RV.Net Open Roads Forum: can you ever get rid of smoke smell?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> can you ever get rid of smoke smell?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rdalcanto

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm between flights on my way to buy my new coach. My biggest fear right now is that there will be a cigarette smoke smell in the coach. The seller says he has never smoked in it, but admitted to being a light smoker. If there is an odor, will it eventually disappear if the windows are open in storage with a fan running after 6 months? 12 months?

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to cigarette smoke -- absolutely not.

You can mask it, make it temporarily go away, use various treatments -- but NONE of it works permanently.

On a nice, hot, humid day those that 'think' they've solved the problem realize real quick they haven't (unless by then their sense of smell is totally shot!)

Take it from a long-time car dealer, if it smells of smoke now, it always will (to some degree).

Ramsey,Jack

Whitecourt

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And while we are on the subject: What about camp fire smoke smell? We do a lot of sitting around the camp fire and over time the MH smells of smoke. We tried leaving the window open for long periods of time but it still has a slight smell. We burn candles and that does help a lot but just can't seem to find something to get the smell out completely.

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdalcanto, in my opinion, it is very difficult to get rid of the cigarette smoke smell. Mainly I'm speaking of rental cars, etc. Once the sun heats up the car, it's awful. I've never smoked and I'm very sensitive to that terrible smell.

It would be a deal breaker for me. But, if everything is cleaned in the coach and if it was only smoked in once or twice, it might be OK. The problem is once the smoke is circulated through the dash air, it's there to stay. I can spot that smeall a mile away.

Hope the coach works out for you!

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Coach (arriving soon)

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting rid of most any odor, especially smoke, is a piece of cake, once the source is removed. Contractors that deal with fire restorations do it all of the time.
Go to any large rental house and pick up an OZONE generator. Put that in the coach for a day or so and it will rid it of any odors, including smoke, mold, pet odor, and mildew smells.
Most dealers will already do this step before they put a unit up for sale. Do you really believe the salesman when he says no pets or smokers on a used coach?

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a sailboat from a live aboard smoker once, reaked,
had to reupholster and refinish all teak, super clean all surfaces, that did it , it was a ton of work

RV smoker would be a dealbreaker for me, too much work, unless it was priced to do the above

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cig smoke is tough to get rid of. If he was a LIGHT smoker (really) and if he is fudging the truth and really did occasionally smoke in the Coach, (Very lightly) you can do wonders by using upholstery cleaners, carpet cleaners etc.

The smell will NEVER go away completely but you can improve it by 95%.

I once bought a car from an elderly woman that smelled like she smoked 20 packs a day for 20 years in the car. I nearly gagged the first time I went in it.

Anyway we steam cleaned it several times and did it to all the seats and carpet. We bough air fresheners, and used things like fabreeze on the seats. Anyway it REALLY helped the smell.

A month later we steam cleaned it again. Always parked it with a window down for 2 months.

The smell REALLY went away. (oh yeah we cleaned the headliner too). The only time you would ever smell it was very briefly when you'd use the heater after a long summer season.

I imagine an RV could be different. But with some good cleaning and perhaps a new mattress, you can make it way better.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

You didn't use it long enough then. As a contractor, I have permanently removed smoke smells from commercial buildings many many times. Since smoking was banned in most commercial buildings, a lot of them wanted the building odor free. If it did not work, every older building that you go into would still smell of cigerette smoke. What can I say, sometimes I guess you need an expert to do the job right.

Big difference between a commercial building and a little RV, don't you think?

Buildings don't have all the nooks and crannies that RV's do, nor do they have the interior temperature extremes experienced with an RV, plus just re-painting the walls in any building can make a huge difference -- something that's just not done in an RV.

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/11 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Getting rid of most any odor, especially smoke, is a piece of cake, once the source is removed. Contractors that deal with fire restorations do it all of the time.
Go to any large rental house and pick up an OZONE generator. Put that in the coach for a day or so and it will rid it of any odors, including smoke, mold, pet odor, and mildew smells.
Most dealers will already do this step before they put a unit up for sale. Do you really believe the salesman when he says no pets or smokers on a used coach?

Tried this MANY times in vehicles, and it works for a while, but not permanently. Once it gets into all the ductwork, wiring, insulation, wood framing, flooring, and cabinetry of such a small space, and factoring in the extreme interior heat/cold extremes (not common to a house)-- it doesn't work.

If you want to get the stink out of one just long enough to try to sell it, however, this may be your answer.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/11 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't use it long enough then. As a contractor, I have permanently removed smoke smells from commercial buildings many many times. Since smoking was banned in most commercial buildings, a lot of them wanted the building odor free. If it did not work, every older building that you go into would still smell of cigerette smoke. What can I say, sometimes I guess you need an expert to do the job right.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> can you ever get rid of smoke smell?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS