Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Background Check for a RV Park?

Posted By: Sooner Schooner on 05/16/11 08:06am

I recently called a RV park in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area to check on a monthly rate and was informed that they would do a background check on us first. Now, I am all for security and safety but this seems a little extreme. We are currently in a very nice city operated park and their policy is one warning to rule violators and then you are gone...no nonsense...just act correctly or else. My understanding was that just monthly rate people get the background check, not the people who stay 1 day to 3 weeks. My wife and I are retired and have nothing to hide, but I think it was the policy and the attitude of the person that was on the phone that struck me wrong. I'm assuming that they would ask for our SSN and DL number, and that goes too far for a place to park my RV. Yes,I know we can go elsewhere,(and we did) but just thought I would see what others thought.
PS: This resort was operated by "Carefee Resorts"

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Posted By: deltamaster on 05/16/11 08:20am

It is their playground and they can do what they want. If it is a bad policy (for the area) then attendance will drop and business will falter. Unfortunately there must be a reason for this policy... likely too many deadbeats that ended up staying for free for several months. I know in many jurisdictions a monthly rental on a camp site is considered (in the eyes of the law) the same as rental property and evictions are handled in the same manner as would be for a rental apartment, which can be difficult and expensive.

I own rental property and always check out prospective tenants before signing anything or letting them in the property. It is much easier to evict tenants BEFORE they are tenants than it is after they are on an agreement.

On the other hand anything less than a month may/could be considered (in the eyes of the law) the same as a hotel room and if the occupant does not pay they can be very easily evicted and even arrested for theft of service.

I ride it like I stole it!
.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

Posted By: coolmom42 on 05/16/11 08:32am

Are they talking about a background check, or a credit check? Those are not the same thing.

A credit check is reasonable if you are going to be there a while, similar situation to a renter, as someone stated.

A background check would show any criminal record, particularly sexual offender databases. I can understand why a park owner would want to check that for anyone planning to be there a while. Obviously they don't want pedophiles or meth cookers taking up residence.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Posted By: johnna on 05/16/11 08:51am

I personally would be more comforted knowing that long term tenants had their backgrounds checked. I also like to see security cameras covering public areas. I am not worried about my so called privacy being invaded. I guess I am funny that way.

2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

Posted By: Tom N on 05/16/11 08:55am

They may have had a problem in the past with convicted sex offends or felons.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Posted By: past-MIdirector on 05/16/11 09:01am

If you do it for one group then you need to do it for all. What's to stop someone from coming in for a couple of weeks and then decide to stay. By then it's going to be hard to get them out. You can tell more by the vehicle an individual has and the way they come across then most back ground checks which in most state cost $35 that will most likely be past on to the person who is applying to rent the site.
Most people who rent sites long term at most camp grounds are temporary workers who move with the work or visitors for the season. There will always be a few bad apples but they usually are in older run down places, that most of us would just drive past.

Posted By: Jack_Diane_Freedom on 05/16/11 10:10am

That is unusual. I just booked a reservation with the Dunedin Carefree RV Resort
for next winter and no such policy. Just name, address, arrival/departure dates and credit card.

Posted By: RRUGG on 05/16/11 10:59am

I certainly wouldn't give them my ss number.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Posted By: ChefP on 05/16/11 11:39am

TBNT(Thanks but no thanks)on the background check or giving out personal info. I don't have anything to hide either, but I DO have info that I'd like to keep private. Handing out info these days is like advertising and hackers keep getting smarter.

DW and I needed somewhere to park so she could go to school half the week and not commute so much. We chose a CG in VA to park for a year and the deal was sealed on a handshake and a promise. I'm gonna hold up my end and I know they'll hold up theirs. We talked over the phone then met in person and that's about it! They're good people and we like the think we're OK, too. Its a shame that we've gotten to the point where you can't trust folks.

Dave & Jami
1988 Terry Resort 18D, our first TT!
1984 Chaparral 172
2005 Durango Hemi Ltd.
Home is where you park it!

Posted By: Stumps on 05/16/11 11:51am

I'd be movin' on. The benefit of living on wheels.

sounds weird to me. These aren't rental properties, and guests aren't signing a lease.

2011 Honda Pilot
2009 Jayco 1207

Eat at Mary's Hot Tamales - Magnolia Ave, Knoxville, TN!

Posted By: rver1997 on 05/16/11 11:53am

That is a bit strange but I suppose they have a reason for it. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out my SSN though. That is a bit too far for an RV park.

Posted By: routeforty on 05/16/11 12:08pm

If they say they are trying to keep out sex offenders etc., and you still decided to give them your personal information for them to check, I would 'INSIST' on the personal information on the owners and every employee of the park in order to 'protect yourself' from the same type of person that they are trying to protect themselves from. But I imagine when you make this request there will be dead silence from their end of the phone. There's NO WAY that I would give that personal info to a stranger on the phone. I feel uneasy enough giving my CC info out. That's why we use a very low credit limit one for online purposes and monitor it constantly.

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

Posted By: bukhrn on 05/16/11 12:09pm

Sooner Schooner wrote:

I recently called a RV park in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area to check on a monthly rate and was informed that they would do a background check on us first. Now, I am all for security and safety but this seems a little extreme. We are currently in a very nice city operated park and their policy is one warning to rule violators and then you are gone...no nonsense...just act correctly or else. My understanding was that just monthly rate people get the background check, not the people who stay 1 day to 3 weeks. My wife and I are retired and have nothing to hide, but I think it was the policy and the attitude of the person that was on the phone that struck me wrong. I'm assuming that they would ask for our SSN and DL number, and that goes too far for a place to park my RV. Yes,I know we can go elsewhere,(and we did) but just thought I would see what others thought.
PS: This resort was operated by "Carefee Resorts"
You spoke with them, I didn't, but are you sure they didn't mean a "Credit" check? If indeed it was "Background" check, then I'd do the same as you,& move on down the road.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Posted By: Sooner Schooner on 05/16/11 12:55pm

They said "background check".

Posted By: WTTCS on 05/16/11 04:31pm

Are you talking about Treetops in Arlington? If so, in Tx anyone who stays over 30 days falls under the landlord/tennant laws and it takes up to 6 months to evict them. That is why most rv parks do a credit check on long termers.

Background check? Im with you on that, furgit it, ainta gonna happen!

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Posted By: RoadXYZ on 05/16/11 04:47pm

Interesting thread - I for one have run across three in Oregon & Washington State who have this policy. And having been for a year in an rv park in which I knew there was "business" going on, I like the background check idea. I would prefer to stay months at a time in an rv park in which a backgroud check was done on all persons considered "residents".

But again maybe that is because my DH & I managed a manufacturing (mobile) home park, and interviewed those interested in buying a home within the park. Never saw the reports as these were sent to the corporation, but did understand why corporation gave a "nay" on some. Had nothing to do with their cars, dres code, etc. We worked with the local police dept. and had a clean park as a result.

People are positively fascinating from the other side of the desk!

BTW here in SE Washington STate we are experiencing a growth in rv parks being built. We were on a "wait" list for several weeks for where we are, and there still is a wait list.

AND I do not ever show our RV registration to any rv park manager. So if there is an "age" restriction on RVs, we go elsewhere.

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 8 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / 30 ft. Alpenlite Travel Trailer

VOLUNTEERS - NPS, Oregon State Parks, USACE, Christian Retreat Centers, Local events, etc.

Posted By: RoyB on 05/16/11 04:48pm

ALot of HOTELS are now requesting your drivers license when you check in and they swipe them through a reader... Not sure what info is on your driver license strip other than your complete address...

When they did that to me recently I didnt have to fill out any checkin info etc they got it all from the license I guess... ????

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Posted By: Wadcutter on 05/16/11 04:48pm

It's not likely they're going to do a full criminal background check. First, they would not be allowed access to alot of information in LE files. Second, to get the info the public could get from a background check is going to cost them money. In IL that costs about $135 a name and what you get back is just from IL and is limited to convictions only, not arrests.
They could do a credit bureau check thru one of the credit agencies. It's not free.
If all they are doing is an internet check then they could get info such as registered sex offenders at no cost. That info is available to anyone thru national SOR records. National SOR

Camped in every state but Alaska

Posted By: tatest on 05/16/11 10:03pm

Fallout from enforcement efforts for a "Megan's Law."

A background check may be required for long term residents in specific geographic areas to identify offenders seeking to avoid registration requirements.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

Posted By: wbwood on 05/17/11 12:50am

This was discussed back in January about a place in Tucson doing the same thing. See that thread here.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Posted By: sgt77 on 05/17/11 05:48am

Unfortunately, because we have become such a lawsuit happy society, it is the future. At least until some legislators with cajones steps up and enacts laws to limit frivalous lawsuits that make lawyers and mopes who cannot take responsibility for their own actions rich and make the rest of us have to put up with these kinds of checks.

The sad thing is nothing will probably change since most politicians are lawyers.

What is a 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?......A good start.

Posted By: Sooner Schooner on 05/17/11 07:41am

WTTCS wrote:

Are you talking about Treetops in Arlington? If so, in Tx anyone who stays over 30 days falls under the landlord/tennant laws and it takes up to 6 months to evict them. That is why most rv parks do a credit check on long termers.

Background check? Im with you on that, furgit it, ainta gonna happen!

Yes WTTCS, it was Treetops.

Posted By: WTTCS on 05/17/11 02:41pm

Treetops < IMO, is the very best rv park in the dfw area. And with the economy what it is , I suspect most are checking credit.

But again, Im with you on the background part.

Posted By: NorCal Dan on 05/17/11 04:03pm

You can send your letter of thanks to the Department of Homeland Security. It's all about terrorism and making sure you're a legal alien.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

Posted By: MSGTRETIREDCSP on 05/17/11 04:23pm

For just a few nights in any RV park, a "Background" would be a bit extreme and a bit of overkill. For one thing, background checks don't come for free. If anyone wants my SSN, I'll just move on. I've never been asked for that, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

2008 Ford, F-350, CC, 6.4 PSD
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

Posted By: W4RLR on 05/17/11 07:36pm

RoyB wrote:

ALot of HOTELS are now requesting your drivers license when you check in and they swipe them through a reader... Not sure what info is on your driver license strip other than your complete address...

When they did that to me recently I didnt have to fill out any checkin info etc they got it all from the license I guess... ????

What is encoded on the magnetic stripe on credit cards and drivers licenses

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Posted By: pasusan on 05/17/11 07:44pm

rray32539 wrote:

RoyB wrote:

What is encoded on the magnetic stripe on credit cards and drivers licenses
Interesting - here's the Link

Trip Pics

"Are you sleeping.... Can you hear me?" Harry Nilsson

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Posted By: tatest on 05/17/11 08:07pm

MSGTRETIREDCSP wrote:

For just a few nights in any RV park, a "Background" would be a bit extreme and a bit of overkill. For one thing, background checks don't come for free. If anyone wants my SSN, I'll just move on. I've never been asked for that, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

If you are renting at monthly rates it is not a couple of nights. In most cases the person you are renting from does not run a background check, he is providing the identification information to local law enforcement so they can make a check.

There was once a time, in some places in the U.S., where such identification was required to check into a hotel, and furnished to the police. It is still the practice in many other countries, to track the movement of visitors and transients in this way.

Even in the EU where there are strong privacy laws at the international level, privacy is not confused with anonymity, as we tend to do here.

Print  |  Close