RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: replace interior ceiling over bed/hallway

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> replace interior ceiling over bed/hallway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Awurst

New Caney

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/11 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the ceiling is drooping above the bed and hallway area. I dont know what kind of material it is or whats underneath. It seems to be a thick fabrick or vinal. In the pic below you can see the sags. i would like to put wood and paint it. or a colored fabrick. Any ideas plz

P.s. If im posting to many ?s on here plz let me know. Im trying to remodel this camper alone and dont know much about it. Im good with tools and dont have much money. Not trying to be annoying at all! Thx

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/11 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awurst wrote:

the ceiling is drooping above the bed and hallway area. I dont know what kind of material it is or whats underneath. It seems to be a thick fabrick or vinal. In the pic below you can see the sags. i would like to put wood and paint it. or a colored fabrick. Any ideas plz

P.s. If im posting to many ?s on here plz let me know. Im trying to remodel this camper alone and dont know much about it. Im good with tools and dont have much money. Not trying to be annoying at all! Thx

Auwurst, a drooping is signs that the structural integrity of the roof structure has been compromised.

Fortunately, if your camper is aluminum roofed, you simply need to remove the outer roofing and take measurements and pictures, then scoop out all of the rotten roof and ceiling and rebuild it.

The materials needed are rather inexpensive and can be had from any big box hardware store.

The inner ceiling material can be replaced with 4x8 sheets of luwann board that is painted white. This is what the ceiling in my camper is made of, as it was completely rebuilt by the previous owner.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Awurst

New Caney

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/11 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to see but you can see where the fabric is drooping

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/11 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aye, when the vinyl coating that was applied to the paneling starts drooping down, the wooden board behind it has been rotted out by moisture penetration.

You will need to completely replace the roof structure itself, which is usually 2x2s with luwann on the inside and a 1/4" plywood underneath the aluminum skin on the outside.

Awurst

New Caney

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/11 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Aye, when the vinyl coating that was applied to the paneling starts drooping down, the wooden board behind it has been rotted out by moisture penetration.

You will need to completely replace the roof structure itself, which is usually 2x2s with luwann on the inside and a 1/4" plywood underneath the aluminum skin on the outside.

Not what i wanted to here but that can be done! Thank you

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/11 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI,

It looks like the fabric has it's glue release, and that just requries some new glue put between the fabric and ceiling surface above it. That might be with a small hole and inject the glue somehow, about every 3" apart.

The cause is probably a small water leak on the roof.

If you can remove the light fixture, and then find that the fabric is held up by that light, then put the light back (to prevent tears in the fabric while you get supplies). You will want to put spray on contact cement as far as possible from the hole that is in the fabric around the light fixure. Draw the light fixture with a crayon, or something washable, chalk, or what you have, and then you can cut a larger hole in the fabric if you must, up to the edges of the light.

Think of the light as the center of the hole, and mark a X from there. Cut along the X in all 4 directions, so the fabric stays around the light fixture, and you will have a 4" square opening, that will all go back into place once you put glue on the ceiling, and fabric.

Air duct liner is attached with spray on contact cement all the time. You might be able to get a can at Johnstone Supply, or your local hardware store. The problem with a quart of contact cement is getting it to spread on the fabric, without soaking through, and getting it into the corners, with your one available opening. This repair should last several years. Be very careful to lift the fabric back into place, in such a way that it will not leave large buckles in the fabric. Once the contact cement on the fabric touches the ceiling, that part is stuck for 5 years, and is not moving anyplace! Smooth it out with something, a new paint roller sounds like it will work.

Practice before spraying the glue. You probably want to do this: Spray the glue starting towards the door, then work your way to the left or right, all the way around the camper. As you reach the door again, you will have practiced lifting the center of the fabric back to the ceiling, and use the clean paint roller to secure it to the roof, working toward one edge, drivers and then passenger side. That will leave any ridge against some sort of cabinet, not in the center of the ceiling.

Once the ceiling fabric is secure, work the paint roller over all the surface several times, making sure it is tight to the ceiling.

You will get a lot of chemical off-gassing, so have the windows open, no smoking, as the vapors might be flamible.

Then you will need to coat the roof with something that will stop the leaks. This is a great video to watch. It is a two part roof coating, that uses a catalysist. This should last a long time, and has a 5 year warranty. It looks really easy to install it yourself.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquidroof.html

It will seal all around all of your roof openings, and patch all your roof leaks, and be a white coating to help keep it cool in the summer. The extra thick coating also is said to help reduce rain noise, and might help lessen heat through the roof. 2 gallons is probably enough for your 15 - 19' long roof.

Fred.

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/11 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on my personal experience with troubled RV's, it appears to me from your picture that there has been an ongoing water entry issue.

One easy way to tell if the ceiling panel is rotten is to push on it with your fingers. That will tell you a lot. If it is soft and crunches when pressure is applied, then you have a water leak that has rotted out the ceiling panels and most likely the framing members as well.

Take a look at my website, link in my sig, and check out the Gallery 1 damage evaluation pics. When I took my roof off, I found it had been leaking a long time and the roof was very rotten.

The ceiling panels used in RV's is a thin mahogany wood panel with a vinyl coating on the surface. In about 100% of the ones I have worked on, the wood rots out before the vinyl covering lets go and droops down.

When you determine just what the cause is, then you will be able to assess the repair procedure better.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/11 01:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the process of helping my friend redo her ceiling. Hers was not a leak, but the glue. It just would not hold the fabric any longer. We decided to take it all down and put up 4x8 sheets of plastic from Lowes (16.00). Also we got the 10yr. elasticmeric roof paint from Home Depot and did the roof. I have a class c that had a leak over the bunk that I had to redo and again I used the plastic sheets,smooth on one side slight grain on the other. Don,t use luan, once it gets wet it stays wet. Just remember there are no dumb questions, ask away. Cathie

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 01:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post a couple roof pictures. In this picture, it looks like the ceiling is ok forward over the bed around the escape hatch. I guess it is a leak around one of the items on the roof like a fan, vent, AC, vent pipe cap, roof rack, or any other attachment point on the roof. I doubt you will be able to reattach the dropped fabric ceiling to the structural ceiling since it is stretched but you will most likely have to replace it anyway. Try to get the TC to a covered area of setup a good tarp and systematically document what you take apart and reassemble it the same way. Consider RHINO LINER on the roof. They do it for decks now so look into it. Spantex or Gaco flex might be good too.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not believe everyone who says you have roof damage until you pull the ceiling fabric down and check. Mine had no roof damage, it was just a bad batch of ceiling material that the foam backing started to deteriate. See my post on how i fixed mine. It includes the company where i got my headliner material and the glue i used.

Ceiling repair

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> replace interior ceiling over bed/hallway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS