RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klm wrote:

OK,
I don't want to dump at my present cg, near Charleston - the water smells like rotten eggs - don't need that on top of sewer stink!!!!!!!!!!!!! So any suggestions to get rid of "peppie la pew"???

I also think your black water level is above the vent opening. If it were me, I'd dump now, put some of that stinky rotten egg water into the black tank to keep things wet, and then dump/flush again at the next campground. If you don't want the rotten egg water in your fresh water system, you can pour a couple of gallons into the toilet with a bucket that you fill outside.

I hope you get the problem resolved.
Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the air conditioners are running steady, is there a possibility that the exhaust from the air conditioner is blowing over or down the vent pipe and driving the air back into the toilet when flushing? You might check the proximity of the vent pipes to the air conditioner exhaust. Just another possibility to check. Happy Trails Bert

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/11 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you dump, are you opening black first, then opening gray to flush things out once black is done?
That's the most common method.
If that's the way you're doing it, it's the only time that the gray valve and the black valve are both open. With that situation, if you have ANY trap that has dried out, it will allow gas from the campground septic system to flow back into your coach through the vent that has the dried out empty trap.
As mentioned by pacific sun, check washer dryer trap, shower trap and all sink traps. With an empty trap, the only time you wlll get odors is when you're connected to a sewer hookup and both valves are open.
All it takes is one. When we set up, one of the things on our checklist is to run water through every drain, which is shower and 3 sinks for us, because the traps dry out while sitting in our driveway.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

sum1

So-Cal

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/11 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Old Guy suggested. Make sure the fan is off when you flush.

* This post was edited 06/22/11 05:39am by an administrator/moderator *

pacific-sun

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a washer/dryer combo unit try running a cycle through to fill the "P" trap for them. If they are not used often they will dry out..
Dave.

1998 38ft Beaver Contessa DP 1 slide 330 Cat.
2002 Saturn L300 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE

john and terry

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

odie1234 wrote:

A cup or so of bleach in the tank will kill bacteria and odors, but you will lose any digestion going on.

Again I say, you have no digestion going on anyway. Black tanks are holding tanks...not digesters. Digestion additives are a scam.

Unless you monitor dissolved oxygen levels, Biochemical Oxygen Demand levels, floc settling, dissolved solids levels, pH levels, treatment bacteria condition and such...you have no business even thinking about digestion. Lack of digestion is NOT your problem!!

Go with the bleach addition to clean water after a good dump and flush.

Full Timing In Our 1996 Winnebago Brave (P30/454)
...Check Out Our Gate Guarding Blog HERE!
TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
With 2 Fairly Well Behaved Diggities
Venus And Midnight

Paul Turpin

Surprise,Arizona / Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just clean your tank out. Just before you leave the campground, flush out your black tank with water several times (fill it ALMOST to the full mark and dump). Then fill tank 1/4 full of water, whole bottle of pine-sal and just before you drive out of campground put two bags of ice down the toilet. When you get to the next campground dump that mix and your tank will be ok. The ice driving down the road helps to remove any hard stuff that sticks to the walls and bottom of the tank.

If you take your rig in for this at a RV service center, the first thing they do is flush out your tank, put 50 pounds of ice down the toilet, drive your rig a few miles around then charge you $80 for "cleaning your black tank" listed on the bill.

Good luck

Paul and Sue
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse
2006 Saturn Ion

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought: turn the exhaust vent fan off before flushing.

Yankee Clipper
1997 Coachmen Catalina 330MB on F53/Ford 460efi
2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quadcab 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS
Not overly concerned about depreciation with this rig...

jvander

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No idea why you're having odor problems all of a sudden. We use Odorlos and are very pleased. No sewer odors, no chemical smell, no perfume smell. I recommend it.

1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
For Sale! $10k, PM me for details

whit6

taranaki

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hi
myself and a friend of mine have a 1995 and 1996 kountry star a class diesel.
if our tanks are full and we drive away to a dump station our motorhomes start smeling either black or grey water (not sure) but think black.but if we only have say around a 1/4 tank they do not smell while driveing.only when they appear over 1/2 full
any help appreciated.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Flush toilet = sewer smell. Suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS