RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 264  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

69cayo wrote:

Avion TCs are 40+ years old, I'm calling the small dents on mine "character".

Obviously you have a male AVION....LOL

I guess mine is a male too, since I agree with 69Cayo, the dents are just more "Character"
Garry

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Conch Cruiser

Southport, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avion C-11
Around here, we have Dent Doctors who can pop out hail dings and door dings with some process (unknown to me). They claim no painting for automotive repair. Try to Google dent doctor or ding repair. I heard they use dry ice. Not verified.

1999 Chevy 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed
1996 Coachmen Ranger 100SD
Tork Lift Front Tie Downs
Happijac Rear Tie Downs
Ride Rite Air Bags
Polar Cub AC Model 9201a-776 8,300BTU
Honda EU2000i generator

Avion C-11

Columbia SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the Experts in the other forum thinks that because it is not tempered aluminum that the dent area is stretched and will not go back to it's original shape after it has been dented. In the bigger dent that I fixed I was able to get it to shrink a tiny bit so I will keep playing with them. If I can't get a solution I will put patches over the ugly ones and live with the others. The patches look cool anyway.

I'll let you all know if I find a solution.

* This post was edited 02/04/12 09:41pm by an administrator/moderator *

Avion C-11

Columbia SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talked with Cayo Repair Service today and they also said there is no way to fix dings because of stretching.

Happy Camping!

Avioncamper.wordpress.com

Avion C-11

Columbia SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw these emblems on Ebay today. Not sure of their authenticity because mine do not look to be cast aluminum: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVION-Cast-Aluminun-Plaque-Car-Club-Plaque-RV-Trailler-UN-PAINTED-/140684665775?hash=item20c175a3af&item=140684665775&pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

merc25

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well!!! I have now read this entire thread and I just want to tip my hat to you guys and thank you for the wealth of information, pics and the benefit of your experience. I stumbled into this forum because I have an offer on a '66 C10. I have only seen a few pictures of it but suspect it could be a considerable project. I proceed armed with sober foreknowledge! I believe these aluminum rigs are worth salvaging (I am 70% complete on an original restore of a 1950 Spartan Royal Mansion). My primary concern is with body repair. My C10 would have a pretty good crease front curbside cabover, affecting 4 or 5 curved panels. I have been unable to contact Cayo Repair (I just get a generic answering machine). I will try again but what I need to know is if they still offer replacement panels. Think I recall someone posting otherwise. I'm not convinced I could get a satisfactory result just hammering them out. Can anyone help?
Thanks again for making the effort in sharing your experiences.

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

merc25,

Welcome aboard and best of luck. The Avion is a project for folks with loads of patience.

I did order panels from Cayo about two years ago, as I recall. Interestingly, the wrong side panels were shipped and had to be replaced. As I understood it, from talking to the Cayo office, they have molds that replicate the shapes of all of their products. So, I assume that they bend them as needed. I also recall someone saying that Cayo no longer was providing the panels. I don't know the basis of that.

Every one of my experiences with Cayo were terrific. So, things may have changed. Keep calling.

Avion C-11

Columbia SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

merc25,

Welcome aboard and best of luck. The Avion is a project for folks with loads of patience.

I did order panels from Cayo about two years ago, as I recall. Interestingly, the wrong side panels were shipped and had to be replaced. As I understood it, from talking to the Cayo office, they have molds that replicate the shapes of all of their products. So, I assume that they bend them as needed. I also recall someone saying that Cayo no longer was providing the panels. I don't know the basis of that.

Every one of my experiences with Cayo were terrific. So, things may have changed. Keep calling.

I think you will be able to get the panels from Cayo Repair Service. They may not match in finish exactly. It would not be hard to make your own or have some made. Might take some trial and error but I would not let that stop me.

I took some pretty big dents and creases out of mine with good results. Here's pics to compare with yours:

Once I finish with the polish you will never know it was there

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if anyone has explored replacement windows for the Avion? I have in mind tinted, double glazed windows. I have run across windows that interested me from Dometic, but I can't find a source in the US.

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

merc25 wrote:

Well!!! I have now read this entire thread and I just want to tip my hat to you guys and thank you for the wealth of information, pics and the benefit of your experience. I stumbled into this forum because I have an offer on a '66 C10. My primary concern is with body repair. My C10 would have a pretty good crease front curbside cabover, affecting 4 or 5 curved panels. I have been unable to contact Cayo Repair (I just get a generic answering machine). I will try again but what I need to know is if they still offer replacement panels. Think I recall someone posting otherwise. I'm not convinced I could get a satisfactory result just hammering them out. Can anyone help?
Thanks again for making the effort in sharing your experiences.

Well welcome to the Avion part of RV.net's TC world!! I spoke with Cayo when I bought my C-10 about a year ago to help determine what year it was. Turns out it is a 66. CAyo told mev that it is too expensive for him to order and keep in stock anodized aluminum, so he would still make new aluminum panels for people, but they would either be painted to closely match the anodized look, or if a person bought the anodized aluminum, shipped it to Cayo RV, then they would make the desired panels.
This information was accurate back in the April/May time frame of 2011. With the Economy, I don't kn ow if that is still the case. Otherwise you can do what many here have done and just straighten the best you can. The only drawback there, is that means basically a complete tear-down, to remove all the interior panels, remove the insulation in the area of the dents, then straighten, reapply the insulation, then re install the interior. It is a big project, as you can see the work that 69Cayo (Dennis) has done to his C-11. But the good news there, is that you will know exactly the condition of your entire Camper after you are done. And I you wnat to add any lights, wiring or change things around, it is much easier knowing where everything is, and that it is done right.

Hope this Helps,
Garry In Kodiak, AK

(Yesterday had to sweep over a foot of snow off the top of the TC and the Class C MH that will be sold in the spring hopefully...)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 264  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS