|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Help! VIN Location - 87 Fleetwood Southwind

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
swanriver

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought our first motorhome but can't find the VIN!

I read on Fleetwood's website that they have a FIN (Fleetwood Id Number) and the chassis has the VIN. In our case, the chassis is a Chevy. I can't find the FIN but that won't bother me too much. I really need to find the VIN so I can get Missouri tags.

I've looked all over the frame from front to back. There is a 5 digit number stamped in a couple of places but it's not part of the VIN (or at least the VIN that is on the previous owner's title). I was told to look on the rear axel but it's not there either. There's yet another number there, a six digit one, but it's not part of the VIN either.

Any ideas??

Thanks for the help!!
Joel

rrwhistler

N.E. Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/11 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On mine, there is a sticker just inside the driver door, that has that information on it. I don't remember if 1987 was within the scope, but VIN's are supposed to be visible through the windshield on the drivers side. 87 may be before that regulation, I can't remember.

IIRC, it's also posted inside one of the cabinet doors in our bedroom, on either the weight sheet, or the trim sheet, I can't recall now.

I don't know where Chevrolet hides the VIN's, Ford used to put them on the chassis, the engine, the frame and the differential, but I couldn't tell you exactly where to look.

Do I read correctly that it's on the documentation from the previous owner? If that is true, does Missouri require verification? I know that Kansas requires an inspection for any out-of-state vehicle you try to register, and they have to verify that the paperwork and vehicle are one and the same. . .

Good luck!!

Gran & Grump
1994 38' Fleetwood Southwind
Chevy 454 P32
Banks Power
2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Kiki, the Boston Terrier(Rescued '02)
Sebastian & Isis, the black cats(Rescued '08)

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/11 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most VIN numbers are on the dash board, drivers side left corner near the windshield. Take a look from outside looking down at the far left corner. The FIN, Fleetwood ID number should be on a name plate inside the drivers door if you have one, if not it should be near where the drivers door would be, either inside or outside

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look on the kick panel on left side of your left foot when sitting in the drivers seat. Should be in that area somewhere.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

lostjohn

Eagle,Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 87 Southwind, my vin info is on the wall behind the drivers door. HTH

swanriver wrote:

We just bought our first motorhome but can't find the VIN!

I read on Fleetwood's website that they have a FIN (Fleetwood Id Number) and the chassis has the VIN. In our case, the chassis is a Chevy. I can't find the FIN but that won't bother me too much. I really need to find the VIN so I can get Missouri tags.

I've looked all over the frame from front to back. There is a 5 digit number stamped in a couple of places but it's not part of the VIN (or at least the VIN that is on the previous owner's title). I was told to look on the rear axel but it's not there either. There's yet another number there, a six digit one, but it's not part of the VIN either.

Any ideas??

Thanks for the help!!
Joel

John R Miller

swanriver

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, Missouri requires VIN verification.

I just checked the trans & engine. Both have a plate with a two different 8-digit numbers. Of course, neither one matches any part of the title's vin. I also checked around the windsheild, drivers door, & primary wardrobe. No luck. I'll look again in the daylight, maybe it's stamped somewhere that will show up better in daylight.

AustinFlash

Austin, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said you had the VIN from the previous owner. Can you not just use that.?

swanriver

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AustinFlash wrote:

You said you had the VIN from the previous owner. Can you not just use that.?

Not in Missouri. Before you can get the title, you have to have the VIN verified. This is usually part of the safety inspection process. The mechanic writes the VIN on the safety inspection form & you take that & the previous owner's title to get your new one.

I was warned that RV's become a time consuming hobby! I didn't plan on crawling around looking for a VIN tonight.

GMCK154X4

CENTRAL KANSAS

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/11 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was on the firewall under the hood on the drivers side. It was painted black along with everything else in there, so it was a b@#$& to find. Use a flashlight! The DOT here in Ks. couldn't find it, but these folks on this forum led me to it. Good Luck,PDM

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Help! VIN Location - 87 Fleetwood Southwind
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS