RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: MH Propane tank re-certifcation?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> MH Propane tank re-certifcation?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cvbdsl

Winchester, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mentioned on the "what did you do to your MH today" topic about having my propane tank re-certified . It generated some questions and I don't want to hi-jack that thread so started a new topic.

I know that portable 20lb tanks must be rec-ertified every 10 years (in Ontario) and it is cheaper to buy a new one at Costco.

The questions is, does anyone know of any state/province requirements to have your MH propane tank re-certified every X number of years? I was told that since my MH tank was over ten years old, it need to be re certified and could not be filled until it was done.

(The cost to me was $398 plus a leak test for $99. Later I found out I could have had it done where I bought the MH for $250!).

Thanks

Chris

2003 Dutch Star 4005
2013 Ford Edge - Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

In the United States, the portable tanks need to be re-certified after about 15 or 20 years, while motorhome mounted tanks don't require it for about 20 years, but I don't remember the actual times and don't have a link, so I will be interested in checking this post for the correct information later today.

I was going to ask the same question, as my motorhome is getting to be close to 15 years old.

Fred.

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about any Canadian requirements, but as far as the states go, it is NOT required to be re-certified. The fixed horizontal motorhome tank comes under completely different rules than the portable vertical tanks. Here is a link to an earlier discussion on Canadian law

Here is a statement from another website reference the ASME tanks in motorhome here in the US.
Today’s motorized coaches generally have a propane container referred to as a propane tank. This tank is hung from the underneath of the RV. Since 1983 stop fill devices have been required on these tanks. This stop fill device is much like an OPD.

The pressure relief on these containers is set to relieve at 312.5PSI. There are no re-certification requirements for this type of container. The data plate for these containers is attached during manufacturing. Among other markings is the water capacity in pounds.

Link to ASME information

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LP 4-40 lb DOT Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that.

For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete.

MH with a horizontal tank are ASME(Not DOT) are in a horizontal configuration that is used almost exclusively on motorhomes.
They have a separate port for filling, and are designed to be bolted to the RV's frame. They must be filled in place. They do not require recertification.

Bottom line, ASME tanks do not require recertification. DOT cylinders require requalification 12 years from date of manufacture. This requalification can be done in three different ways. An "E" requalification is an external, visual inspection and is good for five years. It is identified by the letter "E" after the date (month/year) of requalification.

There is also a modified hydrostatic test that gets a seven year "S" stamp and a full hydrostatic retest that has the same 12 year life as a new cylinder. Generally it is not cost effective to do anything more than a visual, five year requalification for tanks of 20-40 pounds capacity.
If those size cylinders are of aluminum construction it may pay to do full hydrostatic retest, but it would depend on the cost for the five year visual vs the 12 year hydro.

Any recertification requires a unique four digit RIN number as part of the requalification date stamp or tag. This number is issued to certified requalification locations by the federal government.

The information addressing this issue, both DOT cylinders and ASME vessels is spelled out in NFPA Phamplet 58.

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Permanently mounted LP tanks do not need to be re-certified in the US.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

UnclePokey

43° 23' 9.96

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer we tried to get our permanent tank filled at Petro Canada in Cobourg and was refused because of the date. I asked what the rule was and the attendant said 10 years. I asked for proof and they couldn't supply it. I explained as I understood the rule that, ASME tanks that fuel the appliances and not the engine do not need recertification. I got refilled at a gas station in Burlington with absolutely no problem later the sameday. That was the only time we've been refused in 8 years of ownership. The tank was made in 1991.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am lucky to live in the United States, where they do not require requalifications every 10 years on the frame mounted tanks. And I also know how to refill my frame moutned tank - so I don't have to move my RV to fill it.

My guess is you can visit several propane filling stations, and find one that will fill it without looking over the date carefully.

When my portable tank gets close to 12 years old, I wonder what I will do then? Probably keep taking it to the same place that never looks for a date code. I know that a lot of new tanks where sold in 2003 because the OPD had to be installed by a certain time, so they will be taken out of service by the 12 years rule in a short time, 4 years from now, unless recertified.

I know how they recertify compressed air tanks. THey use ultrasound to determine how thick the steel walls are, then take them out of service if the steel wall is less than a certain amount of material left. Many look great on the outside, (great looking paint with no seel rusted away) but water and rust takes place mostly on the inside, unseen. This makes the steel thinnner each year, until they finally need replacement or crack and start to leak (or explode, that is why they are tested every 5 years in California).

Fred.

KCE

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I guess I am lucky to live in the United States, where they do not require requalifications every 10 years on the frame mounted tanks. And I also know how to refill my frame moutned tank - so I don't have to move my RV to fill it.

My guess is you can visit several propane filling stations, and find one that will fill it without looking over the date carefully.

When my portable tank gets close to 12 years old, I wonder what I will do then? Probably keep taking it to the same place that never looks for a date code. I know that a lot of new tanks where sold in 2003 because the OPD had to be installed by a certain time, so they will be taken out of service by the 12 years rule in a short time, 4 years from now, unless recertified.

I know how they recertify compressed air tanks. THey use ultrasound to determine how thick the steel walls are, then take them out of service if the steel wall is less than a certain amount of material left. Many look great on the outside, (great looking paint with no seel rusted away) but water and rust takes place mostly on the inside, unseen. This makes the steel thinnner each year, until they finally need replacement or crack and start to leak (or explode, that is why they are tested every 5 years in California).

Fred.

How do you do that?

KCE
2005 Sightseer 35N
2009 Honda CRV/RoadMaster/BB
Garmin 2720

cvbdsl

Winchester, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the good info. Next time ( five years from now) I'll just fill up in New York state before I come back. Propane is probably cheaper in the US (same as gas) anyhow.

thanks

chris

beachboy27

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is in the shop right now being recertified. Tried to get it filled last fall and they wouldn't do it here in Ontario. I had it filled in Florida in February.

98 Beaver Monterey
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
Sam,standard poodle

98 Beaver Monterey
2011 Toyota Matrix on dolly
Sam, Standard Poodle traveling companion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> MH Propane tank re-certifcation?
Search:   Advanced Search