Have had our share of damages from side swiping a gas pump island while pulling away to rocks into the windshield and the hood from the great roads in Alaska, especially the Taylor Highway.
The recent one was due to a lemon. We harvested Meyer Lemons in California in the first week in February. Apparently one got away and rolled under the seat of the tow'd. The last week in March, when we pulled into a winery yard for a night of free boondocking (see http://www.harvesthosts.com/ for details) the stench of burning brakes was in the air. After some head scratching and looking at various parts of the car I looked under the seat and saw that a lemon had affixed itself in the cableway from the US Gear mechanism to the brake pedal preventing the brakes from releasing. Four brake pads and two rotors later we are back in business. I would be less unhappy if the brakes had more than 15,000 miles on them, just replaced them last fall.
Trucking down the road in our new Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526
So far (crossing fingers) nothing yet. I use a dolly and the thing I have done, twice now, is I forgot to remove the safety strap from the toad frame to the dolly. When I tried to back-up I would get stuck and then realize what I had done. No damage, except for a bit of my pride. Also, good to know that the strap is strong enough to resist me trying to drive off the dolly while it is still strapped down!
2004 Damon Intruder 369W Workhorse Chassis
Mods: LCD TV in Bedroom, Steer-Safe, Winegard Wingman, Bulk LP Gas Adapter for my Camp Chef Grill, Cobra 29 LX LE CB 50th Anniversary Radio with a 3' Firestick NGP Antenna, EEZRV Products TPMS
Can't blame the dw, only myself. Left the emergency brake on once, only went about 100 feet with no damage. Now the bad one - failed to properly align the pin with base plate on passenger side of car. Even stuck the lynch pin in and locked it. Pulled up on it, but guess I did not push down!!! Took off after "checking" everything and looked in the camera and saw only one arm hooked to the car. Slight bend at toad end of Blue Ox tow bar arm that was properly hooked. No other damage. Still don't know how I pulled that one, but I did it!
After four years of towing without incident, somehow my toad came unhooked while exiting an RV park in Utah. My toad - Honda Odyssey - crashed into the backend of my coach, requiring $2,300 worth of fiberglass work.