RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Class C newbie is surprised!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C newbie is surprised!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
thestarfinder

Mount Gretna Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/11 04:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with the class "C".......We are going full time in July and feel the same ....Go to work to buy the clothes to go to work and go to work to pay the bills on the house that you do not spend much time in because you are at work to pay for the house.....Round and round we go.... We are going from a 3000 Sq.Ft. house(2 people to around 300 Sq Ft. class "C" 2009 four winds dutchman,and going to see the country one National park at a time.......And lovin it!!!!! See you at Zion N.P. Tom and Becky

Exist Responsibly.........

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eating "bloney" sandwiches instead of routine stopping at restaurants on the road can save a lot of money. Parking for free at Walmarts etc., overnite while travelling can save $50 a night. Staying at fancy/kid oriented RV parks can be pricey too. Travelling at average 55-60 mph can help gas mileage. Pull over when safe and let the local yokels fly by.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/11 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm currently in a class A but, am looking strong to move to a class C next summer. I want a bedroom in the back and a cab-over bed. We now have the sofa that slides out to a bed and the bedroom in the back. The sofa is not ideal. I think the cab-over bed would be perfect.

I do like the huge windshield in the A. But the price of that is that the front space is kinda wasted while camping. It feels roomy though.

Austin Mini

Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/11 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.....Now I'm surprised again. After being told we pre-qualified for this RV; we got a call today that we won't be financing unless we put more down payment. (Something told me they were playing games) Well; back to the drawing board and considering an older Class A. I'm kind of relieved actually.

Don't worry....It is better to have had and lost; than to never have had at all. Every day; you are making future memories

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/11 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, currently owning an A myself I think you will like it, depending on what you're needs are. I enjoy driving mine. I drove it through the mountains last fall during the height of the fall leaf colors. The big windshield combined with the awesome stereo made it an awesome drive. For us it's just my wife and I and some dogs. If we needed to sleep more I would get a class C. In fact, I am still strongly considering a C next summer. The A feels like a cottage when you stop for the day (maybe a C does to). My wife likes the fact that she can get out of the passenger seat and walk around in the RV real easy. We spin the passenger seat around at the campgrounds or when boondocking but, so far, just the dog uses it. He sleeps there at night too and he likes to lay on that great big dash board and sun. The dash is huge. It seems that only the dogs care about that part. They love to sit there, catch some rays, and watch the world.

If you can find an A that has a drop down bed up front that would be useful. We have several friends with class C's. The gas mileage is no different. Our class A has a Chevrolet 454 and we tend to get slightly better gas mileage than our friends (one with a 460 and one with a V-10). But, the Ford V-10 is an awesome engine from what I have seen and I would sacrifice a mile per gallon to get that engine. The 460 and the 454 seem pretty equal as far as power delivery goes.

My class A is an older one, 1990. For me that's a good thing right now. I have the 16 inch wheels rather than the bigger wheels. It matters to me because tires are cheaper and I can pull a wheel myself if I get a flat or otherwise need to pull a wheel off. My MH weighs 13000 pounds. That a couple thousand pounds lighter than the later models. My buddy has a 2000 model that's two feet longer than mine and he weighs 17000, same engine, etc..

Anyway, the point is, you can and will enjoy either motorhome design. At the end of the day there just isn't that much difference.

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/11 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Austin Mini wrote:

Well.....Now I'm surprised again. After being told we pre-qualified for this RV; we got a call today that we won't be financing unless we put more down payment. (Something told me they were playing games) Well; back to the drawing board and considering an older Class A. I'm kind of relieved actually.
Preowned RVs can be had for waay less than $20K, in fact, less than $10K will buy a nice travel trailer - which should be within just about everyone's ability to pay cash for, versus financing these things. Financing a highly depreciating RV is not a pretty picture if you get into a finacial tight and need to get out of it when you are upside-down in it.

I paid cash for my first RV in my early 30s. A very nice, high-end, Class A Vogue diesel in the 1980s. To me, paying cash and saving for what I wanted to buy, was the only way to go on a budget. That was 25 years ago. No regrets paying cash for toys, even a high-end diesel rig. None at all!

“I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C newbie is surprised!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS