|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> tow dolly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DouglasBriggs

Vassar, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to use a tow dolly and am trying to find the laws on them. I am from Mi. and found that they don't need to be licensed in my state. Also read all other states honor the law on this from the state it was registered in, but this was only from different forums I checked. When and where are brakes required ? I would be pulling a Olds Silhouette mini-van wired for lights with a 35' Winnebago. I been searching the DMV but haven't found it yet.

Thanks, Doug from Mi.

GGoodsell

Lincoln, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a tow dolly to pull our Toyota Camry behind our Bounder 33' motorhome. In California the dolly does not have to have its own license plate and as long as the dolly and motorhome lights are clearly visible no additional lights are needed on the towed vehicle. I made a point of buying a dolly with electric brakes and had a controller wired into the motorhome. I cannot conceive of towing any passenger vehicle without brakes on the dolly. Whether electric or surge brakes, I would not consider using a dolly without brakes. Good luck!

s N s

Michigan / Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Mi myself and yes no plate needed. Have never had an issue towing thru any state even if a plate was required in that area. As far as brakes, don't leave home without them. Towing something that heavy you'll wish you had them the first time you have to make an emergency stop. JMHO

Steve & Sally
HiTee & Hudson (Our Little Poms)
Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Leeblev

Pinole, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A general rule is that anything weighing over 1500 lbs. has to have brakes. That is NOT always the rule in every state, but it is a good one to follow. I also would not tow without brakes on the dolly.
Let me correct GGoodsell's statement. In California, you do have to register and display a license plate on a tow dolly. Doesn't cost much for the reg. though.
That doesn't apply to you in your state.
Generally speaking, if your vehicle being towed on the dolly is protruding more than 4' behind the dolly, then you do have to have lights on the vehicle being towed. Research this through your own states Vehicle Code.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get brakes, or you will have 4500# pushing that MH when you are trying to stop. OK for normal slowing to a stop but if you had an emergency stop you would REALLY wish you had brakes back there!
Check your MH owner manual, it may tell you to install brakes on anything over 1500/2000#.

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DouglasBriggs wrote:

I am from Mi. and found that they don't need to be licensed in my state.
Doug,
Not necessarily true. NYS is the same as Michigan in that they do not need a license tag. But NYS will give you a license plate for a dolly if you intend on taking it out of state, because some states require dollies from NYS to be tagged when going into or thru their state. You need to find someone from the state DMV who is knowledgeable about the dolly laws. Think a couple of the New England states are the culprits, but not 100% sure. You will need the DMV laws for each state you travel thru in this matter and concerning the brakes. And don't necessarily believe what someone on a forum tells you concerning state dmv laws, including myself! You need to check this stuff first hand. Here is the NYS reference concerning tow dollies: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv274.pdf

* This post was edited 05/11/11 09:35pm by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

barnaclebill

Atlanta Michigan or towards the sun

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/11 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, make sure the dolly you buy will handle the weight of that minivan, many are not rated for that much weight.

2003 41' Newmar Mountain Aire
400 Cummins
Jeep Liberty
Blue Ox Brake Buddy

dbates

Marion, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IN is the same as MI as far as not needing plates on the dolly or lights on the toad. As you can see from the map below we’ve pulled our dolly through 41 states & have never had an issue concerning this. I can't say that some other state's officer couldn't try to enforce their law but I have never had it happen.

Even though IN does not require the toad to be lit (if the dolly is properly lit) I would not feel comfortable driving at night without it being lit so I have a par of mag. lights (with a plate light wired in) that I can hook up if forced to drive after dark.

I agree with the above. Don’t even consider a dolly without electric or surge brakes. You never know when you might have to stop in a hurry.

Dave

Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am from MI. also. Tow with a dolly.
No plates required.
You need brakes. You minivan weighs over 4,000 lbs. Add the dolly and you will be trying to stop 5000 extra pounds with your MH.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

1fastdad

mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Demco 460SS is the best tow dolly on the market. It comes wth surge brakes and many other good fetures. I have had one for almost six years and had my first problems this last fall on the way to florida. I lost both tires due to road conditions in Ark. but I found out that the tires were Carliles and almost nine years old. They use Godyear Marithons on them now.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> tow dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS