RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Norcold Refrigerator Vent Fan Install with Switch (pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Norcold Refrigerator Vent Fan Install with Switch (pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ElPasoTom

El Paso, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/11 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also see inside fan mod if you're interested.

Inside Fan Mod Clicky

With temps in El Paso over 102 again today I realize my refrigerator is struggling to maintain temperature. Mid-day temps showing 42-43 inside the fridge. I prefer 36-38 so I thought I'd put a little fan behind the fridge to help move things along.

I've seen fans designed for this purpose but I wanted a less expensive solution, and besides the space back there is tight and I didn't want to move anything.

Parts for this job

Trying to find the ideal place was difficult but I chose a location that was easy, allowed for simple install and was easy to service later.

I wanted to be able to switch the fan off when the temps were lower so I needed a place for the switch. I mounted a piece of scrap wood and screwed in the switch mount.

Now for all the wiring. I searched the internet for hours looking for best way to wire this as I am not electrically gifted..... at all. I saw the package the switch came in and it looked pretty basic so I gave it a try.

Hooked up the hot (with a 1/2 amp fuse from Radio Shack). Load connector went to the fan red wire. The fan blue wire went to the switch ground and to the ground in the rear panel. Held my breath and clicked the switch... it works!

Now to mount the switch and make the connections permanent.

I will have more data tomorrow but the fridge began cooling down quickly and I've set it for "3" instead of "4" so we'll see if the temps hold 38 deg on a lower power setting since tomorrow will be over 100 again.

Hope this mod helps someone else tackle some wiring. Nothing fancy but it moves air and that's all I wanted.

2014 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2008 Suburban 2500 LT 4x4
2009 KZ Spree 289KS

CISCO8325

Peoria,az.

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

like it

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did that to mine only yours looks far better than my install. esp the switch holder

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a nice job.

After I installed ours I read where you need to extend a duct like shield above/below the fan a few inches so exiting air flow does not in part get sucked back in on the intake side. In your case you could test it really easy.

GENECOP

NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, it helps, I will be going for it any day now....

ElPasoTom

El Paso, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link to Switch

The switch I used.

Link to fuse holder

The fuse holder.

I also bought a package of (4) 1/2 amp fuses.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job ElPasoTom,
Just a quick question; what's the idea behind this mod? Is it to push the air "up" through the roof vent, and thereby increase efficiency?

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ElPasoTom

El Paso, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Nice job ElPasoTom,
Just a quick question; what's the idea behind this mod? Is it to push the air "up" through the roof vent, and thereby increase efficiency?

These refrigerators remove heat by absorbing it through fins inside the refrigerator, then release it behind the refrigerator in the space between the fridge and the wall of the trailer.

Convection should bring in cooler air from below and "chimney" the warmer air out of the roof vent. As the temperature rises from ambient air, then the difference between the incoming air and air inside the vent space shrinks and you lose the "convective" movement.

A fan is supposed to help move that warmer air up and out of the vent helping retore some efficiency to the fridge in warmer temps.

At least this is how I understand it.

ElPasoTom

El Paso, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

That is a nice job.

After I installed ours I read where you need to extend a duct like shield above/below the fan a few inches so exiting air flow does not in part get sucked back in on the intake side. In your case you could test it really easy.

I saw this with other fans, but I don't really have the space. Even with the inefficiency hot air rises, and all I hope to do is give it a little push.

Depending on how this performs I may also later add the solar powered fan for the top of the vent area. I don't plan on camping in the really hot areas if I can help it. I'm out of here Tuesday for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone where I probably won't need the fan at all.

ElPasoTom

El Paso, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TEMP Update!

This morning the refrigerator was 37.2 degrees on setting 3 out of 5. It's 75 degrees at 6AM going to 105 deg this afternoon. I do not think the fridge can keep up with these extreme temps so I may have to go to 4 or 5 to keep temps down, however using 3 instead of my usual 4 is an improvement.

I also have to realize a gas absorption refrigerator can only do so much.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Norcold Refrigerator Vent Fan Install with Switch (pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS