|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon - No More Unlimited Data On New plans

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unlimited smartphone data will no longer an option on new Verizon plans after July 7. All data plans will have a data limit with a fixed price. Examples:

2GB - $30
5GB - $50
10GB - $80
Hotspot use - 2GB - $20
With tethering an extra $20 with 2GB more data

Does not effect existing plans.
I am sure AT&T won't be far behind.

Verizons New Data Plans

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

creeper

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/11 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Complete rip off, but the wave of the future until customer base starts to drop.

ATT has already had limits, Verizon is just following suit.

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/11 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post on the VZW site stated existing plans are not affected, only plans taken on or after July 7. Not sure where on the site it was, I followed a link from the Droid forums.

If you are considering a Verizon 4G phone and want the "unlimited" plan, better get to shopping! [emoticon]

Droid Charge 4G
HTC Thunderbolt 4G
LG Revolution 4G
4G Mobile Hot Spot

Sailingnuts

San Jose, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All plans will be under the new rules. I have received a letter from Verizon stating that my existing plan will be terminated once the existing contract is up (2 years from inception) or get a new phone or renew it for any reason.
There is no exception to the rule this time.

All the best,
1st Mate (The Admiral) & Sailingnuts
2005 Winnebago Journey 36' DP, 350 CAT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland TOAD

Sailingnuts

San Jose, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/11 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTompkins3 wrote:

Sailingnuts wrote:

All plans will be under the new rules. I have received a letter from Verizon stating that my existing plan will be terminated once the existing contract is up (2 years from inception) or get a new phone or renew it for any reason.

Are you talking about the current $29.99 plan for smartphones, or are you talking about the "unlimited" plan for the 3G data cards/modems/3G mifi? These are 2 separate animals, and I understand that the unlimited data only plans are going away at the end of current contract.

In my case, I have a Blackberry Storm 2 (Smartphone) with a Global Unlimited Data Plan that costs $69.99 for unlimited text and e-mail, worldwide. This plan is going away. Verizon is stating that they will put me on the $30 Data Plan once my contract expires or I upgrade my phone.

RTompkins3

Jefferson, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/11 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sailingnuts wrote:

Are you talking about the current $29.99 plan for smartphones, or are you talking about the "unlimited" plan for the 3G data cards/modems/3G mifi? These are 2 separate animals, and I understand that the unlimited data only plans are going away at the end of current contract.

Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/11 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]

Verizon Indirect Dealer Memo

In case any of that has gone over your head, here is a complete summary of everything:

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.

Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

– ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

$30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage

$50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

$80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)

PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.

[image]

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/11 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sailingnuts wrote:

Not disputing you and the letter you got. There are a lot of discussions on the various Droid forums that say VZW is clarifying by saying that buying a different phone after the 7th will not cause you to be de-grandfathered. New comers are the ones impacted.

That said, it seems fluid...I suspect we'll see a definitive answer in the coming days. I hope.

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have gone over 200MB in a month but just once in 3 years with my iPhone (AT&T) so this really does not seem onerous to me. At home I use wifi and on the road I usually stop in at a wifi hotspot for any real heavy use. In fact I would love to see a reduced rate plan if I ever switched to Verizon.

Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B
Visited states in an RV

Sailingnuts

San Jose, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belgique wrote:

Sailingnuts wrote:

Not disputing you and the letter you got. There are a lot of discussions on the various Droid forums that say VZW is clarifying by saying that buying a different phone after the 7th will not cause you to be de-grandfathered. New comers are the ones impacted.

That said, it seems fluid...I suspect we'll see a definitive answer in the coming days. I hope.

We need to wait and see. So far, my calls to them have been very clear. Once the contract is up or I upgrade my phone the existing Global Unlimited Data Plan that I have is gone. They have been very clear that I do not have to do anything now. Actions will happen only when the contract is up or I upgrade my phone. Whatever comes first.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon - No More Unlimited Data On New plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS