RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tire choices w/split sidewalls on new chevy 2500?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tire choices w/split sidewalls on new chevy 2500?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still Searchin' wrote:

Just hooked up truck to trailer for first RV trip this summer and noticed I had two sidewall splits/cracks in the factory installed Bridgstone Duravis M700 tires (LT265/70R17) which only had 16k miles on them. Bummer!

In 2008 Consumer Reports tested All Season SUV tires, and the three I'm considering are Michelin LTX MS2, Hankook DynaPro AT, and maybe Sears General AmeriTrac SUV based on their tests.

Anybody had experience with any of these tires?

Secondly, anybody had any luck ignoring sidewall cracks that did not go as deep as the belts (maybe 1/8")?? Just don't understand how they could crack with such little usage, & with truck stored inside the garage.

(Did take truck & trailer to AZ this winter for 3 months!)

My LTX-MS LT265/75R16E's cracked on the sidewalls.

Came out one morning to find one of the flat and wouldn't hold air

To me, you are making a risk management decision on whether they will leak or not
but I'll say they will leak and the gamble is when/where they will leak...

http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fus........d/23898044/gotomsg/23899704.cfm#23899704

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my previous truck I took it to Firestone with roughly 10k on the tires. They all were cracking even though it was stored inside and no abusive products were used on them. They told me to go to the dealer, then they tried T to play the cracks are cosmetic....my response was are you willing to pay for a lawsuit should they fail because you told me they were only cosmetic? So after a few more exchanges of pleasantries they prorated them for me. I ended up w/ the Revos (1/2 ton) and they still had lots of tread left after 75k+ miles. I did try to get the money so I could get tires elsewhere but no go...

04' Chevy Silverado 2500HD 496 cu in - Allison
'06 Keystone Cougar 304BH
1 Honda eu2000i generator
Drawtight Activator
Huskey Weight Distribution System
1 Spazzed Weimaraner

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just replaced our BFG TA Commercials for 6 michelin LTX MS/2. Nothing I could see wrong on the rubber on the BFG but the tread was getting thin for towing. Not knowing everything about tires except your tires would be off my truck in a heart beat. I don't mess around with tires.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carwheel_09 wrote:

How many miles did you get out of those BFG Commercial TA's. I replaced all of the tires on my rig to them. They are at an excellent price point. Truck will be next.

38000 to 40000. Not worn out but we park in gravel for 6 months and the tread is tight so little rock collect and the friend that has the tires that we just bought had very minor amount of rocks collecting in the tires. BFG TA Commercials are a very good steering tire and I almost bought them again but for the reason above we didn't. All 6 tires looked great but as I said I don't mess around with tires. 22,920 combined weight.
chevman

crashpilot

Green River, WY

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been a Goodyear guy for LOTS of years but when I needed tires this last time I was in a pinch and needed a lower pricepoint tire. The tire guy told me they've had really good luck with the Hankooks so I bought a set of the DynaPro ATs. It has been a year and I've been VERY pleased with them. Even if I can afford the Goodyears, most likely the next set of tires I purchase will be Hankook.

Straight Board -
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
2008 Chevy 4X4 Z71 Crew Cab K2500HD LTZ Duramax/Allison
2005 Jayco JayFlight 31BHDS
2007 Kawasaki BF 650 4X4i Camo (mine)
2007 Polaris X2 500 EFI Deluxe (hers)
The mountains of Wyoming as my backyard.

carwheel_09

traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many miles did you get out of those BFG Commercial TA's. I replaced all of the tires on my rig to them. They are at an excellent price point. Truck will be next.

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Michelins cracked at 16 months. I replaced them with BFG Rugged Terrain CLICK and I had to pay 10% for the new tires. Around $100 out the door. Of course since it was a warranty replacement the late great state of Michigan demands I pay sales tax on the full retail price for 4 tires.

The Rugged Terrain is a brand new design that just came out in May. I figure I'll be the guinea pig. I'll write a report on the tires after our trip out west.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."
Daniel Boone

Sluggo54

Madison, SD/Livermore, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2005 Chev 3/4 came with Bridgestone M770, I think it was. They were replaced with Firestone Transforce HT. Those yielded to Michelin LTX MS. Current residents on my wheels are Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S GO53. I noticed minimal differences in their performance. I had hoped the spendy Michelins would last longer. They didn't. All ran 29K to 33K before being too low on tread for my taste. The Yokos are too new to evaluate for wear. They hum a bit on some pavements, but not distractingly so. The Firestones were the quietest, best balanced - and the least expensive. They were $565 the set; the Michelins were $983. Certainly not enough difference to justify the price.

Sluggo

DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Blue Heeler - Wire Haired Terrorist)
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a 2010 Chevy2500HD with the Duravis M700 tires (also 17 inch. Bought the truck new in April 2010, currently have almost 30,000 miles on it. The tires look like new and nary a crack. I will buy the same tires when these wear out.

Sundowner

2010 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, crew, std bed, 4x4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325rkts (approx 12000 miles towed in past yer.)

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

46,000 on my Bridstone Duravis's when I traded. Would have been good for quite a few more miles, which is pretty good service on a 4x4. I was satisfied with them.
This truck came with Michelins, which ride fine. Not enough miles or winter use to report on them yet though.

'11 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4
3455SA Montana

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tire choices w/split sidewalls on new chevy 2500?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS