|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hardwood flooring

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
shooer2

Tazewell, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/11 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am wanting to replace the carpet in my RV with hardwood flooring. Has anyone done this that can give me some guidance, information and possibly what kind of wood they used and how they secured it, ie glue,nail etc. Thanks

GertiesTravels

Port Angeles, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/11 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search on the forum for Allure flooring. We just ripped out our carpet and put in Allure floor. No its not real wood but looks darn nice and lots of happy people with it in rv's. Real wood floor is too thick to fit under a slide and heavy. This stuff is easy to install, my husband did say it was a pain with all the trimming and cutting but he had it done in 2 days, only working a few hours each. Put down oak quarter round and I love it. Can't wait to just sweep out the rv. Trying to decide it we are goign to leav the small area of carpet on the slide or replace it also, that is tricker to deal with the edge of the slide.

1991 Chevy Western Hauler 454 engine - RV cam, Headers, Dual Flowmasters, K&N 100 Gall Aux Gas tank
2004 29' Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel
4 Interstate GC Batteries + WM Caps
2 daughters, 1 cat, 1 sofa lounging Pug, 4 peacocks, too many horses & chickens!

jcgribks

Olathe, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/11 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 34ft Itasca Suncruiser with a 13ft slide and I just finished up last night replacing all my carpet from the front seats back with laminate from Home Depot that was the snap it together type. The laninate is about 1/4" thick and was $0.99 a sq. ft. I used 150 sq ft (6 boxes) and then bought real oak 1/4 round and stained it to match.

I didn't have to do any modification to my slide as the carpet and the laminate were close to the same thickness.

1996 Itasca Suncruiser 34RQ, P32 w/ 454 TBI, Banks Air Intake, Harris Towmaster Performance Chip pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Azsouth

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/11 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced our carpet with self-adhesive vinyl tiles. A lot of folks will tell you not to do that because they have had experiences with tiles curling up, but we installed ours in the summer 2009 and the floor still looks great. Important note: we did not simply stick it down. We painted the base floor (wafer wood) with Kilz, then covered it with 1/8 luan, then installed the tile using a good quality vinyl tile glue....I've included pictures of our project here:

Our RV tile project

Tip: An airgun is a "must" for this project!

Good Luck!

2001 Rexhall Aerbus 3550 gasser
1983 Jeep CJ7 (Restored) Toad

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/11 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We but Pergo Red Oak laminate in our previous coach and loved it, we will very likely do it to this one some day

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/11 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had real hardwood flooring in my '94 Foretravel, that was there when I purchased it used. I do not believe that it was original, but there is not record with the coaches records. It looks to be professionally done. Appears to be similiar to some Bruce Hardwoods that I have seen. It runs from right behind cockpit all the way to the real, and includes the bathroom. The cockpit floor area is carpeted. Really like it and makes cleaning so much easier. Just sweep or wipe it up!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/11 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shooer2 wrote:

I am wanting to replace the carpet in my RV with hardwood flooring. Has anyone done this that can give me some guidance, information and possibly what kind of wood they used and how they secured it, ie glue,nail etc. Thanks

IF you have no slides it works well.Nail down a 5/16 plywood sub floor and then Nail down prefinished hardwood.Looks good but lots of work.I did it in my previous gulfstream
Im my last 2 slide allegro bus I installed new plywood good one side sub floor and then bought Vineyl planking(looks like real wood)
It glues down.Easy to cut and make tight fits but the glue is messy but even with the new subfloor height and all,the slides never bothered the new floor.

barth

Shefford, QC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/11 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The carpet has been replaced with engineered wood. It's real wood veneer on a laminate substrate. Total height:.5 inch
Doesn't affect the slide operation.

erniee

Weatherford, Texas 76086

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/11 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineered wood, glued down and most Class A slides will not impact it.

Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Hardwood flooring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS