RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Gas grill suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Gas grill suggestions?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weathershak wrote:

Weber Go anywhere grill (stow n go) runs about $70.00, 3 years on ours and we love it. The tall lid allows for more food, including small hams or turkeys. It is light and very easy to keep clean.

Me too on the Weber Go Anywhere. Had it for 6 years now and still going strong. It also will hold 6 cobs of soaked corn in the husk for steaming. Yummy.

CW has inexpensive kabob skewers with a holder/rack that fits right on top of the grill and the lid fits on top of the skewer assembly.

I run it off of bulk propane usually. I have 10 and 20 lb cylinders I plumb into a whole outdoor kitchen setup.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/11 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWMO wrote:

AlGreg wrote:

weathershak wrote:

Weber Go anywhere grill (stow n go) runs about $70.00, 3 years on ours and we love it. The tall lid allows for more food, including small hams or turkeys. It is light and very easy to keep clean.

I bought one 2 years ago. It's a great little gas grill. It may look like the cheap grills at Wally World, but it is Weber quality.

So the body is cast aluminum and the grill is heavy cast iron?

No, it's steel top and bottom. Good quality steel and finish unlike the knock offs which rust out in no time flat.

tknecht

Eastern Seaboard

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used a Coleman Road Trip for almost 10 years. it's a bit larger and heavier than others (including the Weber Q) but its interchangeable surfaces (grill, griddle, and pot holder) mean that I don't have to transport so many pots and pans.

Since there are two burners, and the surfaces cover only one burner, I can "mix and match": a pot holder for my coffee percolator on one side while I use the griddle for bacon and eggs on the other burner, for example. Or, I can use grills on both sides to do shish-ka-bobs for dinner.

I know that some people object to the weight and bulk, but I much prefer the convenience.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed in my latest Consumer Reports that they had a gas grill section and under small/portable they rated the Char-Broil Red Patio much higher than the Weber Q 200.
bumpy

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Ballwin, MO. U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/11 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlGreg wrote:

weathershak wrote:

I bought one 2 years ago. It's a great little gas grill. It may look like the cheap grills at Wally World, but it is Weber quality.
Another vote for this grill. I got mine from Amazon. With the free shipping, it was only $59.xx.

At home, I always use my Weber charcoal kettle grill, but for camping I like something quick and easy. The MAIN reason I chose this particular Weber model was the price. I just cannot bring myself to spend over $150.00 - $200.00 for the more elite models, just for camping. Then again, I have, in the past, bought some of the "cheapy" Wal*Mart grills. The Weber "Go-Anywhere" is in a whole nother class from those.

BTW, I use a 20lb tank so I don't have to keep change those little tanks out. I got the adapter hose from Lowe's for about $17.00.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Gen. Gretchen - 10 y.o. GSD - Special Forces/DOTL Cloudbusters
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 1 y.o. old GSD. Still a civilian at this point.
Gen. Missy - GSD/Aussie - Joined DOTL Rainbow Division, June 11,2006

benjamin247

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm cheap and a gambler, so I've placed an order for the Weber Go Anywhere grill through amazon with an adapter hose. Thanks for the suggestions!

* This post was edited 04/05/11 12:06am by benjamin247 *

padec21

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weber Q vs. Coleman Roadtrip

I am on the fence. I was going to go with the Weber Q200 until I saw this comparison.

Coleman is about same size (collapsed) and same weight (1 pound lighter) than Q.
I like Colemans interchangeable grates, 2 burners and higher BTU's and slightly larger cooking service and lower price.

I need to find info as to whether either grill can be run off of RV's gas system. My rv came with a RVQ grill and has a designated gas line but have read on line it is low pressure and other grills cant run off of it. Does anyone know if either the Q or roadtrip can run off of a rv low pressure gas line? That will be deciding factor for me.

2001 F250 Lariat CC V-10 auto 4x4 4.30ls.
2012 Starcraft Lexion 329bhu

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padec21 wrote:

..... Does anyone know if either the Q or roadtrip can run off of a rv low pressure gas line? That will be deciding factor for me.
Yes, you can by removing the regulator on the Roadtrip. I have had the older model Roadtrip grill for 6 years. I purchased a second regulator assembly ($15 at the time) and unscrewed the regulator from the quick connect that goes on the Roadtrip. I clamped a 15 ft hose to that and put a plug on the other end that fits the low pressure quick connect on my TT. I never cook in my TT except sometimes we put the large pot on the TT stove to steam corn while we cook steaks on the grill and some "pan fried" potatoes on the griddle half. For breakfast we can cook eggs and bacon or sausage on the griddle side and toast on the grill side. Every meal can be / is cooked outside.

One downside to the Roadtrip is that there is no grease catcher except the pan under the grill and cleanup of that can be messy. I always line the pan with foil and every few days when the Roadtrip is cool I just pick up the foil and put it with the garbage leaving the Roadtrip clean.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

padec21

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/11 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I was at Cabelas yesterday. They had a roadtrip in the bargain cave for $106. Cant beat that price so I bought it. However it is missing the regulator which I have to order. Just wish it wasn't made in China like everything else these days. You would thing Coleman camping gear would be made in the USA.

CampingCplWva

Panhandle of West Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used a Roadtrip grill for years and have loved it. We like that we can make breakfast, lunch and dinner ( if we aren't cooking in dutch ovens) on it. I love that I can make perfect pancakes using the griddle. So the Roadtrip will always stay with us. BUT hubby wanted a new grill ( I swear he is addicted to collecting every type of grills there is) so he got the new O-grill. We only used it once on our first trip out this year... but it cooked Ribeyes excellent! Easy clean up and we like how easy it is to store. Not to mention you can choose the color that you like.

David & Mary Ann
2011 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco 1500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Gas grill suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts