|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jayco delamination

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
yellow dog

South Brunswick, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2008 Jayco Eagle 345BHS. I recently observed the rear exterior wall showing signs of delamination. It is about half way up on the passanger side. There doesn't appear to be a problem with water leaking behind the wall. Has anyone with a Jayco experinenced any type of delamination? What aggrevates me is that I spent about 2 years researching 5th wheels to avoid problems such as this. If anyone experienced this how did you handle it? Did Jayco stand behind it? I am about 1 year out of warranty, and from what I understand there is no easy fix to this problem!!!

* This post was edited 05/27/11 09:53pm by yellow dog *

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to your Jayco dealer, ask him to contact Jayco with pictures of your issue. Jayco has been known to step up and do some amazing customer service.

It is in fact generally tied to a leak, clearance lights, seams, etc., and most RV manufacturers would fall back of the old "proper maintenance is the owners responsibility" adage.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Ram4Sam

Redlands, Calif

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjsurfer wrote:

Are you sure it's delamination? The reason I say that is if your Jayco is built like my Cougar the rear wall is not built like sides. It's not built as a one piece panel with aluminum framing, solid foam inserts and luan all pressed and glued, that design can be made to stay nice and flat. The rear wall on the other hand is not made that way it's a one piece panel but it's not glued and pressed to the framing it appears that they rely on just the outside rails and any windows and fixtures to hold it down flat.

So, after awhile you will see some waviness or slight bulging if you sideways down the rear panel.

Ron W.

I second this. My Thor Jazz is built this way. I also thought at first it was delamination but after a closer look at it, the back of my trailer is built just like Ron's. I bet your's in the same.

Sam

2014 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

kwinterb

Pensacola, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yellow dog wrote:

I have a 2008 Jayco Eagle 345BHS. I recently observed the rear exterior wall showing signs of delamination. It is about half way up on the passanger side. There doesn't appear to be a problem with water leaking behind the wall. Has anyone with a Jayco experinenced any type of delamination? What aggrevates me is that I spent about 2 years researching 5th wheels to avoid problems such as this. If anyone experienced this how did you handle it? Did Jayco stand behind it? I am about 1 year out of warranty, and from what I understand there is no easy fix to this problem!!!

Yicks, I hope you get that "easily" resolved if it really is an issue. I'll be watching to see. I've not spent two years researching, but I have spent a lot of time none the less, and Jayco is currently on my short list of possible units. Preferably the Pinnacle, but I may have to resolve myself to the Eagle, which I was thinking wouldn't be a bad thing.

'06 3500 CTD Sport 4WD DRW 48RE Exhaust Brake SRT-10 Hood; Ordrd 10/28/05;Dlvrd 1/25/06
'12 Cameo 36FWS; Ordrd 6/23/11;Dlvrd 9/16/11
www.kenanddeborahspics.shutterfly.com/231

Wife Deborah, since 87
Max, a boxer; Minnie Mi, a pug mix and three crazy cats

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it's delamination? The reason I say that is if your Jayco is built like my Cougar the rear wall is not built like sides. It's not built as a one piece panel with aluminum framing, solid foam inserts and luan all pressed and glued, that design can be made to stay nice and flat. The rear wall on the other hand is not made that way it's a one piece panel but it's not glued and pressed to the framing it appears that they rely on just the outside rails and any windows and fixtures to hold it down flat.

So, after awhile you will see some waviness or slight bulging if you sideways down the rear panel.

Ron W.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2008 Keystone Cougar 245RKS 5th Wheel
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2003 and I discovered some delam this past weekend. After pulling off the corner trim, my forensic investigation revealed that it started leaking around the second screw down from the roof. As water got in and started the luan swelling, it made the putty tape under the trim piece separate from the side wall.

As near as I could tell, the aluminum stud (tube) in the corner was part of the sidewall. The rear wall has some curvature to it. They screwed the outer skin of the rear wall to the corner stud in about 5 places, then put the corner trim over it. They relied on the fact that the screws go through the putty tape to keep it from leaking. Well it did for almost 8 years.

I tried as best I could to dry out the luan with a hair dryer. Then with my wife's help, I got some epoxy back in there and we put pieces of HVAC foil tape from sidewall to back wall to "clamp" it overnight. I only worked so so. If I had a better "clamping" arrangement, the repair of the delam would have turned out better.

Then I put eternabond tape over the corner. Jayco had tightened the screws on the trim so much, they almost pulled the screw heads through the trim. I clamped a hammer in my bench vise to use as a small anvil and used a brass bar and hammer to flat the metal around all of the screw holes. Then I drilled all new holes in the trim. I scraped all of the old putty tape off of the trim and cleaned it up with goo gone. Then I put new putty tape on the portion with the screw holes, but on the other part that would go up against the sidewall, I put Proflex RV caulk on it. Then I reinstalled the trim, drilling new holes into the corner stud through the new holes in the trim piece. I put Proflex in every screw hole. I then put a bead of Proflex on both edges of the trim piece and proceeded to make a mess trying to smooth it out. Note to self -- when trying to smooth out Proflex, you apparently need some soapy water.

On the portion of the trim piece that goes up over the roof about a foot, I sealed all of the edges with Dicor lap sealant. Then I put in new vinyl insert in the trim piece and added Dicor on the portions up on the roof so that water would not get under it on the horizontal parts of the trim.

This weekend I am doing a pre-emptive strike on the other corner. Then I am going to use Dicor where the rubber roof goes behind the gutters. I will also pull out the vinyl trim over the screws that hold all of the gutters on and put Proflex in all of the screw holes. When I replaced the insert on the trim on one of the front corners last weekend, I Proflexed all of those holes. Last year I had caulked both sided of the front corner trim pieces. I had also replaced the vinyl insert on the other front corner trim. I am going to pull the insert out this weekend and Proflex all of those screw holes.

Then there is the piece of trim at the top of the back wall that the rubber roof goes behind. I will pull the vinyl insert there, Proflex the screw holes, and seal where the rubber meets that trim with Dicor.

I will be Proflexing over 200 screw holes this weekend, running about 68' of Dicor bead, and about 20' of Proflex bead + 10' of Proflex inside of the one piece of corner trim.

ERS

jay5er

Livonia Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well here we go again, Yellowdog, this is not new for Jayco, I had a new 2005 325BHS that I found tennisball size delaminations on the door side. This unit was bought from Haus of trailers in White Lake Mich, they were great after making repairs under warranty we found more problems on the opposite side. Dealer contacted Jayco and at the end of camping season the trailor went back to the factory too have both walls replaced. Both my dealer and Jayco were GREAT don't be afraid to contact Jayco direct, if they treat yoiu like they treated us you will be very pleased. Good luck and stay safe

yellow dog

South Brunswick, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope to post some pics as soon as I can take some tomorrow. I also hope to get a hold of someone at Jayco and foward the pics. It appears that the rear wall is manufactured the same way as the side walls. The fiberglass seems to have seperated from the interior wall as I can press it and it pops back out. Someone following me on the highway also noticed it. So it can be seen from any angle and is very obvious.

yellow dog

South Brunswick, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/11 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just spoke to my dealer. They will be reaching out to Jayco early next week. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep everyone posted.

GM-Jayco36REQS

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would def like to see some pictures of this.. as I believe the back is one piece.

2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW/CC, 4x4, Duramax TD, Curt 20K, Trifecta Cover
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS, MOR/ryde pin

2003 SVT Cobra Convertible, 16 lbs boost, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, MGW Shifter, 18" Bullet Wheels, Toyo Proxies

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jayco delamination
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS