RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Best Toad?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Best Toad?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to purchase a Toad and it will be USED. What are peoples' favorite Toad? Jeep, Honda, Saturn or ? Looking for something on the lighter side, already have something that would be a heavy Toad (and I not talking about me, LOL).

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

TexRex

Lockhart, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are also looking and reading all the posts about what folks are towing. We have a Jeep Liberty we bought new in 05 and it has been an outstanding vehical as far as being trouble free. Problem is it is a 2WD automatic and can not be toad four down without modifications. We are leaning pretty heavy toward a Jeep Rangler Sahara 4 door 4WD auto and also use it for our only car at home. We are not full timers and we both want the hard top that Sahara offers. Central Texas heat requires air conditioning to live and the hard top would work for that just fine. It looks like that will be our pick....

Thom
97 Rexhall Vision
Pride of the Fleet

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my Ranger. Use it as a car for DW and myself or as a truck when we workamp

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just sold our 2005 Honda Accord toad and bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara ?Unlimted. The only note of interest with our Jeep, is that the GVW is 4650 lbs, which is significantly heavier then the Accord.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pulling around a 2009 Ford Focus with manual tranny (2600 lbs).

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The BEST toad is the one YOU like. Just because someone thinks their toad is the best doesn't mean it would be for you. Do your homework, make a short list then drive them and decide from there.
The Jeep Wrangler is probably the most popular but not for everyone. I own one and if I didn't use it for off-roading it wouldn't have been my first choice. Other's love it. I also have a Liberty and it works well for everyday and a toad.
Remember, this is a vehicle you will be using on a daily basis and not just for towing so get something you can easily live with.

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a Jeep Lardo, when I go to replace it will be a lighter toad. over 4,500lbs, is allot when pulling up those long grades. Around town it gets about 16 MPG. Like the poster above mentioned, look for something you like. Not what is popular. In reality I drive my toad more then RV. Like when were in AZ. It's one hundred miles or more just go grocery shopping. Then day trips add up even quicker. So next time I'm going MPG. JM2Cents Bill

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us our lite FROG is a 04 Mustang Convertible and our heavy FROG is a 2000 Suburban. What is best for you is what you buy.

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

alandodson

Garland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FOR ME, a 2005 or 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon soft top with half doors. This may not fit some. We like to 4 wheel in the Rocky Mountains with the top down. The 2007 and up Wrangler is 6" wider and longer than the TJ and the 4.0 engine beats the new mini van V6 engine on the trails. For size, I preferred the CJ 2A and the CJ5 even over the TJ.
I am part of a Jeep group that goes camping and 4 wheeling in Colorado each September. Everyone gets to drive each vehicle and the vote for the straight 6 4.0 is the unanimous choice over the newer V6. I understand Jeep is going to come out with a new engine next year.
My TJ has "lock outs" front and rear; but any Wrangler is easy to tow.
If we could not use our Jeep the way we do, our choice would be something more comfortable ; but still something relatively small.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Honda CRV. It tows great with minimal setup and is a pleasure to drive. If I never had to use it for anything but a toad and didn't ever have to haul anything, I might get a Jeep Wrangler. But I do, and I will, so I won't.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Best Toad?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: