|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with tailgate down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

all tis internet geometry stuf boggles my mind. Hook that hog up and do some test turns.

It isn't just turns!!! go over a few dips in the road, and you may be in for a big suprise!! when you go into a dip, and the truck and trailer pivot, the jack will move towards the tailgate. Friend did that trick once, everything cleared on turns, first dip destroyed he jack, mashed the tailgate.!!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

raptor131 wrote:

Ok so I have the same issue I have a 91 gallon fuel tank in the bed and the golf cart will not fit with the tailgate up, but if it is down it will hit, so I was going to remove the tailgate but then it isn't resting completely on the bed, so not liking the setup, I might just remove the tongue jack and propane setup just for travel and once I get there reattach it, the golf cart is my dads that he is letting me use for this trip so I don't want to spend a lot of money to get it to fit. I could take the fuel tank out but I just filled it up because of price fluctuating. Any thoughts on doing this, seems pretty simple solution

Advice to a new forum member: Start a new thread with your question.

Now what you've done is confuse everyone into thinking this is a new thread, and they are responding to 9 month old posts.

If you want to go to the trouble of tearing off the jack and propane, by all means give it a shot. Have someone ride in the back while you give it a thorough test in an empty parking lot.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was a long bed. But the golf cart has a custom bumper up front and the foot-step in back. You don't need a bumper up front and the rear foot-steps come in flip-up models.

Like you said, measure.

By the way everyone. About a year after we took this pic, I got rid of the 4" lift kit on the cart for a 6" cart lift. With the tires, I was actually able to close the tailgate with the cart back there. The lift was high enough that the tailgate just barely fit underneath the floor for the rear seat. If you don't have a lift high enough on the cart, maybe you could put something underneath it to make it higher in the bed. Just high enough to close the tailgate entirely. Problem solved.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a pic with my '09 350 long bed. Note the tailgate is up and closed. The rear seat floor is just barely high enough to clear the tailgate.

This is what the cart looks like now. Why not buy this one?

passport2590bh

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Advice to a new forum member: Start a new thread with your question.

Now what you've done is confuse everyone into thinking this is a new thread, and they are responding to 9 month old posts.

Actually glad this was brought back to the top. Fun read. Curious to know how it went for the original poster. That is a lot of weight on back of a Tundra.

2006 5.7L Ram 1500 Hemi Mega Cab
2011 Keystone Passport 2590bh GT

GHinson

Tuscaloosa, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

I've posted about this in another thread. I found these old pics when I was explaining this concept to someone years ago. Doing it like this worked well. Round trip mileage to Disney was over 1200 miles and no problems. Not to mention other trips when this was our tow vehicle.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I can't tell for certain from the pictures, but that looks like maybe a long bed. Mine is a short bed crew 250, so (and I have to admit I haven't measured anything yet) I'm afraid the tires would have to sit on the tailgate itself, keeping me from lifting it any. I'm dying here, because my wife says I can buy a golf cart. I'm a hunter, so of course, I heard her say I can buy a bad boy buggy. Problem is, it's 112" long and for the life of me I can't figure out how to carry it with the camper. I'd probably be in trouble if I bought one and couldn't haul with the camper. I really have to figure something out here. Instead of rambling further, I'll ask a question. Can anyone tell for certain if the truck in this picture is long or short bed? I know, I know, I should just go measure. I'm being lazy.

2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite 304BHK (for the wife and daughter)
1986 Holiday Rambler AlumiLite TT (for me and the boys)
2010 F250 Crew FX4 (for me!)

passport2590bh

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw another post a while back where the guy put a 5th wheel tail gate on truck that allowed the tail gate to be left down, provides support for golf cart, and did not hit the jack or propane tanks.

* This post was edited 03/07/12 10:09am by passport2590bh *

GHinson

Tuscaloosa, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 6.5' bed, so even with the lift I'm in trouble. I think my only chance will be if all 4 wheels can sit in the short bed and I'd just have to remove the tailgate. Not the best option since I use a little clamp on my tailgate to help prevent theft and I'd have to remove it every time I take the tailgate off (a pain). I wonder what the odds are that I can convince the wife I need a new truck with an 8' bed along with the cart. I saw another thread earlier that discussed sleeping in the truck. I'd better read that one before I bring it up with her. I doubt she'd let me in the camper or the house.

GHinson

Tuscaloosa, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great idea and it just might work for me. I'd have never thought of it. Thanks!

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw some fancy carrier for UTVs that put the golf cart actually above the bed. Probably expensive, but neat idea.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing with tailgate down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS