|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Demco Aluminator tow Bar Not Locking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
armadillo 17

Pineville Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/11 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a Demco Aluminator Tow Bar over the winter. On my last trip I had problems getting the tow bar to 'lock' in the extended position. Allowing the Jeep to run up to the back of motorhome. Managed to force it to 'lock' going up a steep slope, applying the jeep brakes, while pulling with the motorhome. Any one else having this sort of problem, and what is the solution?

Jon in S/W Missouri
2002 Damon Daybreak 2750, Workhorse with 8.1 L
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

BaldyD1

Central Florida area

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/11 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the Demco Aluminator and have never had a problem locking. There have been times where we had to pull the MH forward for both sides to lock, but, have never had a "no lock" situation.

Speedy, Jackie & Dusty {Shih-Tzu/Maltese}
2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3912
2005 Saturn Vue (dinghy)

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/11 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a little silicone spray might help. Mine is a remanufactured one after one of the arms broke off between Tok and Glennallen several years ago. Since then, I give it a shot one a year or so.

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/11 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not specifically familiar with your tow bar. However, I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning everything, and applying liberal amounts of anti-sieze compound to every part associated with the locking mechanism.

Vet Man

Ct. & Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/11 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the factory they will send you a new and improved locking latch, demco knows about it. You can fix yourself or they sent the parts to a local dealer and they installed while I waited. Mine was a steel tow bar, from Demco.

2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2010 ZR1 Colorado Toad
2013 Honda 150 PCX Scooter
2013 Corvette Convertible Grand Sport

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

reyvanisle

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted Demco and they suggested I send it to them for overhaul. I was on the road and live in Canada so it is/was not practical. Usually one side latches and to latch the other side I would steer the motorhome in the direction of the unlatched bar and the overhang of the motorhome would swing out and latch the bar and before travel I check to see if both green stripes are showing.

penderray

Pender Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strange how you get different info according to who you speak to. Having experienced this 'non locking' problem for 12 months I called Demco, the chap said he was unaware of any problems, so couldn't offer any help, he did say the guys at Quartzsite would gladly service the kit if I took it to them. He was correct there and they too were unaware of the problem. The rep did suggest liberal use of Silicone spray after thorough cleaning. I followed his advise and so far so good, 5 hook ups. Can't help wondering why they have changed their design completely though.

OldF**t

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/11 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

I'm not specifically familiar with your tow bar. However, I would recommend taking it apart, cleaning everything, and applying liberal amounts of anti-seize compound to every part associated with the locking mechanism.

Standard procedure for Demco on older bars that don't have the rubber bellows on the latches to keep the dirt out.

Jim

2004 Hurricane 32R (F53)
Demco Excalibar
2010 Ford Ranger 4X4
2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri
1 wife and 6 cats

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Demco Aluminator tow Bar Not Locking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts