|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie question re full hookups

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
katandzach

NW Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
We're totally new to RVing and have a question. When you are fortunate to have a sewer connection at your site, should you keep ALL the tank values open or only the black water tank value? And are the graduated sewer hose holders that you stick in the ground necessary or a big pain?

Thanks to any inspiration on this lovely subject.

Kat and Zach
2012 Wildcat Sterling
Newly retired and ready to go!

GENECOP

NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All valves closed till you relatively full, empty the black first, then flush out the hose with the grey water, close valves and do it again...the step down guides are helpful IMO...

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep both black tank and grey tank CLOSED until you are ready to dump. Leave them open, and you will get a large build up of solids in the black tank and can have a mess, if you get my meaning. The black tank is dumped first, then the grey so the grey water will rinse your stinky slinky, and yes it is better to have the attachment so that the hose stay put in the sewer drain so as to avoid smells and, heaven forbid, the hose should come out of the drain. Happy camping and keep asking questions as it sounds like you could use some advice.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on valves closed. If not, the water flows and leaves the solids behind creating a mound of concrete.
We use the hose support from Camping World that has three parts that connect together and slide out depending on the distance from the sewer outlet to the campground sewer. Can't think of the name right now.
Because the black tank takes so long to fill we dump the used dishwater into the toilet. The Dawn in the suds helps keep the sensors clean.
Search this site for more info.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

wntrtxn

Hubbard,OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always kept the gray water valve open and the black water tank closed until the black tank gets about 2/3 full, or when we're ready to move.
I'll usually close the gray tank valve the night before we're going to depart to let it fill up a little, that way I can dump the black tank first, flush it with the internal flushers (if you have that feature), and then dump the gray water tank to flush out the sewer hose.

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tbraeunig wrote:

I've always kept the gray water valve open and the black water tank closed until the black tank gets about 2/3 full, or when we're ready to move.
I'll usually close the gray tank valve the night before we're going to depart to let it fill up a little, that way I can dump the black tank first, flush it with the internal flushers (if you have that feature), and then dump the gray water tank to flush out the sewer hose.

X2, also yep! Those "stepped" connectors work very well to keep odors away and keep the hose in place. Could be a disaster if you're dumping and it comes loose, YUK!

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

odie1234

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One consideration for you. If you are going to stay in one place for a longer period - more than a week or so, consider putting your stinky slinky out only to dump. Through the years we have lost a couple of hoses from tears that I believe were caused by careless workers with weed whackers. Couldn't be proved, of course, but since we put the hose out only when dumping they seem to last a lot longer (limited sun exposure) and none of them have torn.

Whatever you decide you will need a way to slope the hose to the sewer. Many sewer connections are several inches above ground. The collapsible supports are a pain, but I use some plastic gutter (cut into 2 feet sections) as slinky supports on top of the collapsible supports. Works well for us. Have fun.

2007 35TSB Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED
2007 Honda CR-V

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some places or camp grounds the step down things are mandatory you will be required to buy one or leave the camp grounds.

big dave

Soldotna, Alaska, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ramp for the hose is usually used for long stays at one location, not worth the effort if you'll only dump there once or twice (IMHO).

Dave & Rose C
90 Safari Ivory 34' DP
04 Saturn VUE V6

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

some places or camp grounds the step down things are mandatory you will be required to buy one or leave the camp grounds.

Really????? I've never heard that or seen it campgrounds I have been. Hmmm?

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Newbie question re full hookups
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: