RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Trip Planning Software with Route Elevation Profile?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Trip Planning Software with Route Elevation Profile?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jimbowilly

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know of any trip planning software that will display the elevation profile of your route? This would be helpful in pinpointing any steep grades along the way.

What I mean is, you pick driving directions from point A to point B. With the directions, it would display a visual graphing of the elevation changes along the way.

I was able to do this using Google Maps and another mapping program I own, but it takes a few steps. But then you can see the potential steep grades and go to Google Street View to check it out.

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/11 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimbowilly wrote:

Does anyone know of any trip planning software that will display the elevation profile of your route? This would be helpful in pinpointing any steep grades along the way.

What I mean is, you pick driving directions from point A to point B. With the directions, it would display a visual graphing of the elevation changes along the way.

I was able to do this using Google Maps and another mapping program I own, but it takes a few steps. But then you can see the potential steep grades and go to Google Street View to check it out.

The CD version of TL Campgound Directory does this although it isn't a visual version but rather a written version which describes the altitude along your route. Perhaps there is a way that you could then convert this to a visual display.

Dennis Osha

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/11 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I occasionally use DeLorme Topo USA 8.0.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jimbowilly, what other software did you use to export Google Maps into?

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I frequently use Acme Mapper as it gives me a road map view, aerial views and also topo.

Here are some reasons why I like it.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

jimbowilly

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeffcarp wrote:

Jimbowilly, what other software did you use to export Google Maps into?

After I export the KML file (the Google maps file), I import that into a program called Topofusion. This is a GPS mapping program I use a lot and it works very well for that, but it's not really made for trip planning.

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this sight. I think this link is showing a location now. On the right, it shows longtitude and Latitude and elevation. Just above this, I clear, then click on a highway. One point at a time.

I don't know how accurate it is, it gives a good idea. I don't understand what this sight does with multiple points. I just do one at a time.

Elevation

Hope this helps!
Pat

Well, that wasn't very clear....I use this elevation site and Micrsoft Streets & Trips.
Pat

* This post was edited 06/25/11 07:30pm by Jay Pat *

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/11 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GPSVisualizer is good option, but it doesn't let you do any planning based on elevation or grade. It just lets you see the elevation profile of a selected route. In Google Maps, you need to build your route. After you've built your route, you have to save it as a MyMap. Once it is a MyMap, click the option to send it to Google Earth. Instead of opening the file in Google Earth, save the file to your hard drive. Go to this site: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation and upload your file that you downloaded from MyMap. If you pick the Draw Elevation Profile option, you see a nice graph of your routes elevation profile.

You can also get the raw data out of this by picking a TXT file and the Convert & Add Elevation option. With some math inside a spreadsheet, it might be theoretically possible to calculate the actual road grades. The problem is that the output is given in latitude/longitude. It would take math skills beyond mine to determine the distance between two latitude/longitude coordinates, in order to determine the run needed for the rise / run equation needed to determine road grade.

danglo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/11 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the cheap, you can create a route using Google Earth and just watch the elevation change as you trace your route with your mouse.

danglo

CoolJourney

AZ Sandbird

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DeLorme Topo 8 or 9 will do exactly what you want. Set up your route, right click on the route and select profile. You will get all of the information you need in a chart at the bottom of the window. Also, Topo will shade the route differently in the areas where there are steep grades. We use Topo with an attached GPS when we are traveling down the road and my wife alerts me to steep grade changes before we get there. Topo also has a 3-D option where you can view terrain in a highly customizable 3-D view. Kind of cool, but not practical for route navigation.

Bill

jimbowilly wrote:

CoolJourney's Travels
2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
2007 Honda CR-V

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Trip Planning Software with Route Elevation Profile?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS