RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anybody towing a 2009 Ford Escape with no problems?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anybody towing a 2009 Ford Escape with no problems?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Journeyer

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've written extensively about the problems I'm experiencing towing my 2009 Ford Escape on my blog.

I'm now stuck in SC with the same problem that was supposedly fixed last year. My travel plans for the summer are on hold and I'm so disgusted I really don't know what to do. Parts are on back order with 2,600 other folks in the same position waiting. At this point Ford can't even say when we will get the part. It's supposedly been on order on an emergency expedited basis since April 29. Now Ford reps aren't even returning my calls!

I've read enough stories from people who are having the same issues towing it, and have recently found out transmissions are failing even when not towed.

Asking here if anybody successfully towing the 2009 or 2010 Ford Escape with no problems. I've heard some hybrids have different tranmissions without the same issues. I'm trying to figure out if I should trade this in but on what?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Malia

Solo lady full timer having the time of her life!
My Journey Journal

Malia's Miles - info for RVers

mm047

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost hate to post this as I know it will change my luck. I've towed my '10 Mariner behind my Winnie View 8 or 9 times now since last summer. This is a total of only about 5,000 miles.

Matter of fact, I just got back in town a couple of hours ago from a 500+ mile run up into the mountains of Northern Arizona. Easy time towing, except it is hard to ever relax.

One thing that is different for me than "Flat Landers". Towing thru the mountains so much, my flat out speed varies from about 35 to 60. I think the longest run I made this week at a constant speed was only about 35 miles. I really have no idea if what I just wrote has any bearing on my luck so far.

Remco Towing is in the process of developing a lube pump for our rigs. They could have it on the market this summer. They already know I want one.

Mile M.

2008 Winnebago View 24J
2010 Mercury Mariner
Ready Brute Elite and Blue Ox

Journeyer

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, M² I really hope this doesn't jinx you!

I just updated the blog - my selling dealer from Texas got the part and is sending it overnight to the dealer here in SC. They say it's been redesigned and not just the same thing they did last year. It's supposed to be fixed tomorrow. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and say my prayers when I hit the road again on Thursday.

I don't know how the '10 Mariner differs from the '09 Escape transmission, but I hope your luck holds!

And actually, I understand these Escapes are having recurring transmission problems whether they're being towed or not. At first I thought it was just a flat tow issue, but apparently not. Some of the horror stories I've heard have turned my hair even more grey!

Journeyer

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's good to know, thanks, Ron! I figured there had to be some people out there with 2009 and 2010 Escapes that were doing okay. I understand it's more likely to find posts about complaints, so it just seemed like everyone has the same issues.

I had thought of trading up for that newer year, but still see info from people saying they're having lots of transmission failures for that year as well (even if they don't flat tow). So I haven't found a consistent reason that I can understand.

For sure I follow the instructions explicitly - that's the legal assistant meticulous side of me - I even printed those pages separately with pictures and everything so I have it handy in front of me every time I need it.

I had flat towed a Saturn for 8 years before this one with no problems whatsoever, so towing was not new for me.

Did you get the same supplemental booklet that I got about the importance of the transmission fluid level not being too high? Not sure if that was just about 2009 or not, so just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Ron!

Malia

Twilite Lady

SE Arizona Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/11 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have towed our 2010 Escape for 12,000 miles. We had to have the transmission replaced after the second tow with less than 2,000 miles on it. Since the replacement, and following all the required procedures, we have had no problems. touch wood! However, my husband is still concerned and looking at trading his PU in on something else to tow. He just doesn't know what other light weight vehicle to choose.

DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2009 Itasca Suncruiser 32H
2010 Ford Escape XLT

Ronald M

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my Escape for 6000 miles so far without any trouble.
It's a 2010 4cyl 2 wheel drive.
It's never been towed over 65mph. I follow what it says to do in the owners manual about towing.

Ron & Agnes
1999 3865 Dutch Star DP
Updated 2009 Full paint, new carpet & tile
Spartan IFS Chassis 300hp Cummins
2010 Ford Escape
FMCA 333800

Journeyer

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what you mean - it's hard to know what to do. On the one hand, I really love everything about my Escape - except for these recurring transmission problems, of course.

I'll see how it goes during my summer tour of MI, but if my travels keep being interrupted by having to visit Ford service centers, I will look into trading it in when I get back to Austin in November. I don't really like the Honda CRV as much, but that's probably what I'd go with. I haven't seen any reports of problems from people towing it - just the opposite - I hear lots of good things about it. I guess you get what you pay for, because it sure is more expensive than the Escape. But I now firmly believe that if I could have avoided the worry and anxiety I've experienced over the last 3 weeks because of this Ford product, the extra cash for a better car is well worth it!

Thanks for the reply, Twila, and I hope you continue to have no further problems.

Malia

Journeyer

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tip about BlueOvalNews. I just picked my car up from the service center and besides the axle kit fix, I got the new dipstick which is ever so much easier to read. And it's not just the dipstick that's redesigned, it's the whole tube assembly, so I advise anyone with that option to get the new one. I'll be doing a page about what I've learned and will post link here when I get it done. Thanks so much for the feedback - so cool how RVers stick together!

vfrmarc

Hamburg TWP Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/11 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Journeyer wrote:

I've written extensively about the problems I'm experiencing towing my 2009 Ford Escape on my blog.

I'm now stuck in SC with the same problem that was supposedly fixed last year. My travel plans for the summer are on hold and I'm so disgusted I really don't know what to do. Parts are on back order with 2,600 other folks in the same position waiting. At this point Ford can't even say when we will get the part. It's supposedly been on order on an emergency expedited basis since April 29. Now Ford reps aren't even returning my calls!

I've read enough stories from people who are having the same issues towing it, and have recently found out transmissions are failing even when not towed.

Asking here if anybody successfully towing the 2009 or 2010 Ford Escape with no problems. I've heard some hybrids have different tranmissions without the same issues. I'm trying to figure out if I should trade this in but on what?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Malia

We tow a 2010 Ford Fusion with the same engine transmission combo as can be found in the Escape. I4 and 6spd auto. We have three long trips of 2200, 1800, 1000 miles and two shorter trips - 300 and 400 miles since last year with a total of just over 22000 miles on the car. No tranny problems.

We had the TSB done before we took possession of the car from the dealer. When we tow we keep it generally around 59-62 but going down a long hill or mountain it can reach 68-69 momentarily before I switch on the exhaust brake.

I have owned many Fords over the years and when I have had tech issues I go to BlueOvalNews.com and login in to post a question. You will usually get a FORD engineer who follows the website to provide you with info. Based on reading this forum, I realize that many with the 6spd tranny have had problems, but I never seem to hear what the failure mode is and how a fix, if there is one, will solve the problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anybody towing a 2009 Ford Escape with no problems?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS