RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: DPF kaput.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DPF kaput.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 48k error free miles, my DPF gave up the ghost while towing back from Memorial weekend. Only sign was the check engine light. No loss of power or other noticable signs. Dealer had me in and out in under 8 hours. New DPF, and a few exhaust sensors.

Mechanic did state that the DPFs do not last as long at altitude due to the fact that there is less O2 to burn junk off in the Cat before it gets to the DPF, plus towing heavy in the less dense air causes the system to run hotter leading to cracks in the DPFs.

Good info there. Very satisfied with how I was treated. Total bill to Dodge.....just over $1900.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good thing airplanes don't have them [emoticon]
That could get a bit expensive every 50k miles after the warranty is up.
Wonder how the DEF engines will do?

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's really going to suck when they start going out a 110,000 miles. [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why cold side EGR design which is accompanied by DEF NOX reduction is proving to be so successful. Far fewer EGR events, passive regeneration and less intrusive and less frequent active regenerations due to far less soot production.You mention hard running contributed to the demise of the DPF. In the new DEF equipped trucks, the higher exhaust temperatures are welcome. They are what creates passive DPF regenerations. Towing heavy, I have went over 800 miles without an active regeneration

I know, I know, the DEF system will need some maintenance down the road. The actual cost of this is undetermined as of yet. There are some 100,000 mile 2011's out there now and there has been no chatter about the DEF maintenance yet. Time will tell.

Good to hear yours was under warranty.

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

After 48k error free miles, my DPF gave up the ghost while towing back from Memorial weekend. Only sign was the check engine light. No loss of power or other noticable signs. Dealer had me in and out in under 8 hours. New DPF, and a few exhaust sensors.

Mechanic did state that the DPFs do not last as long at altitude due to the fact that there is less O2 to burn junk off in the Cat before it gets to the DPF, plus towing heavy in the less dense air causes the system to run hotter leading to cracks in the DPFs.

Good info there. Very satisfied with how I was treated. Total bill to Dodge.....just over $1900.

Mav

Yikes, that was not your cost was it? Warranty repair.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kinda sorta good to hear, as this is why I decided to NOT go diesel, stopped
reading up on diesel and decided to wait for a direct gasoline injection big block

Still a maybe for me would be an older non-DEF/DOC/DPF/Urea/etc truck

DEF, DPF, DOC, Urea, etc plus all the of the plumbing is all going to become the
norm for all diesels...unless they invent something whizzy bang

Part of the lore for diesel is/was the attainable million mile goal of yesterday
without major costs

Good luck and hope you find a way to stave off that $1,900 bill coming up around 100K miles

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Kinda sorta good to hear, as this is why I decided to NOT go diesel, stopped
reading up on diesel and decided to wait for a direct gasoline injection big block

Still a maybe for me would be an older non-DEF/DOC/DPF/Urea/etc truck

DEF, DPF, DOC, Urea, etc plus all the of the plumbing is all going to become the
norm for all diesels...unless they invent something whizzy bang

Part of the lore for diesel is/was the attainable million mile goal of yesterday
without major costs

Good luck and hope you find a way to stave off that $1,900 bill coming up around 100K miles

What is good to hear? Hopefully you are not celebrating your decision to go gas someday because a diesel owner had a warranty repair...

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOx Adsorber Catalyst is covered up to 8 years/80k miles under law.

Page 22

Thank goodness. [emoticon]

I have also heard that the design life of the DPF is 120k. Mine didn't make it. Could be the altitude and lack of dense air, could be other things. Had an issue with tail pipe soot and smoke about 10k miles ago. Took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong. Guess it was just a sign of things to come.

Mav

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

Page 22

I have also heard that the design life of the DPF is 120k. Mine didn't make it. Could be the altitude and lack of dense air, could be other things. Had an issue with tail pipe soot and smoke about 10k miles ago. Took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong. Guess it was just a sign of things to come.

Mav

The one good thing about the EPA. The federally mandated emissions stuff generally has the longest warranty of any component on a given vehicle.

summithmk

butt#$%$ egypt, NV

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

Page 22

Mav

When did you move to California?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DPF kaput.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS