RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Neglected 5th wheel....not used in 2 yrs.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Neglected 5th wheel....not used in 2 yrs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
loudgmc

Lodi, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're about to go on a week-long trip in our 32' 5th wheel, but haven't had it out of storage for 2 yrs! What steps should I take to make sure it's good to go for the trip?

2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2004 Weekend Warrior 3105

2oldman

Quincy WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tires and battery would be my first items.

rgraham

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take on a short trip for a night are two to check it all out , speaking of that mine has been parked besides the house for 2 years last fall, have moved it up in the driveway and cleaned it inside and out, new tires and new battery, sitting and not useing can be harder on a camper than using every day, so I been told,

Richard
1987 ford f250 6.9 diesel
1997 Innsbruck by Gulf Stream 28ft fifth wheel with slide
and the wife and co-pilot Trudy

tomlang

Los Angeles area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/11 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the burners and flues on the refrigerator, furnace, and water heater for nests and dirt.

Check the wheel bearings.

Check that the waste slide valves work. If the holding tanks dry out, the seals can stick.

Tom and Lynne
Tom is an Electronics Engineer, Lynne a retired teacher.
2003 Foretravel 38' U295

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the tires on your Chevy are almost in need of replacing I'd put them on your 04 trailer. If not go find some 245 takeoffs and put them on the trailer. I just did this for $140 mounted on the 5er my kids use. The eight year old takeoffs that were on it were getting pretty slick. Buy a new battery.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

4x4Bob

California.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV neglected for two years, around here they would turn loose a litter bug to make room to lock up someone who neglected a RV.

Just be careful when you start to clean it up. I killed 5 Black Widow Spiders and mine just sat over the winter.

My self I would pull the wheels and repack the wheel bearings if the unit sat that long. Having a bearing heat up and freeze would ruin your day.

Have a good trip.

Bob

2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

RichB

Duluth, MN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/11 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add checking the water lines and sanitizing to suggestions here. Finding a leak when you set up on a campsite is not fun < have experience.

Rich

05 Chev 2500HD DMAX
1999 Nomad 2655SE

Brent and Gina

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to do a dry run of all systems. Check the items needed to bring it home--tires, brakes, etc. Get 'er home. fill tanks with water and wait for valves to have some liquid on them, then test those. Flush lines out with city water first, then if all's well, work the pump. If that's good, turn on water heater and check. Check all faucets, levers, valves, slides, etc, etc, cautiously and fix whatever isn't working properly as you go. Check inside for water damage. Lubricate where lubrication needs to be done. Turn on fridge and check gas, then electric. Operate AC(s) to ensure they cool. Get the gist? You need to run full systems analysis and assume something may be wrong as you go. If you're unsure how to do it, break down the systems on paper and ask us each item independently or use the search area on this forum.

Good luck!

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When checking the tires make sure the valve stems are not cracked. If you kept the tires covered while stored you may not have a problem, but when just sitting for an extended period the valve stems could become brittle and leak.

I also agree with checking the bearings. Make an appt. with a tire store and have them check the tires, valve stems, bearings, and brakes. And everything all the other posters said.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

DonnaR57

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/11 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have just been through that, only our 5W had been sitting for 4 years. First thing we did was REPLACE the tires completely. We wouldn't even take it three blocks down the road first! Since the trailer was in storage 50 miles from the nearest tire store, it meant blocking up one side, removing both tires and the spare, taking them home to our tire store to be replaced, then repeating the process the next day for the other side.

When we plugged in to the truck: bad news. We could hardly see the lights. We inched home carefully, stopping 40 miles down the road when part of the skin of the slide decided to try to part company from the unit. Managed to tack that down (thanks to the help of a mobile RV guy with the right tools), and got home.

Come to find out that the lights weren't working because the converter had also given its life during the "down time". Once the converter got replaced, the lights etc worked well.

Another problem: the sink faucet's seal had rotted away. Fortunately we had anticipated that 4 years before, and the brand new faucet was sitting there in its box waiting to be installed. Needless to say, we asked our mechanic to please inspect the rubber from the NEW faucet - he said it was still factory new. What a relief!

Refrigerator - one always needs to make sure that works on both electricity and propane (ours was not a 3-way). Fire it up and see how she rolls.

I agree with the wheel packing and bearings suggestions. The only reason we didn't do that is because we were selling our unit once it was home and repaired.

Oh, another thing you could have - roof issues. Make a good roof inspection. And yet another one would be if any wood was exposed to air while the unit sat. We had to have our door rebuilt - the wood in the lower corner rotted away. The slide out, OTOH, managed to hang on.

This, btw, was a 1994 Fleetwood Wilderness 27'.

We're actually RV-less at the moment, but shopping for a truck camper. The kids have grown and it's time to downsize.

Donna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Neglected 5th wheel....not used in 2 yrs.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS