|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> fuel pump removal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
csr123

new york

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1998 winnebago brave ford 460 i have to replace fuel pump it is dead the tank is full 75 gallons was wondering if i can cut access hole under the bed instead of dropping the tank i am currently parked in storage lot was quoted $1150 to tow and replace pump at rv shop approx 30 miles away would really like to take care of this myself and my mechanic back home suggested cutting the access hole thanx for any help in this matter

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could. There is a harness adapter required for the newer pump that a hole might not leave room to do. There is/was a write up here on how to add an inline pump near where the fuel filter is on the frame rail and leave you old pump in place. Dirt Rod posted it. I think a mod has the write up. I bought the OEM pump and had my shade tree guy do it and I want to say he charged about $350. Didn't drop the tank all the way. Lowered the front strap as far as possible and removed the rear strap, undid the hose (replaced it, too) and could crawl on top of the tank. I brought it to him almost empty.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

csr123

new york

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i also considered an inline pump but a couple of threads i read were concerned with the old pump creating too much friction and burning out the pump quickly, the harness adapter has me a little worried as does the pump location i dont want to have a huge hole in the floor i will read the dirt rod post as that would be the easiest solution thanx for the reply

Jerry B

Lake of the Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only you know if you can access the pump thru a hole in the floor. My RV has another floor under the inside floor with tanks, plumbing etcetera. If you can work on it where it is, get someone to help you and do it yourself for about $200. I lowered mine with about 65 gallons in it. Not a big deal at all.

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

JimD10796

Haughton,La

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to change our pump out within a month of buying our motorhome, a 1996 f53. It too was slam full of fuel. Can't say i'd recommend cutting a big hole in the floor as easy as that tank is to drop. What i did was remove the filler tube and use a piece of 3/4 heater hose to siphon the gas out, i used 2 5 gallon cans and transfered to 55 gallon drums. Got about 72 of the 75 gallons out. Used 2 floor jacks to lower the tank. Also take time to check the float while your there, mine had some fuel in it and i got a replacement at the dealer for $9.

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet you can do it or have it done for a lot less than $1150.

Storage containers to save the fuel & reuse would be one way to go.

Just be careful and don't use anything that can create a spark.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Lt46

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all this concern regarding in tank fuel pumps, I took a hard look at my coach to see if a floor hole would be possible. Way too much to deal with in my book. I'll siphon before I'd cut anything.

Peter & Dawn
97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW
F53/460 w/ tag axle
96 Prowler 27X SOLD
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

csr123

new york

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/11 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanx for the replies i am storing the winnie in a gravel lot on a campground about an hours drive from the house i can see the top of the tank and it is a clear shot to the floor under the bed i dont think the campground would be upset about pumping the fuel out i would have to ask, but the ground is not that stable and i have to remove the rear leveler jacks stabilizer bar so they are not an option and i would need two 55 gallon drums and at least two or three floor jacks with jack stands on gravel working completely on my back, i have dropped a fuel tank several times but the current location of the rv makes me a bit nervous, got a price on fords replacement pump $510 is it worth the money or should i use an aftermarket pump thanx again for all the great info

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Googling "Discount ford parts". I found mine for under $300.

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/11 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CSR123

If you want Dirt Rod's external fuel pump documents, send me your email via private message and I'll send them to you. We had an F53 at one time and I considered doing his install.

I'm thinking you're better off cutting the hole, replacing the original pump, and installing some type of plate over the hole. A boat access circular plate might work.

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> fuel pump removal
Search:   Advanced Search