RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK,
Try to keep it clean, but I have a stink problem. Well, at least the black tank/toilet has an issue. Whenever I flush, a gush of sewer stink results. Never had this problem before. I have a 360 on the vent. It has been 90-100 degrees the past couple of weeks - maybe the tank is just real ripe??? I think I read somewhere that there could be a problem with the vent itself? What? And how do you resolve a vent problem? I will dump at my next cg (tomorrow) - I always do a thorough flush of the black tank. I don't want to dump at my present cg, near Charleston - the water smells like rotten eggs - don't need that on top of sewer stink!!!!!!!!!!!!! So any suggestions to get rid of "peppie la pew"???

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

odie1234

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can get a shot of smelly when the tank is near the dump point. In fact that is many times our warning that the "dump me now" burp will soon follow. One thing we learned the hard way was that when flushing make certain that the ceiling vent is off so that you are not sucking odors out. Another is to close the lid when flushing. Filling the bowl with water before flushing seems to help minimize flushing odors. A cup or so of bleach in the tank will kill bacteria and odors, but you will lose any digestion going on. We tried a double dose of deodorant chemicals once and ended up with a shot of awful smelling deodorant odor. IMO the best thing to do is dump the tank.

2007 35TSB Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED
2007 Honda CR-V

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klm wrote:

OK,
Try to keep it clean, but I have a stink problem. Well, at least the black tank/toilet has an issue. Whenever I flush, a gush of sewer stink results. Never had this problem before. I have a 360 on the vent. It has been 90-100 degrees the past couple of weeks - maybe the tank is just real ripe??? I think I read somewhere that there could be a problem with the vent itself? What? And how do you resolve a vent problem? I will dump at my next cg (tomorrow) - I always do a thorough flush of the black tank. I don't want to dump at my present cg, near Charleston - the water smells like rotten eggs - don't need that on top of sewer stink!!!!!!!!!!!!! So any suggestions to get rid of "peppie la pew"???

what does dumping and flushing your tank have to do with water quaility?Its not like your filling your water tank etc??If its full I would be dumping and flushing right now
Also to note are you putting in adaquate sewage treatment liquid?
that has to be put in every time after dumping
Plus if your tanks near full u will get a wiff of it for sure.
Make double sure your Black tank vent is clear and working properly

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klm wrote:

OK,

Sani Flush.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

odie1234 wrote:

We can get a shot of smelly when the tank is near the dump point. In fact that is many times our warning that the "dump me now" burp will soon follow. One thing we learned the hard way was that when flushing make certain that the ceiling vent is off so that you are not sucking odors out. Another is to close the lid when flushing.

X2

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a posability the vent is blocked. Remove the vent cap and run something like a hose down to clear any obstruction. had wasps build a nest in ours.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How full is the black tank??

Your vent tube could be below the level in the tank so no venting takes place.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about campa chem. They sell it at Walmart, camping world, etc.. When we dump we immediately add campa chem in the empty tank with a little water. We have never had a smell issue in any RV we have ever owned.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

could be a number of reasons the smell is coming on just now. the temp, blocked vent, the water has got to play a roil in this with the smell already. sounds like well water with a lot of sulfur in it. do you have a fan going in the bathroom when you flush? that also brings out the beastly smell. the cure is dump asap and clean it out real good

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op here. No open vent, but the ac's have been runnig 24/7 and the rear unit is above bathroom. Don't know if that is relevent to the stink.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS