them the ability to charge the electronics they feel they need for traveling.

I wonder why the newer models don’t have such luxuries like additional 12 volt plugs? An older travel trailer we owned had them through out. I’m told by the dealer that most RVers don’t “dry camp” any more and pull from one plug camp ground to another. Hmmmm… I know “to each his own” but seriously?!?! I’m thinking that once in a while every RVer finds themselves parked in a Wal-Mart or rest area over night. We sure miss our convenient 12 volt plugs does any one else?

carpetride

Mo

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HeHe! I've wondered what all the fuss was about with those. I don't have electronics that would use that type of plug. Yep, you are right we haven't boondocked yet...

2011 F-250 6.7 Lariat CC SWB w/16K Superglide
Airlift 5000 bags with on board compressor
2012 Open Range 399BHS

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I certainly would have no use for a 12 volt plug in and I think you are generalizing more than a bit when you say "that once in a while every RVer finds themselves parked in a Wal-Mart or rest area over night." Never have and never will.

BiggerBen

Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About half of our camping weekend trips are dry camping trips (unserviced sites usually, rarely do we boondock) and we haven't needed a 12volt outlet yet. Sometimes we will bring our generator along if we think will want/need power, but usually it stays home.

We only seek out powered sites on extended vacation trips for convenience.

2005 Kustom Koach Legacy LW275
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD SRW
DW, Sadie and Lucie (our dog and cat)

CurtNLA

Wicksburg, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I have a 12V plug, I do not know where it is. I have a 12V Minder Meter that I intend to install just above my main power panel, but I will cut the plug end off of it and wire it direct. The only other thing I know of that I considered for purchase is the Portable Automatic Sattellite Dish which required a 12V line to be run to it as well as the regular cable. I decided to go with the manual version instead. I think I read somewhere that there is now a 120VAC to 12VDC that can be used with the Automatic.

I do not run 110VAC items through an inverter except in my truck or car. I only use those items occasionally to charge phones, run my notebook computer and/or printer.

I also do not boondock or overnight at WalMart.

I don't have kids and the cat doesn't need electronic toys.

Emptypockets

North Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wired in a 12 volt receptacle(cigarette lighter style} to run a phone charger & or a 12 volt fan when we dry camp. There are several places to find 12 volt wiring.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've added a couple of them for when we dry camp. Very handy for charging the cell phone, plugging in a volt meter, etc.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

SH

Lynden, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I must also be missing something! Never had an RV with them and so far, never needed one.

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo
Heartland Owners Club - Washington Chapter Leaders

WellShooter2

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:

I guess I must also be missing something! Never had an RV with them and so far, never needed one.

It's for the people that aren't going 'camping' without all their modern communications stuff. If I was going boondocking it would be to get away from TV and Cell Phones.

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WellShooter2 wrote:

SH wrote:

It's for the people that aren't going 'camping' without all their modern communications stuff. If I was going boondocking it would be to get away from TV and Cell Phones.

Well said and we have never stayed at walmart and don't plan to.

04 Dodge CTD
08 Bighorn 3370
04 Keystone Springdale 245 RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts