Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Worried about RV parks near I-15 from Arizona up to Montana

Posted By: faustinip on 04/25/11 03:33pm

Hi! We're heading up to Montana from Arizona in our MH very soon. I'm concerned that, unlike hotels, the RV campgrounds and Parks are going to be really far from the freeway. Is that true?

Thoughts about best, closest way to park RV off I -15? thank you so much!

Posted By: Calpine on 04/25/11 04:01pm

"going to be really far from the freeway. Is that true?"

No.

Posted By: Tiger4x4RV on 04/25/11 05:18pm

Isn't there is some sort of general policy that all RV parks must be situated between a freeway and the airport, landfill, or railroad?

Posted By: faustinip on 04/25/11 05:31pm

I haven't heard of that location policy you're referencing about rv park locations, but it sounds good to me. It's not that we have to be RIGHT by a freeway, but we won't always have the time to stop at parks an hour or so off the freeway. I'm hoping to find some link or information that lists parks in relationship to freeway locations. Thoughts?

Posted By: narcodog on 04/25/11 05:41pm

If you do a trip on Good Sam they will tell where all of the parks are. You can also get a copy of the Next Exit or a Campground book.

Posted By: RCMAN46 on 04/25/11 05:43pm

Most towns in Utah and Idaho have RV parks that are very near I15 with good access. This includes Salt lake city. You may have a problem finding a space at this time of the year as I15 has a lot of you snowbirds on their way home. We came up three weeks ago and could not find an open RV park and had to use a Motel.

Posted By: faustinip on 04/25/11 05:53pm

Oh yay! This is way encouraging! Thank you!

Posted By: skipnchar on 04/25/11 05:53pm

Yes some are a long ways away from the highway and others are not. You can camp in whichever suites you. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: ArcticDodge on 04/25/11 07:06pm

A quick look at my Trailer Life directory shows plenty of CG's as close to the Hwy as one can stand. I seem to have more issues finding CG's just far enough away from noisy freeways and busy roads.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

Posted By: chuckster11 on 04/25/11 09:44pm

Can't speak for Utah but in that portion of I-15 thru Idaho you have many choices that are adjacent to the interstate--McCammon, Pocatello, Fort Hall, Shelly, Idaho Falls all have parks close to I-15 and I have probably missed some other towns.

Posted By: GeeksRUs on 04/26/11 08:01am

We did the trip recently... left Tempe on the 13th.

Stop Overs:
Cedar City UT - KOA
Idaho Falls ID - Snake River RV Park
Great Falls MT - Dick's

All were very convenient to I15 without a lot of traffic noise.

Eh!

GeeksRUs
2008 Big Horn 3400RL
2008 Dodge RAM3500, Quad, Cummins, 4x4, Dually, LongBox
RV Home Base @ Coyote Creek Golf & RV Resort, Sundre Alberta

Posted By: SWMO on 04/26/11 10:42am

In many miles of travel I've never found that to be a problem, even of well traveled US routes.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Posted By: ramblemutt on 04/25/11 05:47pm

Not true. I haven't counted them all, but in Utah alone I can think of at least 15 decent RV parks within 5 minutes of their respective exits. Four KOAs that I know of for instance.

"WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US"
TWO OF US + THREE FUR KIDS (36 lbs, 44 lbs, 80 lbs)

SADLY, HEALTH ISSUES HAVE FORCED ME TO GIVE UP TRAILERING. MY EXCURSION AND TT HAVE BOTH BEEN SOLD. IT'S BEEN A HELL OF A RIDE.

Posted By: F-TROUP on 04/25/11 05:46pm

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Isn't there is some sort of general policy that all RV parks must be situated between a freeway and the airport, landfill, or railroad?

No, but they do have to be next to a Denny's....... LOL

Posted By: bobsallyh on 04/26/11 04:29pm

You won't have a problem. We usually don't get on I-15 until Pochatelo. But St. George, Leeds, Cedar City, SLC, RV parks are available. Then pushing on into Idaho, Pochatelo, Fort Hall, Shelly, Idaho Falls. On into the Big Sky State, Dillon, Butte, Helena, and Great Falls. And places in between. Have fun!

Posted By: Roy&Lynne on 04/26/11 04:30pm

Just use RV Park Reviews, I found them the best source of infomation and most include maps to the Campground. You shouldn't have any trouble, We never have. About two hours before I am ready to quit for the day, we generally stop and check out the next town down the road, go to RV Park Reviews, see whats available and call them. Sometimes we are asked for a credit card, often not.
Have a nice trip and enjoy Montana.

Our Road Less Traveled

Posted By: Duke-44 on 04/26/11 06:43pm

If you are leaving soon, the problem will not be whether there are enough RV parks. It will be are the Rv parks open. We still have winter up here and it is snowing now.
There are some nice RV parks along that route. We have stayed in several. One that we especially liked was in Dillon, MT. I don't
remember the name but it is on the south end of town. So if you take the first exit for Dillon you should run right into it.

Happy trails

Posted By: RCMAN46 on 04/26/11 07:23pm

Duke-44 wrote:

If you are leaving soon, the problem will not be whether there are enough RV parks. It will be are the Rv parks open. We still have winter up here and it is snowing now.
There are some nice RV parks along that route. We have stayed in several. One that we especially liked was in Dillon, MT. I don't
remember the name but it is on the south end of town. So if you take the first exit for Dillon you should run right into it.

Happy trails

X2 on Dillon. I believe the park is the South Side RV park.

Print  |  Close