RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Stabilizers for fifth wheels?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Stabilizers for fifth wheels?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/11 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After examining the issue, I got the Steadyfast. I just got them, so they are not yet installed. The reason for picking them over the JT's is that there are only 3 to adjust instead of 6. I hear that they both work very well. I also have Rotochoks and they are great.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/11 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi and fiver wrote:

I currently use chocks and king pin stabilizer ....looking to see if anyone has the JT's or the steady fast stabilization systems.. good bad and the uglys ....

The JTs system will eliminate wiggle issues.

A pin stabilizer can only eliminate side to side wiggle at the front when adjusted properly. Adsustable chocks will eliminate front to rear movement and Bal telescoping stabilizers will eliminate side to side wiggle at the rear. The JT system is just another way to eliminat wiggle.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

PMiller228

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrokenElbow wrote:

After examining the issue, I got the Steadyfast. I just got them, so they are not yet installed. The reason for picking them over the JT's is that there are only 3 to adjust instead of 6. I hear that they both work very well. I also have Rotochoks and they are great.

I'm thinking of getting the Steadyfast system too. I also like the idea of only 3 wingnuts to tighten. It appears to be well designed. The links to the reviews on the website are really positive. Let me know how they do after you install them.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 5.9 Cummins
2009 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
Me, Wife, & 3 Boys

Hemi and fiver

Parkville, MD.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/11 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for everyones imput... i do like the idea of only three large wing nuts to tighten on the steady fast trying to figure if the JTs work better becuase theres more? so many choices not enouh money lol...

2006 DODGE 2500 4X4 CTD SWB, w/Timbrens
2009 Sandpiper 316bht Triple slide Fifthwheel
WIFE, KIDS, AND CHOCOLATE LAB HERSHEY

Martyn

Bennett, Colorado, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/11 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at several trailers with the Steadyfast system installed, and I was not as impressed as I was by the JT's I had seen on other trailers. Yes they only have 3 stabilizers, but to me the additional stabilizers and the layout of the JT's made for a much more stable system.

That, of course, is only my opinion - feel free to purchase whatever you like the most! Bit like the 'which truck is best' debate - many different 'camps'!

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT's & Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
2006 Glastron MX175;
2009 Subaru Tribeca for the DW

ananda

Arroyo Grande, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/11 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might give Plug-it-right a look. I was at a Rally with our Carriage group and there was a couple selling the stabilizers. He sold six sets that weekend. I'm on the edge of getting them myself. Everyone said that they worked great. I shook the outside of the same trailer as mine that had them installed and noticed how much it moved from side to side. I then tried my trailer. The difference was amazing.

Pat

John Bridge

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/11 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think stabilizers are for sissies. Go with the flow.

Semi-"retarred" in 2006. :-) 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/11 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John Bridge wrote:

I think stabilizers are for sissies. Go with the flow.

Was wandering when one of your type would show up. One of your type even suggested folks that can't tolerate movement should just stay home.

Some folks may have a medical condition that makes the rcoking and swaying impossible to tolerate. I've had Menieres disease with its motion sickness issues and requie my palace on wheels to be rock solid. Others may simply like less motion for a more enjoyable camping experience.

hoopers

Loveland, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/11 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had JT's for a year now, and they work great. A huge improvement.

2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2013 Ford F150 4x4 ecoboost
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

VolCTD

Knoxville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ontariofarmer wrote:

Here are my stabilizers, I made. They are AWESOME

Did you have to fab most of it yourself or can you buy most of the pieces stock and put it together? Any more info would be great on how you did this.

Thanks!

2003 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 5.9L CTD LB, Vision 19.5 wheels & Hankook DH01's, PacBrake Airbags, ISSpro Gauges, Quadzilla XZT+
2008 Denali 28LBBS 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Stabilizers for fifth wheels?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS