|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
trtog7

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/11 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably asking for too much but is there any way to have Internet without using campground services on a monthly basis. We only travel for about a month at a time and do not want to pay for service when I dont need it and campgrounds are getting really bad for saying they have service but not working well and we will be getting some one in to fix it .....but they have been saying that for months. Also we are from Canada

targaboat

sulphur springs, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/11 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air card, as in cell phone, for your computer will do the job. However, that is about $60 per month plus the air card it self. Certainly you know about the the businesses such and McDonald's that have free service. However, before this was common we would stop outside like gathering of civilization, such as apartment buildings, and find a source and get our mail. And then we would go back repetitively until we left the area.

Fly Boy

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Virgin Mobile offers a "By the month" pre-paid, 50 dollars for one month's service (30 days I think)

You get 2.5 Gig of high speed and then they throttle you (or at least I do but the plan I'm on may be reserved for folks who had it on or before Feb 26, I got it on Feb 25) I use it from time to time.

If you get a Virgin Mobil "Air Card" get it at Wall Mart, nowhere else, here is why.

The other option for me is 10 bucks for 100 meg's that's about 2-3 days if I conserve.... I go two dime packs last week and ran out Friday night.

If and only if you get it at Wall mart you can get a 20 dollar plan, 1 Gig, which would last me all week and some left over.

(I use about 300 Megs a week it appears)

I may see if there is any way to get the wall mart deal.. i can think of some leverage if I choose to use.. but I'd ranter be nice.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/11 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John is that Satellite dish just an ornament?

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

Bruce3404

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/11 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, only patronize CG's with free internet and check their ratings on RVParkREviews.com to see if the internet works properly. If that fails, use McDonalds or local libraries. And yes, often you can pull up to a motel and use their internet for free. Or be bold, as I sometimes am and just go into the lobby with your laptop and ask if you can use it for a few minutes. I've never been turned down.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/11 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Millenicom offers a month-to-month service for $59.99 p/m. EVDO speeds, 20-gb of data, piggybacks onto the Verizon data network and sometimes they run a special and give you the device for free. max throughput speed is 3.1mbps which is more than adequate for e-mail, browsing, online shopping, updates, etc. it is *not* fast enough for streaming video like TV and movies....U-Tube stuff is OK.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/11 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the last time I checked Verizon had a "pay as you go" plan. Don't have the particulars, but worth checking into.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

trtog7

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/11 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont want to use cell phone as it has a $1.00 a minute roaming charge

Lorne&Lorraine

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also use Virgin Mobile's Broadband2go pay-as-you-go broadband internet and second the Walmart deal. On the road, we use less than 500 MB of data per month so would easily get by with Walmart's $20/mo for 1GB. Unfortunately, since we purchased our device at Best Buy 18 months ago we had to pay $40/month (now raised to $50/mo) this past winter. There is an upfront cost for the modem after which you only pay for the data/time you use it. The Virgin modem worked great all over Florida the winter before last. Last winter we used it on a cross continental trip through 17 states. We could get our e-mail and web browse almost everywhere we went but were quite disappointed in the very low speeds we often encountered. If this doesn't improve on our next outing, we will be seeking another option.

Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/11 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Virgin Mobile plan is the only plan in its price range that lets you take service month to month and skip months that you don't want service. The recent increase in price from $40 to $50 per month also decreased the amount of gb allowed. The "unlimited" plan per month is now $80. I just looked at the Verizon plan and the price is outrageous - over $200 for the usb plug for your computer on the pay as you go broadband plans. The Virgin plug is $75 for one computer or $160 for a mobile hotspot.

Depending on the cell phone and service you have you can also add "tethering" to your phone plan and some companies will allow you to do this month to month and not add it permanently to the plan. This will allow you to connect your phone to your computer with a USB cord and use the phone as a modem to connect to your cell's data service. Iphones and some Android phones have built in hotspot capability but this requires a monthly additional fee for use.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: