RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the life expectancy of a TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is the life expectancy of a TT?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
REDF350

MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize that you could keep throwing money at any unit and make it last 100 years. However, what is the generally accepted life expectancy of a well maintained mid-level TT? In other words when do the cost of repairs start exceeding the value of the unit to the degree that it's not worth it any more?

I know that there is no absolute correct answer for this, but I was curious what most folks thought.

2003 Coachmen Catalina 300 TBS
2006 Ford F350, 6.8L, V10, 4.10
Husky 1000 WD
Camco friction sway control
Prodigy BC
Wife, Four Children (22G, 19G, 17B, 11G)
One Labrador

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Within my area, EDPM roofs start to leak at 10 years. My TT's slide started to leak at year 5. At 15 years, majority of roofs leak. And at 20 years, their roofs need to be re-done. I've seen TTs 10 years old needing new roofs. Keeping an EDPM roof "treated" will make the roof last 5-10 years longer. Thus, "on average" treated roofs can make a TT's roof last 15-25 years. From a white board, treated EDPM makes no difference. But I've seen from my own eyes (for my specific region) that treating roofs every 6 months work. Just like applying treatment (polish) on shoes make them last longer as well.

In my woods, I refused to look at TT's older then 10 years - unless its an Airsteam or a TT with a brand new roof.

Note: Other regions have different timelines. Damp air is a killer. Over hot regions are hard on TT's age as well....

Hope this helps in your research...

* This post was last edited 05/30/11 06:47pm by batman99 *   View edit history

crazyhorse

peoria,az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maintance is key. untill you start having major appliance breakdown then you start asking if its worth having. just like a car. JMHO

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have thought about that also I still have my 1987 29' travel trailer. I have replaced the awning, water heater, potty and put in a regular refrigerator also new vent covers and new bottles and of course a set or two of tires over the years. I have even restuffed the sofa and taken out the dinette and put in regular chairs. It has been from Maine to Arizona and Texas and Florida many times over the years. I have thought about getting a newer one but as yet can not find one with all the storage I have in the old one. Unless the end of the world comes it will go back to Florida this fall. With good care it will last many more years. It has a metal roof and sides. We live in it six months of the year. The best part of it all it has been paid for many years. New does not make it better.

al

golphin

Ocala/Micanopy

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 1987 Scotty 28ft TT that I sold in 1997. It still looked like new and the roof was solid with no leaks. If someone took care of it there is no reason it would not be still going. The things that I would worry about on a older TT would be frame rust and water leaks. I guess frame welds and stress could also be a safety issue at some point. If the build quality was not there to start with many miles of travel could cause stress on the frame. I would think the Fridge would be the highest cost item to replace and most of the appliances would need to be replaced at some point just like the ones in your home.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guess that 20 years is a good round number....and I'm sure you'll get answers on either side of that.
Of course, it depends on maintenance and how the unit is stored. A TT that spends it's winters in a barn, or shed, will last longer than one that is out all year. The same would go for a car or truck.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

stepside454

st. Louis area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a 1973 Fan Lee- Liner.

smildrum

Durham,Maine

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stepside454- I just looked at your trailer- Love it. Very nice. Hope you enjoy it. I am sure I would. Not to hijack the thread, but, do you have more pics to post? Or do you have any somewhere else for us to view?

robbie69

wauconda, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 1st tt was a 78 hi-low fun finder that was 21 yrs old when i got it from the original owner. mint condition and everything worked. had a tin roof which personally i'll take over rubber any day. my next 2 were around the 10 yr mark and only real expense i had was a hydrolic slide pump. it all depends on PM-i've seen older units look show room new and newer units that look like****** personally i think the ones that get used are generally better maintained and the seldom used ones are the ones that fall apart-sits in a drive way/storage lot and a small problen goes un noticed till it's a major one.

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life expectancy of ANYTHING....who knows (including us)
Too many factors and unknowns.

I can assure you however that for an RV, it increases dramatically IF you store it in a shed/garage..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is the life expectancy of a TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS