|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What should I do with my Rubber Roof

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/11 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just noticed the white coating on the rubber roof appears to be deteriorating, it has become gooey and sticky.
I can scrape the white aside with my finger nail quite easily and expose the black rubber underneath, the roof does not leak.
Has anyone had this happen and would a roof coating like kool seal or a similar product bond to the gooey coating on the roof now.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Conure Named Buzz

A1B00902

Vancouver B.C CANADA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/11 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished our RV roof myself,I used the 2 step Dicor Acrylic coating
after removing all vent covers plus a/c shrouds

First step was the cleaner/primer then light power wash, let dry few hours, the whole process has to be done in one day

I put on three coating during the rest of the day ,2-3 HOURS APART
if you plan on doing it yourself,after the first coating, remove you shoes and just have bare feet or socks, the new coating marks pretty quickly so far it looks really good

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would recommend that you clean the roof with TSP, a soap from your local paint store, or Home Depot. Then apply this stuff.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

You can get it in 1 gallon or 4 gallon pails, 4 is probably more than enough for a 30' RV. It will not flake off like the original coating, so no more white streaks.

The single part coatings, well I was not to happy with those. I think it was Kool Seal or something like it that disolved when exposed to constant water on the roof of my old camper. It was fine as long as it dried out every few days, but when a low spot was underwater for a long time (in Washington), well it disolved back into it's water based formula, and let the water right in.

The product above is a two part - with a catalyist, so it will not come apart once it drys. There is a video on application on RV roofs on the website.

Fred.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was in good condition but I decided to coat it anyway(belt and suspenders). I used Kool Coat or Seal from Camping world and it's been on 5 years now with no peeling. You must follow the directions. Wash roof, apply primer and let dry, then two coats of the Kool Coat letting it dry between coats. I even put it over the adhesive and it worked. Like fred says no more black streaking. If mine fails then Im going to go with Fred's idea. Mines a 96 and no leaks yet.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings.1996 Jayco C 22 foot with 460/Banks Powerpak/Bilsteins.Wife and daughter. Two cats which control my life. 1975 Ford F-250, 84 Coupe Deville, Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

Wally Walleye

Shohola Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just had our roof done by Minnesota Roofing & RV

www.rvroofing.com (don't know how to do a link) You can either do it yourself or have them do it for you. I would suggest you have something done before you have a leak. That will just increase your money output. Roof looks great.

deerslayerah

ELKIN N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

I would recommend that you clean the roof with TSP, a soap from your local paint store, or Home Depot. Then apply this stuff.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

You can get it in 1 gallon or 4 gallon pails, 4 is probably more than enough for a 30' RV. It will not flake off like the original coating, so no more white streaks.

The single part coatings, well I was not to happy with those. I think it was Kool Seal or something like it that disolved when exposed to constant water on the roof of my old camper. It was fine as long as it dried out every few days, but when a low spot was underwater for a long time (in Washington), well it disolved back into it's water based formula, and let the water right in.

The product above is a two part - with a catalyist, so it will not come apart once it drys. There is a video on application on RV roofs on the website.

Fred.
i think this is the same stuff i had mine covered with if its the same thing you have to mix a two part mixture and roll it on with a paint roller mine has held up 2 years and counting cost was around 400.00$ for every thing

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info.
The camper is a 1994 vintage.
I cleaned the roof and removed and replaced all the old calking just last year and it looked pretty good when I finished.
I was amazed at how much the white rubber coating has deteriorated since, in some places it is like goo.
There are some spots that were covered with caulking until I scrapped it off, those areas are like new but where it has been exposed to the Florida sun for years I guess it took its toll.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

images wrote:

Thanks for all the info.
The camper is a 1994 vintage.
I cleaned the roof and removed and replaced all the old calking just last year and it looked pretty good when I finished.
I was amazed at how much the white rubber coating has deteriorated since, in some places it is like goo.
There are some spots that were covered with caulking until I scrapped it off, those areas are like new but where it has been exposed to the Florida sun for years I guess it took its toll.

I would consider using a fairly thin sheet of aluminum laid right on top of the rubber and securing it along the edges, front and back and maybe a could of other areas with screws covering all areas with Eternabond. If you do that before you actually have leaks then you basically have dual coverage and things like branches, etc. aren't such an issue.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What should I do with my Rubber Roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS