|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Stocking the Galley

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
indigoroads

La Quinta, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi-- I am a longtime lurker with my first question. We recently bought our very first MH--we're rookies--and are getting ready for the shakedown. I bought the stuff for the kitchen from the lists here in this forum (thank you) and yesterday I started putting it away.

My question is, how do you keep things organized--so they don't rattle and don't shift? I have drawer liner stuff, but there are no plastic dividers small enough for the tiny drawers that I assume are meant to hold the silverware and utensils. Do you keep it in boxes in the basement and bring it up when you set up camp?

Thank you for all the invaluable information in these posts.

Me 'n Rover

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found silverware holders at walmart. Also, a variety of plastic trays to hold spatulas, etc. We keep glasses in their original boxes and put bubblewrap sheets between stacks of plates. Haven't had anything break in 12 years.

Can-AmDuo

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/11 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the plastic trays and small silverware holder. If you do not have the original packing from the glassware I use several of the cardboard drink trays from fast food places..holds glasses in groups of 4. Have not had any breakage yet.

Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's good that you are trying to plan and prepare....but.
We have found that the best practice is to just get on down the road and figure out what works best by actually camping.

No amount of reading ahead can take the place experience.
Don't worry too much about it. Relax and enjoy the adventure.
Remember, you aren't going to the moon.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/11 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A rubber band around eating utensils will keep them from rattling, even if in a divider.

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are long-weekend campers. We use mostly paper plates and plastic cups. I use placemats, paper plates or paper towels to keep kettles and lids from rattling. The web, no-skid shelf liner in drawers and cupboards keeps things pretty much in place, but so does keeping the cupboard rather full. Rubber bands around the handles keeps utensils quiet. I keep little stuff (spices, matches, drink mixes, toothpicks, etc.) corralled in a small shoe box or an 8X8 baking pan.

If things rattle on the road, remember, you're driving a house.
Happy days!

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just toss all the tableware in a drawer and let it rattle around.
I have the utensils in another drawer.
the sharp knives are in the plastic divider that they came in from the store. It works, both to protect them, and to protect us when we reach into the drawer.

Sure, it would be nice, I guess, to have a place for everything and everything in its place, but I refuse to obsess about it.

I can't hear what is going on in the kitchen while I'm driving, anyway.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A second for the no skid shelf paper...it works great.

jeepbluetj

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Downtheroad has great advice.

Just go camping. Figure out what works FOR YOU. We use plastic/paper. Others use dishes and silverware. What works for me may not be what works for you. Where my MH has storage may not be where your MH has storage.

You'll know when you go. So just go. Have fun. Worry less about the "stuff".

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/11 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found small plastic drawer dividers, utencil holders and even various sizes of food storage containers work well for keeping small items organized in both the kitchen, bathroom and all other cabinets. To keep pans, lids, mixing bowls, literally anything that can rub on something else, we use that foam wrap designed for packing delicate items for shipping. If you like to sew you can make padded sleeves for special items like frying pans, toasters, etc.

I carry a set of Corel dishes...I actually had a large Tupperware container that was the perfect size for the dinner plates to fit in that keep the dishes from being damaged if the stack should shift.

The main rule -- keep everything packed reasonably tight so there is no room for anything to shift around a lot but everything will jiggle and wiggle, causing scratches and marks. You will find out after you 1st road trip...what has moved and what did not, what got rubbed and what went marvelously.

I found another food storage container the exact size to store 4 wine glasses each nestled in thier own tube sock. We carry plastic (good quality Tupperware) drinkware instead of glass drinking "glasses". We found hard plastic glases when stacked and rubbing against each other don't stay looking nice unless wrapped and it's a hassle to have to unwrap each time you to use one. And, try as you might, stacked drinkware will topple out of the cabinet when you open the door after a ride down the road unless you use some kind of barrier like the spring tension rods to hold them upright (even when packed tightly). We do carry glass coffee mugs and have them arranged with the plastic glasses so they do not make noise or get damaged.

Just use your imagination & ingenuity and you'll find out how to protect your belongings.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Stocking the Galley
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: