|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Apollo Rental Class B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
purpleplaytapus

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rented from Apollo - AKA Cheapa Camper - in San Fransisco, well Oakland - this past summer (2011). I was a little unsure at 1st - especially when I did street view on Google Maps for their address and it was a vacant lot! I rented the smallest Class B they had and while there were several issues with the coach, I found that I LOVED the van!!! (I'd rented 2 class Cs and a B+ in the past and thought that I'd like a van better) I later saw a van exactly like the one I rented on RV Trader and while it was classed as a Roadtrek the post identified it as a Majestic. I googled the company and found nothing. It was built on a Ford Chassis.

One issue I had were that the fridge (size extra small, no freezer) only ran on electric/battery - no propane. I was spending the better part of my 2 weeks dry camping. I'd also selected a campsite at Sequoia in the "Generator Free Zone" since I didn't think I'd need the generator and since it's a rental they charge you to use the generator. The battery was dead within 2 days and that was with not using anything other than the water pump and the hot water heater in the AM - I used my "headlamp" for light at night.

The other issue was the toilet. The unit did not have a black tank, rather it had a toilet cartridge that was on the passenger side so had to be pulled out and drug around the vehicle to get to the dump station. It was also heavy and hard to get aimed up with the sewer hole and not spill. Once you were done with that, you still had to hook up the sewer hose and crawl on the ground to get the valve open and dump the grey tank. Oh and the toilet cartridge was very small..I'm just one person and I felt like that thing was continuously full - and I used other facilities any time there was a choice.

Those issues aside renting the van did help me decide that I wanted one of my very own and assuming all goes according to plan by this time next week I'll own a 2011 PW Plateau! :-)

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting electric only fridge...

The cartridge toilet is a European style deal.

I like the idea, but would have designed it somewhat differently.

Noting the features for my next Class B

annmn1951

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been considering the Class B and found the local dealers here for all the top ones..PWay, RT LTV GWV Era and Airstream and also wanted to rent one to see if I could live in the small space. I found the dealer Lake Region RVs has ONE. It is a Pway Excel. Even though I am looking at the Sprinter, I think this is money well spent trying it out. I am set this summer for a 10 day trip to try it out before spending the big bucks.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Interesting electric only fridge...

The cartridge toilet is a European style deal.

I like the idea, but would have designed it somewhat differently.

Noting the features for my next Class B

Apollo is Australian owned, so a cartridge toilet is not alien to them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Apollo Rental Class B
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS