RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Onan KY Generator Fuel Filter Change Question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan KY Generator Fuel Filter Change Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Rettrooper

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings,

I have a 2001 Onan KY mico quiet generator. I want to change the fuel filter on it an d replace it with a new one I have. Can this be accomplished without removing the generator from the motor home? I know where it's located but am having some difficulty trying to get a socket on it. Any advise would be a great help. I just don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance, Mark

2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

TEXAS

Centerville Tx

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just depends on how the idiots built the motor home around it.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an Onan Model 4KYFA26100K generator in our 2003 Minnie. You probably have the same model. It is an easy job to replace the fuel filter on this generator. In the picture below, you can see portions of the fuel pump and filter beyond and below the control board. The fuel pump is the item with the label on it and the filter is the gold item just beyond that.

To replace the filter, you will have to crawl under the MH and find the fuel line. Remove the rubber grommet that the line goes through, remove the clamp and pull the fuel line off. I used a piece of 1/4 inch dowel to plug the rubber fuel line to keep it from dripping gas. The barb fitting that is sticking out is the fuel filter. You will need a deep socket to remove the filter. I think it is a 9/16". The filter just unscrews from the pump suction. When you screw the new filter in, do it by hand to make sure you don't cross thread it. I had a leak after installing the filter and had to remove it and apply some plumber's pipe dope on the threads to stop the leak. I was careful to keep the dope away from the end threads to prevent any dope from getting into the pump. After installing the filter, reconnect the fuel line and you are good to go.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Rettrooper

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Driver, I have a 2001 Minnie and appreciate your response to my posting. I knew where it was located, put was concerned that I may not be able to slide the filter out of the area that the grommet protects. I am replacing the fuel filter as a trouble shooting measure. The generator has been giving me some problems in that it will run for about 1/2 an hour, surge and then shut off. Sounded like a fuel issue to me. It will prime so I know he pump is working (or at least I think so...I can hear it at least). Any suggestions?

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rettrooper,

I had the same problem with our generator. It would run for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour then surge and shutdown. I found that if I pressed the prime side of the start button after it shutdown there would be no pulsing sound from the fuel pump. Apparently the fuel pump was getting warm and seizing up. After waiting for 1/2 hour, the pump would work on prime again and the generator would rum for 10-15 minutes then quit again. I replaced the fuel pump and have had no further trouble.

It is necessary to remove the control board and solenoid above it in order to get the pump out. Make sure you disconnect the ground wire from your batteries and shoreline power before doing so.

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 4000 Micro-Quiet generator in our '03 toy hauler. On checking everything out for maintenance I couldn't see the fuel filter and still don't know how to change it. It doesn't matter. I cut the fuel line before it went up to the generator and installed an in-line, see through filter. Now I know how. Loosen two clamps, remove old filter, plug in new, and tighten two clamps. No skinned knuckles, no bad words needed. It's a half beer job... IMO..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Rettrooper

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/11 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to everyone especially Cloud Driver for helping me trouble shoot this genset problem. Jon your a god-send!

Rettrooper

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/11 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I got into changing out the fuel pump on my KY yesterday and what a Pain in the A$$ that was. I connected up an external gas can with a clear hose going to the new fuel filter and pump. Primed the new fuel pump for about 30 secs. and hit the start button. It started and then immediately shut off. This continued until I gave up. Anyone with some suggestions. I really don't want to try and remove the genset to take to Onan (or should I now call it my NOnan). I hope I'm not looking at a new mag. Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks, Mark

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan KY Generator Fuel Filter Change Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS