|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sparky723

Haskell,Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have ants in my trailer.

They are small black ants and if we leave ANYthing out over night, it will be COVERED (with an active trail to and fro) with ANTS...AUGH!!!!

Im tired of spending $$$ on occasional pest control...SOLUTIONS???

Also, could they be coming from my black tank? (you know, feeding on the leftover "stuff" in there?)

slowolf

Central Coast, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to use something that is not to fast acting that will kill the queen and the colony. Fast acting solutions may cause the queen to react and move the colony. Depending on the type of ants you have, you may try a type of gel bait such as Maxforce.

2005 Airstream Safari 28' w/slideout
2006 Superduty PSD FX4 Lariat w/ Tow Command
Hensley Arrow Hitch

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Ortho Home Defense Spray inside and out on our trailer and house that we purchase from Lowe's that comes in a large plastic jug with a hose and sprayer attachment. It works great for us and there are no ants or spiders or any kind of bugs in our trailer or house.

My wife sprays it on average every 3 months and it doesn't smell or cause problems with allergies because if it did our youngest son, who is alergic to everything on the planet, would be the first to complain.

She sprays under the trailer outside and on places like the satellite cable, power cord, stabilizers and jack that ants can crawl up. She sprays inside the cabinets around pipe penetrations etc in the trailer including on the outside of the house and also inside the garage and attic as well.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/11 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the cheapest comet you can find and sprinkle around tires and everything that touches the ground. Inside mix some sugar and borax and place out in a dish (ants love this mixture). The mixture inside will kill the ants and the comet outside will not allow them to come in. Ants will not cross over comet.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rondeb wrote:

Buy the cheapest comet you can find and sprinkle around tires and everything that touches the ground. Inside mix some sugar and borax and place out in a dish (ants love this mixture). The mixture inside will kill the ants and the comet outside will not allow them to come in. Ants will not cross over comet.

X2

I buy comet at the 99 cent store, and keep at least one container in my RV at all times. Sometimes it takes 1/4 can to go around all the tires, and the wind can blow it away. When selecing a site, make sure you are not camping on top of an ant hill.

One place, ants are so bad that we fed the dogs outside, and their food was covered in ants before they could eat it. Had to bring them in to eat.

Ants walking all over the picknic table all day long, it was bad. I wonder why they don't spray for the pests in the campground anymore?

Fred.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Terro. When you first set it in their trail, they will have a party and call all their friends. They all drink up as much as they can carry, then it's back to the nest to party hardy! Next day, they're gone. The worst infestation we had was in Florida. Forget the tires, they were coming in on the hose and the electrical cord. From what I understand, it will pretty much kill the colony.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scotties, Butterscotch & Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2003 Sport Trac Toad
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ant police here...

Do you really think it is fair to kill an entire colony over a little discomfort?

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I live in FL and it's impossible to keep ants out... use the Terro. It's so alarming to see it draw such a horde of ants, you're inclined to remove the traps. Don't! Give it time to do the job. In a couple of days, you'll be hard pressed to find an ant... in your camper... on your site... around your loop... LOL. A slight embellishment, but you get the picture. Terro works.

RVn Full-time

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/11 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard you can put out Bounce dryer sheets around and they'll run away screaming Seriously though if you have pets I'd avoid poisons and consider DE (Diatomaceous Earth) instead.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

dougwhite

Midland, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/11 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Ant police here...

Do you really think it is fair to kill an entire colony over a little discomfort?

If you have ever had to deal with fire ants, then absolutely! They are very aggressive if disturbed in the least, and their sting is...well...like fire! Don't know if they have much problems with them in the midwest or east coast, but in the southern and western states, they are pretty widespread. They're like my dear mother-in-law....down right honery!

Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts