RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mighty Ming

Carlsbad

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smokey the reason I searched this subject is...I'm going to install several more of these outlets. Our TT came with one way up behind the tv mounted high up on the wall. I do carry a portable power pack for jump starts etc (has come in handy for other neighbors who woke up to dead Tow Vehicle batteries). The power pack allows me to charge cell phones etc..some of you laugh and say "If boon-docking I don't have a TV or Cell phone" but in reality we ALL have them and need to keep them charged for various reasons...medical emergencies, the kids need to reach us etc. A dead cell phone equals a brick. When the big quake hit Japan we were dry camping (or is it rv'ing) on a state beach along the Calif coast. Our cell phones blew up with calls at about midnight...Tsunami warnings along the beaches! In that case was nice to have phone contact and the ability to turn on the television to see the news via DC power (no geni's allowed after 8pm). Should I EVER find myself too tired to drive on....I will stop at Walmart to sleep, nowadays most cities have Municipal Code Ordinances which prohibit sleeping/camping at night in public places..I'm sure there are a few on here that have either been warned, asked to move on or cited for this. $$ ouch. Just my 2 cents...now to go install those outlets. Good Times!

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am still living in the dark ages, we had only one outlet by the entrance door and it was totally sufficient for our needs, even after we bought cell phones and an AC/DC television set. Had a bunch of AC outlets and used them when we could use the generator. Getting new trailer and maybe I will find a need for a bunch of DC plug-ins and maybe I won't; only time will tell.

John A. Lichty

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current 12v plugs next to the antenna connection is a hold-over from the "old days". The television antenna needs 12 volts to the amplifier head and since the wiring is already there, the 12 volt plug is installed. That plug if you were to measure it, is not the same size as a standard 12 volt automotive socket. If memory serves me correctly, it is somewhat bigger. In order to place more 12 volt sockets around the trailer, additional wiring would have to run, dedicated for just those plugs, i.e., they shouldn't be jumpered off existing lighting wiring because the loads that could be placed on a plug's output could be substantially higher than those of an incandescent circuit leading to a in-wall fire.

Basically, you won't find more than the one plug next to the TV antenna's power supply because it would cost more to install them by the manufacturers just to please the relatively few people that desire them. Just as you won't find telephone jacks/hookups in most new rigs...there just aren't enough users to justify the manufacturer's cost in installing them...they can save a few bucks/trailer (mounts up over thousands of trailers) and most people don't even know they are gone.

Personally, for the "camping" we do, I don't miss either the phone jacks or the 12 volt socket. In fact my new truck and my '08 Jeep have inverters installed with 110v jacks in the vehicle. I suspect it won't be a lot longer before 12 volt sockets in vehicles are "obsolete" and non-existent.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be safe to say a trailer with a built in generator could use to have several built in 12 volt jacks???

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smokie123 wrote:

Have you ever noticed that in most modern 5th wheels there is only one 12 volt plug? It’s WAY up in the front (on most units) with the TV amplifier. I’ve found that some cell phone chargers don’t fit in that 12 volt plug either. It’s forced me to install one under my TV area not only for 12 volt access but to allow us to use a small inverter to run the TV while on the road for over nights when “dry docking”. Additionally, I’ve found the need to install another one in the rear bedroom for the kids that gives them the ability to charge the electronics they feel they need for traveling.

I wonder why the newer models don’t have such luxuries like additional 12 volt plugs? An older travel trailer we owned had them through out. I’m told by the dealer that most RVers don’t “dry camp” any more and pull from one plug camp ground to another. Hmmmm… I know “to each his own” but seriously?!?! I’m thinking that once in a while every RVer finds themselves parked in a Wal-Mart or rest area over night. We sure miss our convenient 12 volt plugs does any one else?

Years ago we did have 12v plugs and u are right not anymore. As for boondocking; generators, inverters, and solar panels fit that bill.

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

SailingOn

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our original radio died, I replaced it with a smaller marine (with weather band!) unit, leaving room on the panel for a voltmeter, USB charging connection and a 12v power plug we use for cell phones, the Sirius tuner from the car, etc.
The 12v power plug is one of these, much smaller and easier to connect-disconnect than the cigarette lighter version. You do have to build charge cords to match, but the cost is minimal.

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2010 travel trailer doesn't have any 12 volt plugs...

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cwit

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get a kick out of the 12 volt plug is dead in rv-campers yet I have 3 of them in my truck and all are in use when on a trip. I also put 2 extra in our camper. We are to poor for an rv lol. My wifes I phone is always on charge, truck or camper.

Ohiojude

Greensburg PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just used our new 5th wheel this past weekend (boondocking it) and I said a couple of times i wish we had the 12v outlets. Our TC has 4 of them. I know we will be installing at least one or two. We do alot of boondocking/dry camping also.

I'm glad I am not alone

05 Chevy 3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison, **traded in the lemon of the year-2012 Winnie Raven for 2014 BC 3596RE which is always loaded and ready

AZ T&T

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a huge pet peeve of mine! It seems that the RV manufacturers have forgotten about the people who primarily boondock. We added 3 additional 12v outlets in our new rig.

AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sure miss the 12 volt plugs...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels