|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dirty Rooftop

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sparky723

Haskell,Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 25' 2000 KZ Sportsman travel trailer.

I was at a campground about a month ago and went across the grounds to visit with another camper. When I was walking back, I looked at my camper and noticed how well you could see the filth on top on it.
I took it to a self serve car wash and got on top using a ladder with the high pressure wand. The wand seemed to knock the crud (it was BLACK!) off, but even at 25', I realized the $6 I had already spent on it was just a VERY small portion of what I was gonna have to spend to get the results I want.
My question is this...Does anybody have an easy method to get this job done?

Thanks!

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/11 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't look so high?

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Depot pressure washers

You can find them from $90 to about $150 that will get the job done in a short time. Yes $6 for 6 minutes is a bit steep.

Don't get the pressure nozel to close to the surface being cleaned. You only want to remove the dirt, not roof. Practice on your sidewalk and car first. Yes the pressure washer will remove the wax layer, and leave the car shiny! You should wax it later.

When you get tired of the EPDM roof that leaves white streaks on the sidewall, you can coa it with this two part EPDM roof coating. Easy to apply with a paint brush, roller to smooth it out, and you are done!

http://epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

There are a couple of good video's on the website. I think that this coating will be more durable, and not flaking like the original roof coating.

Fred.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are probably easier ways, but I get on top of mine about once a year with a bucket and a brush, and the water hose.

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

There are probably easier ways, but I get on top of mine about once a year with a bucket and a brush, and the water hose.

Same here except I did it 3 times this past year. The manual for my trailers roofing membrane says use a mild household soap like Murphy's Oil Soap which by the way does not have any petroleum in it. I used car wash liquid soap which is very mild on ours and a long handle soft bristle brush. I guess the main thing is do it often and you won't need anything strong to remove the dirt.

By the way to the OP you want to make sure you don't get that pressure nozzle to close to your roof caulking or you could cause more problems trying to clean it than what just leaving the dirty roof alone would cause.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/11 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum Sparky!I'm a fan of ProtectAll Roof Cleaner. The reason I like it, is that you spray a small area, scrub it and use a clean rag to wipe up the dirty foam. Nothing slopping over the sides, messing up your wax job. It takes a few hours, but is well worth the effort. Good luck on your project. Also, be carefull about using a car wash wand up there, it can actually cut through the EPDM roofing.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alpenliter wrote:

Welcome to the Forum Sparky!I'm a fan of ProtectAll Roof Cleaner. The reason I like it, is that you spray a small area, scrub it and use a clean rag to wipe up the dirty foam. Nothing slopping over the sides, messing up your wax job. It takes a few hours, but is well worth the effort. Good luck on your project. Also, be carefull about using a car wash wand up there, it can actually cut through the EPDM roofing.

I do the same as well - except 2 times per year (re: every 6 months). re: using Protect-All roof cleaner and their roof treatment (which goes on like milk).

For me, I never walk on my TT's roof. I slip on some soft padded kneed pads, remove my running shoes and crawl on "all 4s" (staying near the edge) - just like hand scrubing our kitchen floor. Works great for my TT as well...

Captain_Happy

Abilene, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/11 04:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fun thing, I just washed the motor home yesterday morning. Man was it dirty. last done 6 months ago. Now I've got to put on a coat of protectal UV protectant. Then it's wash and wax the rest of it.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HOPE you were lucky and didn't remove your caulking with the high pressure water. REALLY not a good idea to use them on your roof. I'll take a dirty roof to a leaky one. I've always followed the manufacturers suggestion and used a soft brush and mild detergent on mine.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dougwhite

Midland, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/11 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spic n span (powder) and soft brush with long handle is what I use on my 26.5 foot Dutchmen, gets it really clean

Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dirty Rooftop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers