|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Battery goes dead on my tow vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
daveb48

Coldwater, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 Dodge Caravan that we tow behind our Class A motorhome. When we travel after dark and turn on the headlights on the RV, the battery in our tow vehicle goes dead. This doesn't seem to happen during day trips, only after trips that run into darkness. We connect the tow vehicle to the RV with all the required equipment, including wiring. One person I talked to suggested disconnecting the battery on the tow vehicle but this seems cumbersome to me. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your not getting any charging from your class A to your TV for some reason. You have to find out why your TV is not being charged. Fuse? Wiring?

To double check it, get a VOM and check the TV battery voltage at rest. Then start your class A up and bring to a fast idle. The TV battery voltage should read around 14.2 volts or so (maybe a volt or 1.5 volts higher than at rest).

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turn off radio and all accessories. are you using a brake system that is plugged into the 12 volt outlet? if so, buy a small jumper/starter battery thingy to plug your brake buddy, etc., into.
bumpy

larry_kruzan

Pekin, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the above, plus - seems like there is one lead of the 7 pin that carries the charger circuit. On my TV, I had to add a relay to the electric box under the hood in order to charge my TT. You would think that fuurd would put this in when you order "trailer tow package", but there I go thinking again.

Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

daveb48

Coldwater, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention that I do have a Brake Buddy unit that plugs into the lighter outlet. I'm wondering if the connector cable might be faulty and not charging like it should. Thanks for the help, by the way.

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery is going dead on your "towed vehicle", not your "tow vehicle" . You might try this question in the Dinghy Towing forum, as that is the place for discussing towed vehicles. This section is for vehicles towing trailers.

Best of luck to you!

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveb48 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I do have a Brake Buddy unit that plugs into the lighter outlet. I'm wondering if the connector cable might be faulty and not charging like it should. Thanks for the help, by the way.

that is probably your main problem. as I said, buy a little jump starter/battery source and plug the BB into that. I want it along anyhow.
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got a new Heartland catalog. have a PortaJump for $29.99 with free shipping that would prevent these problems from ruining one's day.
bumpy

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

daveb48 wrote:

that is probably your main problem. as I said, buy a little jump starter/battery source and plug the BB into that. I want it along anyhow.
bumpy
I'm not an car electrics guy, but it seems to me if it was caused by the brake buddy unit, it would drain the battery whether or not the headlights were on in the TV or not.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Battery goes dead on my tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS