Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Replacement A/C shrouds

Posted By: Mountain Mama on 03/10/11 06:46am

I haven't googled this online, but thought I'd ask here first to see if it's even possible to just buy replacment top shrouds for A/C units. Ours are getting brittle from the sun and weather & DH said they need to be replaced. Can they be purchased separately, and if so, suggestions where to get them are appreciated! TIA!

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Posted By: enblethen on 03/10/11 07:05am

Yes, shrouds can be purchased separately. You need to find a local place as shipping will get expensive due to size not weight. Get make and model so as to get the correct one.

shrouds

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Posted By: 22%Over on 03/10/11 07:09am

I just replaced both of mine. Do a Google search on your particular make/model and you will get alot of hits. After searching around, the best price delivered to my front door was from americanrvcompany.com. Mine were: Duotherm A/C rooftop with heat pumps. Dometic Part # 3309518.003 Replacement Shroud 12 Inch Polar White.

Posted By: Doody on 03/10/11 07:33am

I had one that was cracked in a couple of places and repaired it with a fiberglas repair kit from Pep Boys. As I repaired it I found that the cracks and weak areas were larger than thought, so beefed up much of the top. Most of the work was done on the underside of the cover, so very little sanding needed since it didn't show. After repair I repainted it with plastic Krylon paint. Looks like new now, and very strong.

Stop by and say Howdy

Posted By: robatthelake on 03/10/11 08:08am

Icon Technologies Limited
427 Buffalo Street
Box 1088
Winkler, Manitoba, Canada
R6W 4B2

Toll Free 1-888-362-4266 www.IconTechLtd.com

These are the Folks Who supplied Replacement shrouds to Me. Great Prices and Reasonable Shipping!30 Year warranty.

They also Manufacture other Polymer Products for the RV Industry!

No Dealers in BC were able to even obtain Shrouds when I needed them. This Company had No Problem .

I Am Not Afiliated with Them in any Way! Just a loyal Satisfied Customer.

I Just found the Invoice $88.44 Each Freight included!

* This post was edited 03/10/11 01:00pm by robatthelake *

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Posted By: powderman426 on 03/10/11 08:43am

I don't know what they cost online, but having lost mine on the way to Florida I was able to get a new one for $156. They do get brittle and break loose. When I went on the roof I found 4 pieces of plastic under the four bolts still in place where the cover once was. Even the large fender washers didn't help. BTW mine was a Coleman unit and the replacement cover was made by Maxx Aire.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Posted By: 2oldman on 05/18/11 06:41pm

Mountain Mama wrote:

Well ours is a Duo-therm Quick Cool and I am having problems finding anything for Quick Cool...Duo-therm now has Brisk Air but I can't determine if they are the same or not.
Just found this thread after *trying* to replace my DuoTherm shroud.

PPL Motorhomes sold me part # 3309518.003 12" shroud for my Quick Kool. It's 2" taller than the original and has a gray band.

It's a poor fit at best. It's going to take some drilling and cutting to get this thing on. I've emailed PPL and see what we can do.

Posted By: Mountain Mama on 03/10/11 10:01am

powderman426 wrote:

I don't know what they cost online, but having lost mine on the way to Florida I was able to get a new one for $156. They do get brittle and break loose. When I went on the roof I found 4 pieces of plastic under the four bolts still in place where the cover once was. Even the large fender washers didn't help. BTW mine was a Coleman unit and the replacement cover was made by Maxx Aire.

Ron, did you purchase from an RV store/dealer?

Posted By: jeepbluetj on 03/10/11 10:37am

I was going to replace mine, but the $$$ seemed pretty high. I just glassed the cracks and painted it (like another poster did)

Methinks for ~$150 for the cover vs a complete new unit, I'm going to just get a new unit (mine is 12 years old now).

Easy as pie to change though.

Posted By: Harry Havasu on 03/10/11 01:58pm

Been thru the problem a few weeks ago and have some observations based on research.

1. You can buy a shroud anywhere for about $120.00 to $150.00.HOWEVER, the shipping will kill you. $50.00 to $70.00.

Best deal I found was $135.00 from Camping World BUT shipped to my store FREE.

2. I just sold an extra brand new shroud I had for $100.00 INCLUDING $50.00 my cost for shipping. I sold it cheap to clean out my storage and gave the buyer a great deal on ebay.

Try ebay

3. Another thought is to call your manufacturer and ask him for the closest "preferred installer" they work with. I did and mine was in Carollton, Tx. about 20 miles away. He said that he sold "take offs" from entire units he changed out - for $25.00 that were in good condition. He would work out a deal for installation, if desired.

I bought new and self installed but next time this is the was I'll go - with a coat of that wonderful vinyl paint that covers everything.

At this price, I'll never mess around with fiberglassing them again.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Harry Havasu

Posted By: jauguston on 03/10/11 03:05pm

Go to a good size RV repair shop. There is a good chance they have a bunch of dead AC units in a pile out back or covers from dead units stuck in the rafters. I bought a good used Coleman Mach 3 cover for $25.00.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Posted By: camperkids1025 on 03/10/11 05:51pm

22%Over wrote:

I just replaced both of mine. Do a Google search on your particular make/model and you will get alot of hits. After searching around, the best price delivered to my front door was from americanrvcompany.com. Mine were: Duotherm A/C rooftop with heat pumps. Dometic Part # 3309518.003 Replacement Shroud 12 Inch Polar White.

Mountain Mama; Dometic, Duo-Therm makes 2 heights the one mentioned above and I had to replace both of mine that were taller with the gray band at the bottom (where the screws go in) Here is the place where I got mine GREAT people to deal with and good prices. Give them a call for a price Bill's RV Appliance Inc. 574-522-1569. Like said before it's the shipping that cost because of the size not the weight. Hope this helps. Jim

* This post was edited 03/11/11 03:31am by camperkids1025 *

The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

Posted By: rogerthedodger on 03/10/11 06:19pm

I got mine from CW, shipping was free. (naaa, I picked it up, 3 CW between my house and San Diego, when we were going on a cruise).
Roger

Posted By: Mountain Mama on 03/10/11 08:21pm

Well ours is a Duo-therm Quick Cool and I am having problems finding anything for Quick Cool...Duo-therm now has Brisk Air but I can't determine if they are the same or not. I've emailed Dometic to see if I can get an answer as I found nothing on their website. Does anyone here know if the Quick Cool and Brisk Air models are the same? Our RV is a 2003 Holiday Rambler. I may have to call them.

Posted By: suchristo01 on 05/18/11 07:26pm

Someone feel free to correct but isn't the Quick Cool and Brisk Air Shroud the same. I got the idea somewhere there is a 10" and a 12" A gray band is riveted to the 10" to provide a 12 inch model. But I can't find my scan disk file to confirm.

* This post was edited 05/18/11 07:35pm by suchristo01 *

Tommy USMC,Susie USN Ret, Dog Buddy
2000 Fleetwood Flair 25F WH P32 7.4L 19.5"
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 5 Spd Man
Blue Ox Base,Aventa II,4 PIN Locks
US Gear UTB, Power Gear Man Lev, Onan 4KW
Tent,GP Tent,Tent Trailer,2 Class A's
Are We There Yet?

Posted By: 2oldman on 05/18/11 08:39pm

suchristo01 wrote:

isn't the Quick Cool and Brisk Air Shroud the same.
Judging by the instruction manual, yes.

" ..Closed End Shroud Replacement Instructions for Briskair Air Conditioners."

The only problem I had with it is that I thought I saw the Brisk listed at something like 7500 btu. Way smaller than mine.

I may end up widening the oval holes on one side and forgetting about the rear screws. I can't imagine that would make a whole lotta difference in its ability to stay on in wind.

I wouldn't bother with this except my OEM shroud is brittle and cracking.

Posted By: 2oldman on 05/19/11 10:53am

Emailing with Ron Hunt of PPL. He's very helpful and willing to take back the shroud. He's checked with Dometic and that is the 'correct' replacement.

Sheesh.. these things must be made in China. I dunno what to do...the old one is cracking.

Posted By: Mountain Mama on 05/19/11 12:56pm

I emailed Dometic asking if the Brisk Air and QuickCool units were the same at customerservicecenter@dometicusa.com and got this reply:

"Do you have the model numbers from your ac units?

If you are in need of any Dometic refrigerator or air conditioner or A& E awning parts you can call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any dealer or Camping World location.

If we can be of any future service do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for choosing Dometic product lines.

Customer Support Center
Dometic LLC"

P.S. I have not contacted them again yet as DH hasn't gotten model numbers for me yet

Posted By: 2oldman on 05/22/11 10:12am

Ron Hunt of PPL talked to Dometic, then he told me D said to "drill out" the rivets and remove the gray band. Uh huh.

That's not easy, and, those rivets heat up and start melting the plastic. Not a good solution. It's far easier to drill out the oval slots to make the unit fit. Then I'm going to have to cut the rear to make it fit.

I'm almost tempted to UPS it back to him and say "you do it."

Sheesh.. I asked PPL why D doesn't just make it without the gray band. He was as mystified as I was.

Print  |  Close