|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat Tow 2011 Ford Escape

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
DJSunseeker

Desert Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/11 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too, sorry to day, have joined the fleet of RV'ers trying to tow a Ford Escape with the 6F35 Transmission.
With 321 miles on my new 2011 Escape, and 300 miles into my first tow, the Tranny went up in smoke. Ford replaced it under warranty, adjusted the tranmission fluid level for towing and sent me on my way. But the more research I do on this the worse the issue becomes. Now I'm 2,000 miles from home and trying to decide what to do, sell it, trade it, buy a pump, get a tow dolly?

Ronald M

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/11 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if I'm just doing something right, or just lucky.
I have almost 15,000 miles on my 2010 Escape with the 6speed tanny.
Over 6000 miles towing with no troubles.
When towing I never go over 65mph, and I start the engine every 250 to 300 miles (witch is about a days driving for me) to circulate the fluid.

Ron & Agnes
1999 3865 Dutch Star DP
Updated 2009 Full paint, new carpet & tile
Spartan IFS Chassis 300hp Cummins
2010 Ford Escape
FMCA 333800

vfrmarc

Hamburg TWP Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/11 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJSunseeker wrote:

Ford replaced it under warranty, adjusted the tranmission fluid level for towing and sent me on my way.

Question, did Ford adjust your fluid level before you towed when new?

Mine was adjusted before we took delivery (2010 Fusion) and 25,000 miles later everything is fine - we have approx 6000 miles towing.

Clemkad

Boston area, Massachusetts, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/11 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too am very interested if DJSunseeker had the fluid adjusted to the tow level before towing and having problems. I'm not hijacking this thread but adding for the benefit of all Escape dinghy owners.

My 2010 Escape has overheated several times. In working with Ford, I finally found out that Ford made a design change to the transmission in early February 2010. Mine does not have that change (built January 2010). But what strikes me about this thread is the discussion is on a 2011 Escape which certainly should have the newer design. Something about a "baffle" change.

So, if DJSunseeker had the newer transmission and had the fluid at the correct level, why is Ford still having problems with Escape dinghy towing? Not a good sign.

2000 Coachmen Santara Class C 315QB
2002 Dodge Neon SXT

svpassion2

Pensacola

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/11 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2011 Escape one month old. Just towed from Pensacola, Fl to Moab, Utah where I had it checked by Dealer because I was having to put trans fluid in everytime I drove it, not when towing. Dealer advised that the Front driver side seal was leaking but did not have seal or time to install. He did call the dealer in Bend, Or. and set up an appointment with the dealer to have seal replaced. When dealer in Bend checked it they said seal was not leaking but Trans was burned up. We are in Bend for a week while trans is repaired. We have proof from purchase dealer that fluid was at proper level, I ran car in morning, and every four hours on entire trip. Ford is repairing under warranty and has given us a loaner. Car is great, I hope this will be a one time problem.

kvturner1

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/11 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJSunseeker wrote:

I too, sorry to day, have joined the fleet of RV'ers trying to tow a Ford Escape with the 6F35 Transmission.
With 321 miles on my new 2011 Escape, and 300 miles into my first tow, the Tranny went up in smoke. Ford replaced it under warranty, adjusted the tranmission fluid level for towing and sent me on my way. But the more research I do on this the worse the issue becomes. Now I'm 2,000 miles from home and trying to decide what to do, sell it, trade it, buy a pump, get a tow dolly?

On June 30th, my new 2011 Escape, during my first tow, burned up the transmission after 320 miles. Mine was built in November 2010 and delivered from the selling dealer with the transmission level set for towing. My Escape is 320 miles away from me being held hostage. The repairing dealer refused to allow me to take the vehicle to the selling dealer. Now I am back at work, no more vacation time. I have been trying to get Ford Customer Service to ship the Escape to the selling dealer. I am planning on flat towing again...if I ever get my Escape back.

vfrmarc

Hamburg TWP Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/11 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure the dealers set the fluid level correctly so you have to trust but verify. Make them show you the level is correct. The transmission must be warmed up and the fluid checked as described in the manual, but the fluid should just touch the bottom of the low level on the dip stick.

My dealer gave me a disgusted look (as if he I didn't trust him) when I took the car back just before my first tow, but he showed me it was correct. And so far no troubles.

cscmretsourdough

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/11 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed our 2010 ford escape 2wd six cyl auto from GA to Northern CA. had about 4100 miles on the vehicle. First problem battery,in TN would not crank. Charged battery, put vehicle through tow procedures per Owners Manual and towed to El Reno, OK. Started vehicle after about three hours, it was fine. Next AM dead battery again. Jump start and took to local Ford Dealer, did not have time to check. Went about fifty miles to another dealer in Elk City OK. Battery diagnosed as defective, replaced by dealer. They recomended we add a charge line to battery while towing but they said to take to a RV service to have it done. No problems then until we hit Northern CA. We drove the car to Brookings, OR. Check engine light and a wrench light came up on the Instrument Panel. Called Ford Agency in Grants Pass OR, it was closest dealer, about 65 miles from where we were staying. They advised we bring the car in, it was driveable. They diagnosed Transmission problem, Torque converter and solenoids burnt up. Said we were the first unit brought in with out having to be towed. They serviced unit, took five days. Had a charge line added to tow cable while in GP. Drove the Ford about 1100 miles before towing again. Left Crescent City, CA to Petaluma, CA, about 320 miles. Stopped once in route to run car per Owners manual. next day car started fine, put through paces and towed to Lost Hills,CA. Stopped to run the engine and it would not crank. Had car towed to Bakersfield to Ford agency. Transmission and other plastics parts fried per Service Manager. All replaced by Ford. Now taking back home on a tow dolly, Ford to pay costs. Will get with selling dealer on return home.
The Transmission fluid was set on the low (fill) line per owners manual before starting trip, engine run at least five minutes and run through gears before starting each day, put in neutral and ignition
switch in accessory position with radio and a/c off.
The Ford dealers we stopped at were very helpful but could offer no explanation as to why the problems.

* This post was edited 07/16/11 12:04pm by cscmretsourdough *

BBQTVPA

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just add us to the list of defunked Escape owners that are waiting on Ford to put a third transmission in our vehicle. Our wonderful 2010 Ford Escape blew the first transmission August 2010 while returning from a 200 mile trip. The second one went on a less than 200 mile trip from TN to GA, we were told it was a cracked battery. We left April 1st for a trip out to the west coast and back and surprising no issues until we were less than 20 miles from home when the last transmission went. So far Ford has had our vehicle since June 6, 2011. We have heard they shipped the transmission, they shipped the pump. They have the pump and are waiting for the transmission. Today the response was Ford was there yesterday and they are going to redesign the transmission. They did give us a loaner car, but it is not towable or have the dental work, so we are stuck until someone replaces or fixes our toad. Running out of patiences and want to get back on the road. I will let you know when we get the issue resolved.....wish it would be by Friday, but I will not hold my breath.

Serengeti2001

Avon Park, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just want to say Thank you to all that posted on this topic.
We were so close to buying a 2011 Ford Escape and we even had it picked out and after reading this thread and talking to a transmission repair person we bought a Chevrolet Equinox (UGH) since I am a Ford person I didn't like my decision but I also like my wallet.
I know that all Ford Escapes don't have a problem but we didn't want to take a chance.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat Tow 2011 Ford Escape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS