RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Weight Distribution hitch question?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Weight Distribution hitch question?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
marc515

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/11 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys; I think I got it.

So, considering we're getting a smaller 20-23' trailer under 5,000Lbs, which is the most recommended trailer hitch brand and model?

Best Regards,....marc & joan

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reese has a nice selection of WD hitches that have integrated sway control that would be worth looking into. Also Reese, Draw-Tite, etc., have basic WD hitches as well, and you can add a manual friction sway bar.

ON EDIT: As you look at "lite" TT's, also check on the TT's A-frame for any stickers (near the ball coupler) that limits the size rating of a WD. An over-sized WD in some cases may cause damage to the TT frame.

Bob

* This post was edited 03/06/11 02:21pm by TURK2500 *

02 Chevy, 2500HD/4x4, 6.0L/4:10, GVWR 9,200lbs., GCWR 16,000lbs.
05 Jayco Eagle, 278FBS, GVWR 9,000lbs.
TV/TT loaded: 14,700lbs.
Loaded Tongue Weight: 1,250lbs.
Loaded TT weight: 8,400
Putnam XDR Class V, Reese HP Dual Cam.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/11 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basically a WD hitch will transfer 1/3 of its weight to the front axle of the Tow Vehicle, 1/3 back to the Trailer axle, and 1/3 will remain on the rear of the Tow Vehicle. SO for simple math, a 600 lb tounge weight without any WD will put 600 lbs on th erear of the Tow vehicel. Now add a properly adjusted WD hitch and 200 lbs of that weight transfers up to the front axle of the tow vehicle, and 200 lbs transfers back to the trailer axle, and that leaves the other 200 lbs on the back of the Tow vehicle. Total 600 lbs has been "Distributed", hence that is why they are called" Weight Distribution hitches". It may not be exactly 1/3 but it is close enough for this discussion and I used 600 lbs just because the math is easier. I suggest that you need a WD hitch. Hope this helps

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

270wsmhunter

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were looking at upgrading from a popup to a travel trailer I asked tons of questions on forums, rv dealers, and even my truck dealership. I got a ton of different answers. Long story short, get the WD hitch with sway control, you won't regret having it. We upgraded tow vehicles this winter to a Silverado 2500HD and I still plan on using the Equal-i-zer hitch we used with our 1500 Sierra. I don't think one can be over cautious when towing. Also, don't scrimp on a brake controller. We purchased a P3 Tekonsha and I loved it. New rig has built in controller otherwise the P3 would've gone in it.

Good Luck.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4
2011 Jayco 26BH

MackinawMan

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marc, let's put it this way.

We just bought a 2000 Ford F350, which is a 1 ton Super Duty truck.

Even with that, I will still run my Equalizer Brand WD/Sway control hitch...even though our Jayco Eagle has a relatively "light" loaded tongue weight of less than 1000 lbs.

2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

L_R_G

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a WDH will also reduce the amount the rear of the vehicle will drop which will result in better handling (as long as it's setup properly). If you've got a ton of weight on the rear of the vehicle it will result in the steering not being very responsive and reduce front wheel traction. Also highly recommend sway control. The price of a WDH/sway control isn't huge and will make for a much easier time towing.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marc515 wrote:

ghekiere1 wrote:

the WDH distributes the wheight of the TT over the front axel and the rear axel of the tow vehicle and the axle(s) of the TT. and lets the hitch carry more weight.

But to answer your question, no the trailer will still weigh the same

Maybe I didn't phrase question properly, so I'll go about it this way.

I was looking to get a mid-sized SUV, and most of them like the Explorer, Acadia, etc have a tow capacity of 5,000Lbs, and tongue weight capacity of 500Lbs. If I get a 20-23Ft TT with a GVWR of 4,000 LBS, the tongue weight at 13% would be 520Lbs, which would exceed the 500Lb TW rating.

So I figured I would need a larger SUV like a Durango, Tahoe, etc, but not sure I would really need a vehicle that big; although a larger vehicle wouldn't have to work as hard.

But if I understand the concept of the WDH, I could get a mid-sized SUV as the WDH will effectively keep me within the 500Lb TW capacity.

Be very careful here. The mid size SUVs you are referencing, including the new Explorer, are Front Wheel Drive based. And "many" FWD based vehicles can't use a WDH. Also remeber that 5000lb tow rating is with just a skinny 150lb driver. It goes down when you put the family in it. In reality. The vehicle rated to 5000lbs, can't reall tow 5000lbs.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/11 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turk2500 wrote:

...Little TT tongue weight is actually removed from the hitch ball during this process.

Just for clarification - the WD hitch does not remove ANY weight from the hitch ball during its' use. As a matter of fact, the pressure on the ball from the coupler INCREASES considerably during this time.
The reduction in weight comes at the receiver and the rear axle of the tow vehicle. There is no change at all in the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

Othertonka,
I suggest you and others take a good long look at the first post in this thread that explains how a WD hitch works.

I realize you were trying to give a simplified example but some of the things you posted are not at all accurate - especially regarding how much weight is put on the receiver or rear axle when the trailer is hooked up. You forgot to add the amount removed from the front axle and added to the rear in your example. That changes the whole example.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/11 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you need a WD hitch

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Turk2500 wrote:

...Little TT tongue weight is actually removed from the hitch ball during this process.

Just for clarification - the WD hitch does not remove ANY weight from the hitch ball during its' use. As a matter of fact, the pressure on the ball from the coupler INCREASES considerably during this time....snip

Barney,

Please note that my statement was focusing only on the TT tongue weight on the ball with the spring bars engaged..., although I concur that the spring bars introduce increased load when engaged (above TT tongue weight).

In respect to my comment that "little TT tongue weight is actually removed from the hitch ball"..., I had recalled that somewhere during the course of a prior forum thread discussion it was determined that a little (of little value) TT tongue weight was removed from the ball when engaging the spring bars, my memory must be slipping!

Bob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Weight Distribution hitch question?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS