|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Freezing water

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jmacpolo

N. CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/11 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoping to head to Mono lake this week but low temps are suppose to be in the 27-29 degree range at night. It will normally get into the 40's or 50's during the day. Will tanks freeze with these temps? We have a 260 Fuzion which is suppose to have enclosed and heated tanks and we would be running the heater for a bit in the evenings, but relying on quality sleeping bags to stay warm through the night.

Thank you,
John

Red,

Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/11 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water freezes at 32 .

Red, *<(:{)-

mainetom

Maine, near Augusta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/11 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

You will be fine, even if it is 25 at night...."

I agree.
It was about 50 here yesterday and I was doing some puttering in the TT and unintentionally left a bottle of Poland Spring water on the dinette table overnight. It is 19 this morning, and for the sake of this discussion I went out and checked and found the water only beginning to freeze.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/11 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You will be fine, even if it is 25 at night.

By running the furnace, you will have some heat blow into the area near the tanks. Besides it will take hours at 25 to lower the temperature to 32, and even longer to start changing the water into ice.

Keep the water heater at least warm - that is over 50F all the time. You don't have to leave it on at night, but it will not hurt. Cold air will go in the bottom, and out the flue, so if driving on a cold day (below 32 out) you will need to leave it on to keep the water from freezing. Yes the 55MPH air going past it can freeze the water faster than when parked in a parking lot at 30F.

I have camped in my Bounder with the furnace keeping the inside warm, and never had a problem with frozen water lines at night. Day time temps reached up to about 40. My water tanks are in a basement storage area, that has a 1" heater air line going to it. That is just enough to warm the basement to about 35 - 40, without wasting to much heat in the basement.

Fred.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/11 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You may wish to open the cupboard doors at night as a precaution. Don't leave the water hose connected and the same advice for the waste slinky.

Turn the furnace down--but do not turn it off.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/11 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chances are you're driving during the day with the 40 degree temps. During the night while camped...if you're comfortable inside your water is okay too.

We camped in Georgia for 9 days with nighttime temps in the mid 20's... We used the furnace...and supplemented it with two ceramic heater (one in living room, one in bathroom) set to LOW position. The idea is to conserve propane by using already available shore power electric. You just want to make sure the furnace is getting used though. The ducts in the basement give off heat that helps keep that bay above freezing.

We also found a Heated Water Hose to prevent having to disconnect and drain our fresh water connection everynight. The hose worked out great...

onearmyrider

CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/11 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mainetom wrote:

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

You will be fine, even if it is 25 at night...."

I agree.
It was about 50 here yesterday and I was doing some puttering in the TT and unintentionally left a bottle of Poland Spring water on the dinette table overnight. It is 19 this morning, and for the sake of this discussion I went out and checked and found the water only beginning to freeze.

I second that!

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/11 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

Yes the 55MPH air going past it can freeze the water faster than when parked in a parking lot at 30F.

Fred.

Sorry, but 55 deg air will NEVER freeze the water, I do not care how fast the air is moving. It has to go below 32.

MP

I read him as saying 55 mile per hour air vs 55 degree air...

Actually, I think people assume that moving air will make something chill faster. IF it speeds evaporation on the surface of the object...then yes...that would be "wind chill" effect, or evaporative cooling effect. But it's caused by heat lost to water as it becomes a vapor. Not going to happen to a poly tank that has no moisture on the outer skin. I won't disagree with what he said though...as dead air does act as an insulator...your bays are more likely to have a pocket of dead air trapped inside while sitting in a parking lot --- while driving down the road might cause a draft to form and disrupt that dead air pocket...thus losing any heat that might have been previously conserved in that dead air pocket. This in turn could actually impact the rate at which your tanks would freeze.

Moving an object through air actually inceases ambient temperatures. I can fly at 200 kts at 10,000 ft...and then accelerate to 300 kts and watch my outside air temperature gauge go UP. This is called ram air temperature rise. This, I believe is a result of compression & perhaps to some tini tiny small degree friction.

There are sections of an aircraft that actually DO get cooler as a result of air flowing over them...but it's caused by air speeding up over an airfoil/causing a resulting drop in pressure. The drop in pressure will cause a drop in temperature...or aerodynamic cooling effect.

Either effect is insignificant going down the road at hwy speed.

Sorry...

* This post was edited 04/16/11 07:39am by chuggs *

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/11 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

Yes the 55MPH air going past it can freeze the water faster than when parked in a parking lot at 30F.

Fred.

Sorry, but 55 deg air will NEVER freeze the water, I do not care how fast the air is moving. It has to go below 32.

MP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Freezing water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS