|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Very soft floors in Rockwood trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mwjw

Scranton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The floor of our 2009 Rockwood 8315bss trailer is very soft(not just flexing soft)in the bathroom area and starting to get soft in the kitchen area. Its that luan/styrofoam/luan type floor,have been in contact with Forest River(warranty runs out the end of April)and they seem ok with fixing it. Question is whats the correct fix? Would they replace the whole floor,support it in the soft areas underneath? I do not think it is a water related problem,do not seem to have any leaks anywhere.

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what they will do to fix it but I strongly suggest that you get documentaion on EVERYTHING!!
Get people's names that you speak to with dates, make copies of all correspondence such as letters and emails and most importantly, DO NOT let this issue go beyond that April warranty date. I have heard of manufacturers refusing a warranty issue days after the expiration of the warranty.

mwjw

Scranton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I can tell there are no leaks anywhere, it appears that they have just become delaminated for who know what reason. My worry is how they can repair this so that it is fixed right?

mwjw

Scranton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They said possibly additional support underneath the floor or maybe a tongue and grove flooring put on top...if they did the tongue and groove I would think that would cause an issue with the slides...and also would add additional weight to the trailer which already has a marginal cargo capacity.And the support underneath worries me a bit because of the floor structure(luan/Styrofoam/luan).

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

.......,have been in contact with Forest River(warranty runs out the end of April)and they seem ok with fixing it.

What did they say when you asked how it would be fixed???

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/11 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main thing I'd want to know is what caused the floors to get soft in the first place? Do you have piping leaks, roof leaks, slide seal leaks or what?

We have an 2010 model Rockwood 8315BSS that we've spent over 380 days in this past 15 months without any floor issues so I'd be interested in hearing about this one.

Good luck to you.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

mwjw

Scranton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/11 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the trailer to the dealer and it is for sure not a water problem,the flooring itself is the culprit. Forest River has agreed to repair it and we take it next week for the repairs. After looking at the way the floor is installed((Rockwood floor const.)) I still cannot see how they can repair it from underneath, and even if they install a laminate flooring the soft spots are so soft that the laminate floor itself would flex and eventually crack.

Anyone ever had or heard of one of these floors being repaired?

mwjw

Scranton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New update...dealer says that they cannot fix the floors. Forest River is taking the trailer back to the factory and replacing the entire floor. Anyone had any experience with returning their trailer to Forest River?

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/11 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most TT factories use a 1 x large piece of 5/8 sheeting down their assembly lines. This sheeting is glued and its high points are sanded down. Thus, creating 1/2" thickness in some spots. Being plywood, it doesn't take water exposure very well either. Plywood and water is very bad combination. In addition to quick damage from water, the floor supports are often 20"-24" apart as well. Much larger span compared to a stick home - that uses minimum 16" centers. In other words, they "go cheap" - based the specs of what their competition uses...

If trailer has NO slide, I would recommend gluing / screwing 3/4" tonque and grove plywood on the floor surface. Then, apply new commercial grade vinyl flooring. Sounds like over thickness but if keeping your TT for many years, the thicker plywood and better then factory vinyl flooring is worth it. Especially in the long run.

If trailer has a slide, re-enforing the floor cannot be done from the top. Or, its slide will not retract in/out properly. re: To much binding. In this case, I would re-enforce the from the underside. To do this, I would remove the underbelly materials, remove the factory fibreglass batt insulation, remove (drop) the large holding tanks and glue pieces of 1/2" plywood to its underside. Glue and screw upwards. And where possible, I'd use 90 degree galvanized braces to hold the new phywood sheets into postion as well. Instead of re-installing fibreglass batts (that critters love), I would use contractor grade Spray Foam instead. re: 2 lbs - Close Cell / contractor grade. Spray it upwards at 2.5" to 3" thick. Then, re-install the holding tanks. After tanks are re-installed, I would then use Spray Foam around the holding tank edges. If you plan to camp during winter months, I would install electric heating Pads under the tanks, then spray foam around each tank. Then, re-install the under belly fabric layers.

Not too sure if factory trailer "repair teams" would use spray foam or drop tanks - to install sister thick / phywood sheets above the tanks. If fixing the TT myself and planning to keep the TT for 10+ more years, this is how I'd fix it...

* This post was edited 05/24/11 11:03pm by batman99 *

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/11 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mwjw wrote:

...if they did the tongue and groove I would think that would cause an issue with the slides...

How so? The slides slide over the top of the floor and what they would put back would probably be about the same thickness as the old floor. If it was thicker they'd just have to adjust the height of the slide. Let them worry about it that's what you bought the warranty for was so you wouldn't have to worry with it.

Good luck to you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Very soft floors in Rockwood trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS