|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Large Motor Home and small gold mining shovel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rexabbot

Cumming GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do these things have in common you ask?

Answer: The small one got the big one unstuck on top of a moutain!

We we traveling over the moutain to Tellico Plains Tn this past weekend. While pulling the toad up the mountain several cars got behind me. I thought I would be nice. (If you knew me you would know how unusual that is!) I saw a old garage with a large gravel area large enough to pull off easily on the left side of the road.
As I pulled off, I was traveling parallel to the ashphalt, the MH dropped down on the passenger side front and rocked up pretty good. I continued slowly forward trying to figure out what that was and then I stopped moving forward. I got out and the saw the passenger rear duals were buried to the frame. It had rained a lot and water washed under the road. Someone must have filled it back in recently and the dirt and gravel was very soft and I sunk.
I was worried about damage to the back of the MH. I unhooked the toad. I then pulled forward just until the tires started to spin and put on the parking brake. I didn't have anything but a pry bar, so we used that to start pushing dirt and gravel in the hole behind the wheel.
About that time a good samaritan fellow camper came to our rescue. First he tried to pull his pick-up truck in front with the intention of pulling me out. There is no where to hook on my MH to pull. So then he got out his "gold mining" shovel - yes they look for gold in the rivers - and started digging in front of the duals. A few minutes of digging and I tried getting out again. I rolled back then went forward a couple of times and I was out!
I thought for sure I would have to call Coachnet.
Then he told me he was staying at the KOA at the bottom of the mountain approx 7 miles. Said they were going back and would lead me there. We needed a place to stay after that ordeal.
On the way down the mountain my air pressure built to 150 psi and the gauge stopped. It wasn't bleeding off air. I worked the brake all the way down the mountain to let off air.
Long story long, the next day the air worked fine. Another knowledgable camper, told me "Driver! - it was probably just a piece of dirt and it worked it's way out of the system. No more problems since.
So we got an exciting start to our Memorial Weekend.
P.S. I now own a small shovel!

jwmII

out west

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time leave the shovel in storage and call Coach Net. Prevent a heart attack. A lot of folks are stricken when digging themselves out of a stuck situation.

jwmII

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/11 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Hey rexabbot. So you think you are still young enought that your not worried about that, Correct. Better think again. People do think "Heart Attacks" and Older People just go together. You better change your way of thinking. As even very young people can and do have Heart Attacks, and have and do die from them. Trust me, your never to young. Even though the odds are in your favor. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

rexabbot

Cumming GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/11 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jwmII wrote:

Next time leave the shovel in storage and call Coach Net. Prevent a heart attack. A lot of folks are stricken when digging themselves out of a stuck situation.

The good news is, I am still young enough that I am not worried about that.
Still would rather do it myself. Especially instead of waiting for 3 or 4 hours for a wrecker to reach me. I was in the mountains in TN. I need a very big wrecker to pull me. It was only 30-45 mins to get myself out.

restorodder

Pinckney Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/11 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to dig my pickup out of a snowbank,is what prompted me to buy a class A MH,and become a snowbird. Cold air and,or exertion gives me chest pains.

2008 Newmar Canyon Star - 2007 Dodge Dakota Toad - Ready Brute tow bar & brake system - one cat - Sassy 14

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/11 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, that's right, let the CoachNet guy have the heart attack.

I am very familiar with that area and used to own several acres that had a few gold mines, and a cabin, in Coker Creek, TN. It was not surprising to me that someone stopped to help. That is what people do in that area of TN. Nice folks and beautiful scenery. Glad everything worked out OK.

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/11 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lesson learned.

Don't be a nice guy, it could be hazardous to your life.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/11 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it hard to believe how many people are afraid of doing a little work. I had a heart attack followed by 6 way bypass and it happened doing nothing. You know when you are over doing it.

2006 Mandalay 40G
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

rexabbot

Cumming GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/11 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbmowrey wrote:

I find it hard to believe how many people are afraid of doing a little work. I had a heart attack followed by 6 way bypass and it happened doing nothing. You know when you are over doing it.

I agree. I don't know how you are suppose to do anything if you can't do a little work. Last night I change my oil filter and coolant filter. I work on a block drain A/C line on my TOAD. I suprised I can still write this today.

Why do they make shovels? They should ban them.

Mody n Domy

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/11 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why could you not use the leveling jacks after you block the front tires to stop MH from rolling? Then you could have lifted it and then filled under the tires with gravel and hopefully moved on. As far as heart attacks go my wife has had two one at age 38 (1992)and a second at age 42(1996). The first one the doctor told me he didn't know what caused it. The second one they found the arteries around her heart were contracting not letting the heart work. Fortunately She is ok now just takes a lot of medication. So don't kid yourself about being to young to have a heart attack!!

2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Large Motor Home and small gold mining shovel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS