RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can you buy land and build a RV pad on it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Can you buy land and build a RV pad on it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SoonToRetireNYC

NYC

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We r considering being snowbirds, and trying to see should we have a permanent summer homebase up in the northeast, and rent a RV pad in Florida during winter months. After looking at the RV pads down in Great Outdoors RV resort in Titusville, Fl and they cost an average of $50,000 , I say, may be I should find a couple of acres up in the northeast and build my own RV pad, complete with water, electric, and sewage hookup for may be $20,000 can that be done? And if I can do that up north, may be I can do that down in Florida too. 2 RV pads for the price of one . Have you guys have similar thoughts?

Vince Fonghi - NYC

Hawpac

Mt. Clemens, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a cousin here in the thumb area of michigan that has done that very thing. Bought a 5 acre plot put a pad for the 5th wheel and built a huge pole barn. Water, gas, and electric to both. We have all of that sides family parties there. I don't know about FL, but I see no reason why not.

2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 DWR 8.1L w/ Allison.
2001 Fleetwood Mallard 30E BHS

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/11 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonToRetireNYC wrote:

We r considering being snowbirds, and trying to see should we have a permanent summer homebase up in the northeast, and rent a RV pad in Florida during winter months. After looking at the RV pads down in Great Outdoors RV resort in Titusville, Fl and they cost an average of $50,000 , I say, may be I should find a couple of acres up in the northeast and build my own RV pad, complete with water, electric, and sewage hookup for may be $20,000 can that be done? And if I can do that up north, may be I can do that down in Florida too. 2 RV pads for the price of one . Have you guys have similar thoughts?
All depends on Where in the northeast you're talking about, I'm guessing that anywhere near a city, (even a small one), you'll run into a lot of zoning, & environmental problems, some counties even have a size restriction, ie a lot must be at least 1/2 acre, some are even more restrictive in which case the land alone could be more than $20,000.
Thats not to say that it can't be done, but you'll need to do some serious studying on it. Again, the whole thing depends on Where.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are at the mercy of the zoning boards...

Good luck.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zoning and deed restrictions may be an issue. But I'll bet you can find a place out in the country somewhere. And even then it may be good to have a long driveway so you cannot be seen from a main road. I doubt you would find a half acre lot, to do it on. Might need more like 5 acres to make it work. I'd look for a private piece of land on a stream or river. You could get into trouble trying to get septic approval. But if classed as a mobile home, it might be do-able.

I have thought the same thing. But haven't looked into it yet. You can make an RV site to your exact liking.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/11 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some places might not allow you to have power on a site without building a house or doing something like that. It REALLY depends on your zoning and permit people. For example, you might have to put in septic before being allowed to drill a well and then put in "temporary" construction power. If you can identify an area you are interested in, you might want to check with a local building contractor for the skinny on what is allowed. I'd do that before trying the "official" route of checking with the government zoning and permit people -- although they are the final word on it.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on local ordinances and zoning laws

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Illinois, you can put a mobile home on your own property if:

The lot is no smaller than five acres

You stated your primary occupation as "Farmer" on your last five federal income tax returns.

FANC 1

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While on vacation in Maine I met a guy that had property with a FW set up for the summer. He had water, electric and a septic system on his own land. He worked in Bar Harbor for the summer and lived in Florida for the winters. Sounds like a ideal way to retire.
Bob

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/11 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zoning issues......biggest problem.

Finding large enough lot to put in septic.....lot of restrictions. $$

Source of water......has a well/drill a well/water allotment. $$$

Source of power.....power on lot/close to lot/miles away from lot. $$$$

Access to property...no road/dirt road/gravel road.....maintained/not maintained. $$$$$

If you find one that fits the bill and only costs $20,000 Buy TWO (We'll work out an agreement later to take the second one off your hands....hehe)

We look everywhere we travel for just what you have in mind....most of the time we find the land with no zoning/restriction problems but run into problems with well/septic/power.
Occasionally we find 'developed' land (well/septic/power on site) but run into zoning/restrictions (No RV....mobile home/manufactured home/site built home only).

It's a tough find......our other problem is I'm CHEAP (want 2 acres with well/septic/power on site for less than $25,000 HA)....still looking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Can you buy land and build a RV pad on it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS