RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Anyone planning on downsizing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Anyone planning on downsizing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to save money, get rid of your "2009 GMC Canyon V8 4:10 Crew Cab Z71 Toad" and replace it with something that gets 30MPG and doesn't decrease your MPG my one gallon or more. Bet you put more miles on it each year than the MH. Do you really think it will get any better MPG pulling a trailer? We put more miles on the toad than the MH as we use the MH as our base camp to see the area.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It cost me $420 more for fuel Tampa to Yellowstone this year...trade the Dy for something smaller?? NO WAY!! Might be even less heading South, who knows?

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

popeyemth

owensboro ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crunch the #'s-you'll NEVER break even much less come out ahead to downsize for gas milage.

"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

StanleyandIris

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 mpg is pretty bad mileage, I must say. I agree that the loss you will take on the MH will buy a lot of fuel and therefore, selling it is a losing proposition. As for us, the rise in fuel costs does not deter us from doing what we want, which is to travel the US and Canada in luxury. We have to spend $100-$150 more for each fuel fill up, but it is budgeted into our travels. I would keep the MH and enjoy it while you can.

Iris

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say either get out completely or keep what you have. THe 35U is an excellent floorplan. Downsizing will no cut much of your current fuel costs.

6 mpg is very low for a 35U. You should easily be able to get 7+. I would remove that UltraPower Performance Programming ECM and return to the stock ECM. What mpg did you get before UltraPower 5?? Also, take out everything and put back in what you actually use. You may be surprised how much weight you save.

My 38R has averaged 7.07 mpg since new all stock. Now has 22,000 miles. And I have the W24 with 6.13 rear end and drive the Appalachians twice a year to and from FL.

Your decision.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

another thought, air you airing up the tires for comfort or mileage?

kd8wdave

Middletown,OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/11 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTZ6885 wrote:

I love camping, but with the price of fuel these days, I've been thinking of downsizing to a trailer. Currently $4.00 every 6 miles is getting rediculous and I don't see it getting better. Time to bail before the RV really loses value?

Thoughts?

It (the RV ) already has lost value. It started depreciating when it was built.!! The cost of the fuel is not the biggest cost, but I guess it does add up and jolts you a little. Others will tell you if you really sat down and figure it out, the fuel is not your highest cost.

cheers

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/11 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all the add on's to your MH. listed in your profile you will have a hard time recouping. Realize the losses you may take and apply them toward fuel. You have a nicely equipped RV now.
I do believe you can do better on mileage as suggested.
Just my opinion. Good luck to you on your decision.
Pogoil.

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/11 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're sticking with our 32 footer with no slides. Everything works and don't care to modify another coach to our tastes. Plus we've always gotten an average of 7-8+ mpg (10% ethanol does affect mileage along with wind).

SRT
2000 32' HR Vacationer with Banks
1998 Subaru Outback Ltd. 5 spd
Brake Buddy & Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
FMCA #266040 HRRVC #84109

danandjenrv

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a budget???? Decide on what you want to spend on gas and plan your trips accordingly.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Anyone planning on downsizing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS