Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Samson tires?

Posted By: Kiethco on 03/29/11 03:37pm

I just got quoted 918.00 otd for 6 Samson tires. 8R-19.5.
I know they're made in China. This is about half off my quote on Continentals.
They're going on a 1989 34' Pace arrow with rear duals.
I welcome any input, flaming, beatings over buying China junk etc. Thanks for your help.

Posted By: dieharder on 03/29/11 03:42pm

I have no problems with my Chinese made Coopers.

You might want to verify the date code on these. Sounds pretty low to me.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

Posted By: Kiethco on 03/29/11 04:25pm

I was worried about the date too, he said they would be new as he was ordering them from the warehouse today. I expressed concern over getting 3 year old tires.
I found out Americas tire put 2 year old tires on my wifes Lexus SUV and just had them replaced under warrany last week after sidewall/trad seperation.

Posted By: dwerkheiser on 03/29/11 06:27pm

I am running Samson 8r19.5 0n my Pace Arrow. I have 7000 miles on them since last year. No problems so far. They have steel sidewalls and ride well. The date code on mine ranged from two months to 3 weeks old when I put them on. My tire dealer said they had been selling samson tires for a while and had not any come back with problems. A lot of the local dump trucks run them.

Posted By: dalmationlovers on 03/29/11 04:27pm

As dieharder says check the code dates. We just got an 87 Allergo Bay with 4 yr old tires that are Goodyear. That was the first thing I checked when I purchased the rig. I have spoken with my guy at Firestone here locally (also buy all my tires through them 3 sets last year) and when I spoke about the MH on Sat. we discussed Chinese made tires and he had no issues. He has been in the business for 30 years. JMHO others will not agree

Posted By: gss036 on 03/29/11 06:12pm

Check to see what the Sidewalls are. Some tires that are too soft will cause some sway and mushy feeling. I don't know about motor homes that much, I am my first "A" and just put new Toyo 22.5 on it. When I was looking for my pick-up, I found the cheaper tires were 2 ply sidewalls just like passenger tires and have a tendency to squirm and sway.

Posted By: chastho on 03/31/11 06:16am

gss036 wrote:

Check to see what the Sidewalls are. Some tires that are too soft will cause some sway and mushy feeling. I don't know about motor homes that much, I am my first "A" and just put new Toyo 22.5 on it. When I was looking for my pick-up, I found the cheaper tires were 2 ply sidewalls just like passenger tires and have a tendency to squirm and sway.
Have you looked at your toyos to see what the sidewall plies are? I think you will be suprised. My G670 22.5s say sidewall 1 ply steel cord , tread 5 plies steel cord .

Posted By: Kiethco on 03/31/11 12:52am

Ok, I got em installed today. I was sucking my Flexteel seat up my butt as I drove the 26 miles to the tire store. My tires were cracked and 9-10 years old. They had cracks and fischers all around.

I'm happy to report that they ride as well as my michelins and dunlops I took off today. The bill was $900.00 out the door for everything. I'm very pleased. I'd hate to spend 2k for tires on a coach I drive 3,000-5,000 miles a year.

Posted By: crawford on 03/31/11 08:42pm

Yes I switched 3 years ago on my C Class because mine came with 225/75-16 load range E 10 ply never was over loaded but 14 blow out in 6 years was to much to handle. Got my Samsons 235-85-16 load range G 10 ply which gave me a extra 1,000 pounds extra per tire so total 4,000 extra in rear.No I carry no more then before but now with over 30,000 on them couldn't be happier and safer. I did try to buy name brands no one said they had a 14 ply ,also rides better then ever.

Posted By: whem2fish on 03/30/11 08:31am

that is a geed price i pick up 4 for my friend for $600 they are IRC
mine are 16 in have over 20,000 mi so far no problems yet
they are on rear and 10 ply

Posted By: whem2fish on 03/31/11 04:41am

i agree except im poor due to child support so i put bf goodrich on front then 4 irc on rear now i do about 10,000 miles a year. i was leary at first but due to money i had no choice. have just over 20,000 on them now. have fun
dave

Posted By: txrparrothead on 04/09/11 10:01pm

Boy was I glad to read this.purchased a set of Samsons last year for about the same price.No issues so far,but i've only driven it about 1K miles

Posted By: dieharder on 03/30/11 06:35am

Kiethco wrote:

I was worried about the date too, he said they would be new as he was ordering them from the warehouse today. I expressed concern over getting 3 year old tires.
I found out Americas tire put 2 year old tires on my wifes Lexus SUV and just had them replaced under warrany last week after sidewall/trad seperation.

Ordering them from the warehouse doesn't mean squat. They could have been sitting on the shelves or in the storeroom there for a while. He should have been able to ask them to check first. Regardless of his confidence, you should check them yourself before your guy puts them on.

2 year old tires on a passenger vehicle isn't all that bad. I know I have never checked when having the tires changed on my daily driver. I usually have to replace every 3-4 years, so they would never get old enough even if they were 2 years old going on. I have always had to replace due to wear and not due to age.

Posted By: gss036 on 04/09/11 12:51pm

chastho wrote:

gss036 wrote:

Have you looked at your toyos to see what the sidewall plies are? I think you will be suprised. My G670 22.5s say sidewall 1 ply steel cord , tread 5 plies steel cord .

I was really surprised yesterday, large truck w/dual axles was in my driveway delivering trusses for my RV cover and I notice he had TOYO
tires, I checked them and to my surprise, the tread was 14 ply, but the sidewalls were 1 ply steel. My motor home also has 1 ply sidewalls. I am assuming they use pretty heavy steel cords for the sidewall in able to do this.

Print  |  Close